Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet Scream, you scream, I scream.......Jack  (Read 4129 times)

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
Jet Scream, you scream, I scream.......Jack
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:22:38 AM »

Gentlemen,

Coming to a town near you is Cycle Solutions Inc.  A one of a kind rolling hi performance speed shop.
(http://www.cyclesolutionsonline.com). Check out their schedule.

Chris Waddell President of Cycle Solutions loves the 110B engine, and has a few modifications up his
sleeve.  I went with TWO simple changes, that may well be worth your attention.

(1) Jet Scream was the first.
It is a tech-no air delivery system $300 installed by them.  It comes with a K&N filter.  You keep the
110 Cubic Inch Screaming Eagle air cover in place, everything up to the butterfly is a quality improvement
over stock.  Every parameter of the quality of air and its effect on this engine (normally aspirated) is
improved,  including oil delivery.  You can put it on yourself, simple enough, 1/2 hour at most.

I noticed the change in throttle the second I pulled away from their rolling shop at "Thunder in the
Valley", Johnstown, Pa., less throttle more power.

Before the air flow improvement I had a powerband like stair steps after 3800 RPM's, now there is
a gentle curve after 4000.

WARNING:  Get rid of that paper air filter the Motor Company has provided.  When I checked the
air filter @ 3000 mi., I noticed a film of microscopic sized dirt covering most of that butterfly.  The
paper filter was passing dirt straight into the engine, or from the micro particles from the dirt in the
oil thru the delivery ports.

(2) NGK Iridium IX (DCPR8EIX) part # 6546 (colder plug) was the second change.  'Chris' says
made just for this engine. Just three days before, I had installed the SE Triple Plat. Split Fire plug
(colder version) with remarkable results.

WARNING :  The original plug supplied is not providing the performance this engine has to
offer.  The original plug was too hot, and I had issues with plugs performance is why I changed
to the Split Fire colder version.

'Chris', calls the original plug, a lawn mower plug.  I have to agree.  When we first talked about
plug change to Iridium, and I mentioned the Split Fire's I had installed, he said that (my words)
they were fragmenting.  There were several people not affiliated with Cycle Solutions that agreed
with him.  Still I rode home an hour away on the interstate with Jet Scream installed and the NGK's
at home from the previous day at "Thunder in the Valley".  The ride home was enlightening.  This
was not the same Bike I rode in with.  'Chris' claims 4 HP just with the Jet Scream, let alone cleaner
filtered air. 

Yesterday I installed the NGK's and took another level up on performance.  When I start the engine
there is an immediate surge at first firing that wasn't there before.  The detonation is crisper,
stronger, the throttle response is a little faster, I'm up to speed faster, pulls stronger.

Summation:  $325 invested (1/100) of my investment and a whole new much better bike.

S/F
                                                                Jack

PS  Thanks Chris & RC, job well done.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:49:21 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Jet Scream, you scream, I scream.......Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »

Jack good info but I thought a hot plug made the motor run cooler because it burned the fuel more efficently what about high octane fuel I have been running 100 or 103 mixed with a high test ????

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »

Jack good info but I thought a hot plug made the motor run cooler because it burned the fuel more efficently what about high octane fuel I have been running 100 or 103 mixed with a high test ????

You have to match the plug's characteristics to the engine's and the operating conditions.  A hotter plug gives faster ignition, but assuming for argument's sake you were completely burning the fuel charge anyway, the plug change would make no difference in the motor's heat.  As that's never really true, it goes back to the motor setup and operating conditions, meaning that the answer "depends."  If you were just blowing out a lot of unburned fuel with the cooler plug, you were running cooler with that plug, and the hotter plug will probably make the motor run hotter.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to say with your comment on octane.  Octane is about knock resistance, not heat value or burn rate.  That goes back to matching up properly with operating setup and conditions again.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:00:43 AM »

The idea of a colder plug is interesting though. I'd like to see a dyno sheet with a before/after chart on what, if any, difference there was.
I was always told to drop a colder plug in for every 75 HP on a car you're going up over stock - rule of thumb
If memory serves me - I was running a colder plug back in 1987 on a built up Evo FXR after the pipe/cam/carb/ign/etc stuff had all gone on
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

bad07sespringer

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 12:34:47 AM »

Welcome Jack, just wanted to let you that I installed a set of the NGK plugs and have noticed that throttle reponse and power seems to be much better than with the triple platmun SE pugs. thanks for the heads up. I plan to make a trip to the dyno soon to see if I picked up any HP or Torque. I'll keep you posted. I bought mine from my local O'rieley auto parts store. $10.00e. Hope everyone has a great 4th. :2thumbsup:

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »

What gap setting  did you use or just out of the box???

bad07sespringer

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »

.040 Do not use the slide to open the gap. You need a wire plug gap w/a slot in it to bend the gap into spec. or be very careful with a pair of needle nose to set the gap.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »

Pain to gap but they do seem to help with throttle response,wanting to ride tomorrow to see ih the temps come down....

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »

guys-
I just put a pair of the NGK's in my bike and I gotta's tell you - it is running better !
I'm sold
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Poe (FXSTSSE2)

• Inferno
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »

Sounds like another must have. 
Appreciate this info guys.
My bike should be in next week and I have damn near read all of this forum this month.
Information sponge.
2008 Screamin Eagle
Springer
3RD HD
1ST CVO
LIVE HARD-PLAY HARD

astromikey

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »

I'm not clear on what you're trying to say with your comment on octane.  Octane is about knock resistance, not heat value or burn rate.  That goes back to matching up properly with operating setup and conditions again.

bc

Um ... I always heard that octane helps stabilize gasoline and that is how it helps an engine resist knock.  It does so by being somewhat harder to ignite, thus less likely to pre-ignite which is a leading cause of audible knock.  Don't quote me I may be wrong.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.