Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: what age will i be when i cant ride anymore  (Read 5458 times)

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
what age will i be when i cant ride anymore
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »

I watch my dad struggling to do simple things now...he's 81...i'm 54 and in great health, I have riddin for all my adult life, as I watch dad, it makes me wonder at what point will my ridding days come to an end? Hope some of you have some encouraging stories about elder riders!!!! In the mean time I know i have a few miles left in me yet :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: what age will i be when i cant ride anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »

The old couple that own this bike is the salve for concerns.  I have seen them out and about in 10 different states.  Running the rally circuit while the weather is nice.  This old Tour Glide he keeps so loaded up with things (as you see here) that you know the bike has to weigh as much as a Chevelle full of cheerleaders.  Yet he and his wife just go about there merry way enjoying the attention they get, chatting up folks who can't help but look at this old Glide and telling their stories.  They are well in to their 70s now I think.  They may not go fast.  But they go.  And they have a great time.  I want to be them when I grow up.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »

thanx 2lane...But I must be getting older, because that bike interests me more than a chevelle full of cheerleaders,   Thanx for the post...thats just what i was looking for...uplifting thoughts of older riders.....there is hope for us all !!!
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »

As long as you can hold it up your good to go.
Kinda like that other thing to
SLASH

twincam

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »

110 if  we ;D make it that long :pepper: :jalapeno:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

My wife and I have talked about this. With the two prosthetic joints I already have and an ongoing battle with osteo-arthritis, it is impossible to predict when I will no longer have the strength and stability in my joints to balance and hold an 800lb motorcycle with rider and passenger upright. At some point I will buy a trike. What I will be looking for is one which most closely emulates the riding experience you get on two wheels. I don't want a three wheel automobile. All of the fiberglass on the back of most trikes totally turns me off as well as the lack of lean. I've seen trikes where the suspension allows you to lean the bike through turns and ones that look for the most part like the two wheel motorcycles they were built from. That's what I'll be looking for whenever that day comes. The answere might actually be as simple as adding a sidecar. I don't know. One thing I know for sure however is that I will have my knees in the breeze until I am no longer able to sit upright under my own power. Only the Great Biker in the sky knows when that day will be and last I checked, he wasn't offering anyone that type of information.

B B

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »

My wife and I have talked about this. With the two prosthetic joints I already have and an ongoing battle with osteo-arthritis, it is impossible to predict when I will no longer have the strength and stability in my joints to balance and hold an 800lb motorcycle with rider and passenger upright. At some point I will buy a trike. What I will be looking for is one which most closely emulates the riding experience you get on two wheels. I don't want a three wheel automobile. All of the fiberglass on the back of most trikes totally turns me off as well as the lack of lean. I've seen trikes where the suspension allows you to lean the bike through turns and ones that look for the most part like the two wheel motorcycles they were built from. That's what I'll be looking for whenever that day comes. The answere might actually be as simple as adding a sidecar. I don't know. One thing I know for sure however is that I will have my knees in the breeze until I am no longer able to sit upright under my own power. Only the Great Biker in the sky knows when that day will be and last I checked, he wasn't offering anyone that type of information.

B B

I'm with you B B, on the trip back from Nelson we spotted a CVO's nose in a line of bikes and as we drove by to our surprise it was a three wheeler.  Looked great.  At least with some form on three wheels you wouldn't have to support the weight of the bike and it would have to add many years of riding enjoyment.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

As long as you can hold it up your good to go.
Kinda like that other thing to

This guy in the picture is the oldest member of Turkish hog.Hes 72 and he can ride about 900 km a day thats about 600 miles.From the picture he seems like takin good care of other thing too. :drink:
Ridin Legend

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:38:03 PM »

Another
Ridin Legend

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

I am still not bad at neither too. :bananarock: :drink:
Ridin Legend

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »

Another :bananarock: :drink:
Ridin Legend

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »

live to ride     and     ride to live another day    har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »

There's a gentleman in Enterprise, AL, 85 years old, and still riding.  Has a CVO 03 deuce, a CVO 05 Fatboy, a tricked out Road King, and a CVO 01 SERG, as well a a couple BMW bikes.  He rides everywhere he goes.  I hope I'm in as good a health as he is if I make it to that age.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 04:59:31 AM »

Ride and be ridden...until I'm ready for the box.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:45:41 AM »

Mr Fletcher, of Fletchers HD, still rides his toys, a  2003 SERK,a ultra w/ sidecar and mama, and when its raining putts around in his yellow SSR Chevy. ;D  I also have another friend thats 74 that still rides his 06 SE ultra, but likes his new Beemer better. :2vrolijk_21: Age is just a word,no one will realy know when its time to hang it up til that day comes...... Ride On  :2vrolijk_21: and take care.

Dave   
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.