Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: you think harleys hard to deal with!!!  (Read 11049 times)

twincam

you think harleys hard to deal with!!!
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »

well we all know how much trouble everyone went through with the paint on the 06, well it must be catching, I bought a 2007 chevy truck in Dec, since the buy, it has had a leak in the tranny,exhaust leaks, air condition problems, and this last weekend the rear end burnt up!!!! I checked the grease level, it is supposed to be 5/8 to 1 5/8 from the check plug...... it was 3 inchs down ,no leaks,was that way from the factory, melted all the paint off the casings. the dealer looked at and said the problem was pinion gear to tight from factory. so, either way low on grease or pinion to tight I figure its the factories fault right? right..... but they still will not replace the rear end, they will replace parts barrings pinion, ring gear....... but not axles or housing?????? WTF????? it got hot enough to melt the paint, it was run 18000 miles low on grease.. really low on grease, they are tring to tell me it didnt hurt the axles and they only want to fix it half way? the dealer stated they have seen 8 to 10 new chevy trucks that have done this. so, BEWARE  :soapbox: :soapbox:OF BUYING A NEW CHEVY TRUCK!!! just as in HD'S case they know there is a problem and they don't want to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been fighting with factory reps all week.........woman that dont know a axle from a carb....no offense ladies. but these reps sound on the phone like vally girls and are not affraid to tell you they dont know anything about axles, gears, or barrings but they are the ones making the decissions on my case... this really sucks no more chevys for me I am trading it in on a dodge, toyota, ford anything but a gm product!!!!!! >:(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:20:39 PM by twincam »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: you think harleys hard to deal with!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:05:26 AM »

If it's reliability you're looking for, I hate to say it, but I'd stay away from the American manufacturers.  I am a die-hard Mopar fan, but don't go looking to them for a trouble-free product, either.  I will deal with the problems, because, like Harleys, they are in my blood, but all three of the Dodge/Chrysler units I've bought in the last 30 months have had their share of malfunctions.  Perhaps the only saving grace has been that I have got to have the best Mopar tech in the country, bar none, at my dealer.  I don't think he's spent more that 60 seconds diagnosing any of the issues I've had and the repairs are always done in such a manner that you can't tell anyone's even so much as turned the ignition key on to drive it around to his bay from the service entrance -- he is just that particular and careful with my machines.  Also, I have yet to have any warranty claims denied, so that may be one stark contrast versus your situation, but the fact remains, you very rarely (or at least I don't) hear of the Toyota or Nissan guys having the types of problems us Big 3 types do. :nixweiss:

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 06:18:04 AM »

If it's reliability you're looking for, I hate to say it, but I'd stay away from the American manufacturers.  I am a die-hard Mopar fan, but don't go looking to them for a trouble-free product, either.  I will deal with the problems, because, like Harleys, they are in my blood, but all three of the Dodge/Chrysler units I've bought in the last 30 months have had their share of malfunctions.  Perhaps the only saving grace has been that I have got to have the best Mopar tech in the country, bar none, at my dealer.  I don't think he's spent more that 60 seconds diagnosing any of the issues I've had and the repairs are always done in such a manner that you can't tell anyone's even so much as turned the ignition key on to drive it around to his bay from the service entrance -- he is just that particular and careful with my machines.  Also, I have yet to have any warranty claims denied, so that may be one stark contrast versus your situation, but the fact remains, you very rarely (or at least I don't) hear of the Toyota or Nissan guys having the types of problems us Big 3 types do. :nixweiss:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........that's a different spin on the issue.  I am a fairly new Mopar fan after driving a 1982 Ford F100 for 430K miles.  I wanted a diesel, and I wanted a REAL diesel..............not an engine based on gasoline architecture that runs on diesel.  So I bought a Dodge with a Cummins Turbo Diesel, and I have not had one lick of even so much as a hint of trouble out of that vehicle.  Had it two years this month.  Have right at 50K on it, and it has been moderately worked.................nothing so much as most one tons are worked, but it has seen its share of flogging under load.  Good truck.  There will never never be jap crap in my driveway..............I don't care if I have to sop up oil leaks until the day I die.................I will not own anything but American branded vehicles...........well, besides Chevy, that is.  Reminds me too much of Jeff Gordon.  AAAACCCKKK!!! :o

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:48:24 AM »

Twincam-
Sorry to hear of the problems with your new truck.  A coworker has an 06 Chevy 1500 and had a noisey rearend since new.  The dealer changed the pinion bearings.  The dealer didn't shim it right so Chevy put him in a new loaded axle housing (from wheel to wheel).  You may still get what you want as there aren't many people that can set up a rearend in an axle housing properly.  Good luck.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »

I guess car dealerships can be like different Harley dealerships? Some don't give you a problem with claims and others fight anything.
As far as what brand to buy I have seen many articles that show complaints and recalls and the "American" cars and trucks are pretty even with the "imports". It is very hard to distinguish nationalities of vehicles when you have "American" cars assembled in foreign countries or with imported parts, then you have "imports" built in America.
I have been very happy with GM product over the years in general but in the 1980s Olds had a  paint problem on both my parent's and my Delta 88 the Olds dealer gave us a hard time and we decided not to return to that dealership. At the same time my Suburban had a paint problem but the Chevy dealer said no problem and fully repainted it and gave me a loaner car.(American assembled)
My next Suburban was Canadian and I had absolutely no problems with it for 9 years. Since 2004 I have been driving my Avalanche (assembled in Mexico) and have not had any problems with it and it may be the best vehicle I have owned.
I go to a local Chevy dealer that treats my entire family with respect and the service department has never given us problems on claims or repairs. Because of their treatment I have been buying Chevys or getting service from them for the past 15 years.
Many folks develop brand loyalties and it may be based on several things including past good or bad experiences with a car or truck as well as dealings with the dealerships. Then you have the loyalty issues based on emotions or how you were raised. (Ford family vs. Chevy etc.)
I personally feel every brand has made some good vehicles in the past or present and each brand has made some lemons too.

