Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anti-Lock Braking  (Read 1343 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Anti-Lock Braking
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:47:24 PM »

While poking around the HD site tonight I see that the FLHPI (Road King) and FLHTPI (Electra-Glide) police bikes have Anti lock brakes availible as an option. Does anyone know what it would take to add them and if it would be worth it? I was unable to find any other reference to the anti=lock brakes on the site.

mfgreen

Re: Anti-Lock Braking
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 11:37:37 PM »

While poking around the HD site tonight I see that the FLHPI (Road King) and FLHTPI (Electra-Glide) police bikes have Anti lock brakes availible as an option. Does anyone know what it would take to add them and if it would be worth it? I was unable to find any other reference to the anti=lock brakes on the site.

H-D Dude,
H-D MoCo is installing the abs unit on the police bikes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:35:47 AM by mfgreen »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:35:12 AM »

I have set up and ridden a flhrpi with ABS, and I can tell you that it is a really good system. It will let the front tire howl with full braking but not lock up, (I tested it from 70mph). It was scary clamping both brakes full on to test the unit, and I made sure that I had on a full face helmet and full leathers before I tested it.
 The down side is that it takes up over half, (the front half) of the right saddlebag. This unit is really big. In fact I have seen units on cars that are smaller.
 I used to have a BMW F650 Dakar with ABS. The unit on the BMW was so small that it didn't change the look of the bike at all, and it was defeatable if you so desired.
 I don't see why HD doesn't offer a BMW type system on all of its bikes. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
MObe

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 11:13:11 AM »

O.K. Harley Davidson......are you taking notes here?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  What does it take for HD to step up and realize that all of our lives are just as valuable as law enforcement.  We want ABS and not a huge obsolete system but one that is small and compact and does the job......the technology isn't even new anymore so please start including it on future models begining with the CVOs!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 12:44:50 PM »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 02:58:10 PM »

I don't recall the nose dive as being excessive. I would say that it was about normal. I had such a pucker going on wondering if I was going to be sliding down the road on my ass, that I didn't pay a lot of attention to anything except that they worked as advertised. The bike still has the std rubber hoses and the rotors are not floating, so in general they were the std crappy feeling HD brakes but with antilock. I think the brake feel on our bikes is superior in every way due to the braided lines and floating rotors. In fact if I buy any other HD the first thing I will do is install braided lines and floating rotors.....Mike
MObe

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 06:30:39 PM »

I don't recall the nose dive as being excessive. I would say that it was about normal. I had such a pucker going on wondering if I was going to be sliding down the road on my ass, that I didn't pay a lot of attention to anything except that they worked as advertised. The bike still has the std rubber hoses and the rotors are not floating, so in general they were the std crappy feeling HD brakes but with antilock. I think the brake feel on our bikes is superior in every way due to the braided lines and floating rotors. In fact if I buy any other HD the first thing I will do is install braided lines and floating rotors.....Mike
mobe,
That certainly sums it up.  Nice to see that the MoCo has added the Brembo brakes to the new Street Rod V-Rod.  We can hope that they are going to bring them to the big 3 of the line up too.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 09:50:51 PM »

Hmm brembos on a harley who would have thought.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »

You! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »

There you go again, Magoo......settin' the pace.

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 21 queries.