Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Touchup Paint  (Read 12714 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Touchup Paint
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 01:45:08 AM »

$19 for the SERK Touch Up Kit. 2 friggin nail polish bottles, 1 Black Ice, 1 Pewter Leaf. Such a bargain! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »

$19 for the SERK Touch Up Kit. 2 friggin nail polish bottles, 1 Black Ice, 1 Pewter Leaf. Such a bargain! ;) Hoist! 8)

Don't forget, you'll also need a nail polish bottle of clearcoat to go with it.  :)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 11:03:23 AM »

Don't forget, you'll also need a nail polish bottle of clearcoat to go with it.  :)

Jerry
  OK, I didn't know that.  Is it available at an HD dealer, or can I get it from a PPG distributor?  Sure would like to know how I'm supposed to apply the gold and green.  I think gold goes on first, then green, and with this new knowledge I've just gained, clear as the top coat(s). 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »

OK, I didn't know that.  Is it available at an HD dealer, or can I get it from a PPG distributor?  Sure would like to know how I'm supposed to apply the gold and green.  I think gold goes on first, then green, and with this new knowledge I've just gained, clear as the top coat(s). 

Most auto parts stores any any automotive paint supply house will have touch up clear.  Probably even Wal Mart.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 08:41:29 PM »

If you are not sure when to use the basecoat....you may want to rethink the whole touch-up approach. Someone who understands and is patient can touch-up a spot until it's height exceeds the remainder of the finish, then using fine sandpaper (I use 1500 - 2000grit) bring it back down,carefully, and then buff with the appropriate pads and products until the touch-up just goes away.
If you have never done all these steps. Take a piece of scrap and practice, a lot. Until when you get done buffing, the repair is no longer visible. Then try it on the bike.
Most scratches do not go thru the base and you will only use the mid and top coats to touch-up.

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »

If you are not sure when to use the basecoat....you may want to rethink the whole touch-up approach. Someone who understands and is patient can touch-up a spot until it's height exceeds the remainder of the finish, then using fine sandpaper (I use 1500 - 2000grit) bring it back down,carefully, and then buff with the appropriate pads and products until the touch-up just goes away.
If you have never done all these steps. Take a piece of scrap and practice, a lot. Until when you get done buffing, the repair is no longer visible. Then try it on the bike.
Most scratches do not go thru the base and you will only use the mid and top coats to touch-up.

I worked in a body shop for a number of years and learned this little trick over the years.  Most all touch up paints are laquer, the factory motorcycle paint is bascoat/clear coat.  Use a tiny amount of laquer thinner on a peice of old tshirt wrapped tight on an old credit card or similar material so it concaves and gently rub over the blob after it has dried to level it.  You must not allow the paint to dry for more than a couple of days.  Keep applying touch-up paint/dry/rub blob until it is level.

By using this method, you don't have to sand and risk sanding scratches in your clearcoat and un-necessary buffing.
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 10:39:58 PM »

I worked in a body shop for a number of years and learned this little trick over the years.  Most all touch up paints are laquer, the factory motorcycle paint is bascoat/clear coat.  Use a tiny amount of laquer thinner on a peice of old tshirt wrapped tight on an old credit card or similar material so it concaves and gently rub over the blob after it has dried to level it.  You must not allow the paint to dry for more than a couple of days.  Keep applying touch-up paint/dry/rub blob until it is level.

By using this method, you don't have to sand and risk sanding scratches in your clearcoat and un-necessary buffing.

This sounds like my kind of method.  I'm a slob with paint anyway, so I'd likely do as recommended earlier and practice on a scrap piece.  Laquer thinner:  Is that the same thing as mineral spirits?

Something about using any grade of sandpaper on a finished surface makes me cringe like when someone scrapes their fingernails across a blackboard.......just like using steel wool on chrome.  Just the thought gives me chills.   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »

Mineral Spirits is not LACQUER THINNER. Be very carefull with Lacq thinner on the bike, you can make a lot bigger mess with it than with 2000 - 3000 grit sandpaper and do it a lot quicker.
Lacquer thinner can be bought at Walmart etc. No one sprays lacquer any more on cars, at least not legally so easiest place is a hardware store to find it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.