Like someone once told me "Every car dealer has a service department,even Rolls-Royce. Anything made will possibly break or wear out."

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »

Bike shops are like car dealers in that if you find one with a great
Service manager, he will go out of his way to help you.

twincam

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:15:07 AM »

Twincam-
Sorry to hear of the problems with your new truck.  A coworker has an 06 Chevy 1500 and had a noisey rearend since new.  The dealer changed the pinion bearings.  The dealer didn't shim it right so Chevy put him in a new loaded axle housing (from wheel to wheel).  You may still get what you want as there aren't many people that can set up a rearend in an axle housing properly.  Good luck.

thanks bro, I told them when I dropped it off , they might as well balance all 4 wheels while they are at it, becouse when I pick it up there best not be a hint of vibration, whin, or any thing that reminds me of a rear end problem or its coming back to them within the hour!!!hu come to think of it they told me that they couldnt get a complete rear end!!!

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 06:35:32 AM »

There will never never be jap crap in my driveway..............I don't care if I have to sop up oil leaks until the day I die.................I will not own anything but American branded vehicles...........well, besides Chevy, that is.  Reminds me too much of Jeff Gordon.  AAAACCCKKK!!! :o

Music to my ears.  I thought I was the only one.... :(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »

...............................................I have been fighting with factory reps all week.........woman that dont know a axle from a carb....no offense ladies. but these reps sound on the phone like vally girls and are not affraid to tell you they dont know anything about axles, gears, or barrings but they are the ones making the decissions on my case... ................................. >:(
Reminds me of one of the reasons I changed career paths back in the mid '70's.  I was a Zone Service Manager with an auto company, back when service reps actually knew how to spin wrenches, and I still remember when we hired the first two young ladies straight out of school (non-technical degrees) to become our first female service reps.  The only thing either knew about vehicles was how to turn the key, put them in gear, and drive away.  That was the beginning of the end for true technical assistance; eventually the company just dropped all pretense of on-site technical assistance and set up the phone bank systems you find now (technician calls a "hot line" number rather than have a rep assist him in person).  Unfortunately, most of those phones are manned by non-technical people also.  They just punch your symptoms into a computer program and let it suggest a course of action.  Kind of like the phone support you get with computers; not very satisfying or effective.

The reps are now free to just sell parts and merchandising programs to the dealers, without having to get their hands dirty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »

I drive a 1999 Chevy Z71 with 148000 miles on it ...I use for hutning and everyday driving ...never had a seconds problem with it and does not use a drop of oil between oil changes ...I would call THAT reliable !

Dude
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

twincam

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »

well, picked up the truck from the dealer Sat, drove home about 2 hour drive, by the time I got home, you could smell burnt rear end grease........again!!! drove it a few miles today.... smell is getting worse. this blows, any body got one of those new tundras???????? if so how do you like it?

twincam

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »

Well folks, traded in that lemon 2007 chevy silverado, will never ever go back to a gm product. gm would not stand behind there chit, no way no how, what a shame been a chevy gm man my whole life. anyway traded for a 2007 toyota (made in america) double cab. this truck is 10 times what the chevy was in all aspects!!!! bigger payload, more trailoring cap. puts the chevy to shame in hp. 6 speed tranny. I recommend these trucks to anyone looking!!!! already 4000 miles not a hint of trouble!!!! will post pics in a few!!! also toyota ia having 0% financing in most areas on these trucks!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:51:09 PM by twincam »

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »

Music to my ears.  I thought I was the only one.... :(

LOL!  Nope!  ;)

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:22 PM »

Well folks, traded in that lemon 2007 chevy silverado, will never ever go back to a gm product. gm would not stand behind there chit, no way no how, what a shame been a chevy gm man my whole life. anyway traded for a 2007 toyota (made in america) double cab. this truck is 10 times what the chevy was in all aspects!!!! bigger payload, more trailoring cap. puts the chevy to shame in hp. 6 speed tranny. I recommend these trucks to anyone looking!!!! already 4000 miles not a hint of trouble!!!! will post pics in a few!!! also toyota ia having 0% financing in most areas on these trucks!!!

Bro, it is a terrible thing about the Chevy, but not at all surprising.  Too bad you had to go through with it.  Just don't think I could bring myself to buy a made in America Toyota when all those dollars go right back to the folks who brought us Pearl Harbor...............but that's just me and my train of thought.

twincam

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »

Bro, it is a terrible thing about the Chevy, but not at all surprising.  Too bad you had to go through with it.  Just don't think I could bring myself to buy a made in America Toyota when all those dollars go right back to the folks who brought us Pearl Harbor...............but that's just me and my train of thought.

yea but, when you live 2 hrs from the closest dealer, and your having to make the trip 3 and 4 times a month, becouse the GM company dont want to make a problem they created right, its time for a change!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.