Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: High Powered Job  (Read 3122 times)

charlie

Re: High Powered Job
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 06:59:47 AM »

no dam way.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »

If  he rides a bike, do you think he wears a helmet?

You think that we could get the "protective field" around us to keep the cars and trucks away?

That guy has bigger cajones that anyone I know.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »

A friend of mine is a lineman, last year they changed out towers along Rt.190 in Sterling MA. They changed all the towers "live", 345,000 volts without a hitch.

I'd try the live line work tomorrow with the right training. One thing about electricity is that if you follow the theory it works the way it's supposed too. I've also read that those guys can only work on the lines for a limited amount of time due the the massive EMF(electro magnetic force) surrounding them, seems that you get tired quicker, of course no watches, jewel etc.

I also have a healthy respect for it, a few years ago I had a 4000amp substation blow up with me in the room with it. Sounded like a shot gun being fired over and over until the power from the street finally shut down. Completely vaporized the copper buss bar, multiple 6" wide 1/4" thick layers.

I've also done a fair amount of low voltage live work, 480v and lower. I changed out a pair of 3 phase transformers live with special jumper cables I made up, customer "couldn't" let me shut down the research lab he was working in. As long as you follow the theory it works.

Great video, thanks for posting,
Ed

PS. Thanks Dave!

"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »

God bless those that can and do that type of job...I am afraid of the same things he is...but at least I have enuf sense not to build my professional career around those fears.  I know the theories and electricity is very predictable the problem is that everything else is NOT!!!

Seegarz :-[ :o

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »

God bless those that can and do that type of job...I am afraid of the same things he is...but at least I have enuf sense not to build my professional career around those fears.  I know the theories and electricity is very predictable the problem is that everything else is NOT!!!
Seegarz :-[ :o

Very True!
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »

A friend of mine is a lineman, last year they changed out towers along Rt.190 in Sterling MA. They changed all the towers "live", 345,000 volts without a hitch.

I'd try the live line work tomorrow with the right training. One thing about electricity is that if you follow the theory it works the way it's supposed too. I've also read that those guys can only work on the lines for a limited amount of time due the the massive EMF(electro magnetic force) surrounding them, seems that you get tired quicker, of course no watches, jewel etc.

I also have a healthy respect for it, a few years ago I had a 4000amp substation blow up with me in the room with it. Sounded like a shot gun being fired over and over until the power from the street finally shut down. Completely vaporized the copper buss bar, multiple 6" wide 1/4" thick layers.

I've also done a fair amount of low voltage live work, 480v and lower. I changed out a pair of 3 phase transformers live with special jumper cables I made up, customer "couldn't" let me shut down the research lab he was working in. As long as you follow the theory it works.

Great video, thanks for posting,
Ed

PS. Thanks Dave!

Anytime Ed.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.