Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Washer Recommendation  (Read 3343 times)

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
Pressure Washer Recommendation
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:42:34 PM »

Anyone got a recommendation for a pressure washer for use when I wash my Harley and my F150?

Thanks,

Clyde

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Pressure Washer Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:35:38 AM »

Anyone got a recommendation for a pressure washer for use when I wash my Harley and my F150?

Thanks,

Clyde
Clyde,

My recommendation is to forget the pressure washer when it comes time to wash the bike, unless you enjoy getting water in your electrical connections, wheel bearings, etc. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »

Clyde,

My recommendation is to forget the pressure washer when it comes time to wash the bike, unless you enjoy getting water in your electrical connections, wheel bearings, etc. 

Jerry

I'll second that recommendation.....unless one uses nothing more powerful than the soap application nozzle since it is low pressure.  Even then, it is pointless, since a garden hose has the same effect.  Would be a waste of resources (gas/electricity depending on pressure washer type.)

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:29:51 PM »

Thanks guys, a garden hose it is then.

Clyde

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »

Clyde,

Jerry

The only things I do use a pressure washer on my truck for are the wheels and glass.  I wouldn't bother dragging it out to wash the truck, but if I have it out, it really blasts the bugs and tree sap off the glass, and also takes the brake dust right off the wheels.  I wouldn't risk the paint with a pressure washer, plus if you have any of that fake factory stick-on "pinstriping", a pressure washer will take it right off.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:03:17 AM »

The pressure cleaner will do more harm than good. By hand with soap and a garden hose is the best. The pressure behind the water will do more damage to seals and bearings than you can imagine even though it's an easy way out to get clean.

Rooster452

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »

Pressure washers are great to use on the bike....just before total disassembly of the bike, if your doing a total tear down...paint and mechanical restoration....otherwise leave it in the garage...it will cause mo harm than goood :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Stratus

• Go fast or dont go.
  • www.lakecharlespilots.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 02:31:11 AM »

i would spend my money on a dryer, if you dont have one already. Airforce Blaster or something similar.
My Gallery:cucumber:
2006 FLSTFSE2 Autumn Haze
131 R&R Motor w/Billet oval heads w/comp release
HP 151.5/TQ 163
Horsepower Inc. 58mm Throttlebody
Speed's High Velocity Air Cleaner
Static Compression Ratio 10.8:1
S&S Crankshaft
Camshaft S&S 640
SERT
Rivera pro clutch
8mm hypo wires
R&B Racing LSR 2-1 Pro Stock 124 2" primaries C style 17" collector
Brembo Calipers/Rotors Front and Rear

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:59:20 AM »

I use a Honda 4000 psi pressure washer with chemical injection and have never had a problem.  Only way to clean areas that are inaccessible or very laborious to clean (i.e. undercarriage, wheel wells, etc).  Of course, one needs to be careful and I do not use on the paint (not necessary) nor do I use at max pressure, just enough to get the job done for thorough rinse.  First wet bike down, soak with Meguiars Gold Class soap, then blast off.  Great for cleaning the engine and brake calipers in addition to above.  Great tool and saves a lot of time if you just use common sense.  Dry off bike with Stihl gas powered leaf blower, wipe down and detail from there. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:01:31 AM by pete_4854 »
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.