Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SERT / Dyno Tuning Question  (Read 4748 times)

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
Re: SERT / Dyno Tuning Question
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »

Steve -
The SERT's - release "h" - are due to be released Sept. 30.  Since there are 103 and 110 upgrade kits for '08's in the new parts book that require ECM updates, we will hope that there are some maps that will allow '08's to be tuned for a decent AFR, or at least the option to have them tuned by a good tuner.  As we all now know, whatever deal the MoCo made with the EPA will become known in the years to come regarding the bikes ability to be "tuned" outside of pre-set parameters.  I have a response from Dynojet (Power Commander) stating that they have not seen the new ECM yet.  SInce it is a completely new ECM, it will probably be a while before we see any aftermarket solutions for tuning the '08's. 

I have an '08 FLTR that should be here in Sept., so I am also interested in getting a tuning option for the '08's.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Screaming Tuna

• CVO1: 2007 Screaming Eagle Dyna FXDSE
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »

Well - they finished tuning my bike the SECOND time, and still not as strong as results as I had hoped for. They just called and said they got 93 hp and 108 tq peaking at 3500rpm - said the air/fuel graph is PERFECT straight across at 13.2. He sincerely stated he had no idea how to get the 100 hp / 120 tq numbers a few of the 110cid's were achieving with Big Radius exhaust systems - he said they spent 2 1/2 hour tuning and that was the best they could get while keeping the air/fuel ratios at optimum ratios for the sake of drivability.

Any suggestions or comments?

I haven;t ridden it yet, but mechanic claims it is a sweet running ride now?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »

Well - they finished tuning my bike the SECOND time, and still not as strong as results as I had hoped for. They just called and said they got 93 hp and 108 tq peaking at 3500rpm - said the air/fuel graph is PERFECT straight across at 13.2. He sincerely stated he had no idea how to get the 100 hp / 120 tq numbers a few of the 110cid's were achieving with Big Radius exhaust systems - he said they spent 2 1/2 hour tuning and that was the best they could get while keeping the air/fuel ratios at optimum ratios for the sake of drivability.

Any suggestions or comments?

I haven;t ridden it yet, but mechanic claims it is a sweet running ride now?
Ride it and see if you're happy. Don't get hung up on numbers from different bikes/dyno's there are to many variables that come into play. If the AFR is good, and the TQ/HP curves look good, ride it, and enjoy it. It's a possibility that if you put your bike on several different dyno's you'd get different numbers.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 11:28:38 PM »

Tuna,

The numbers you have are fine.   An example to help ease your mind on this one member here on the site had their bike tuned about 100 miles from me and got X numbers came down to Bragging Rights Dyno and lost 15 torque / 14 horsepower.   Only difference was the dyno no other work done same map and everything.  Dyno to Dyno they just differ based on drums, wear, weather, operator, tire pressure, etc etc.

The dyno's just differ so stop fretting and go enjoy it.   Your numbers are in line now and they say you have flat curves to boot.  Go test the grin factor :)

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

Having recently gone thru my own tuning pains/gains, I can relate and share in some of the concerns/frustration that goes with this whole dyno tuning process.   

Besides agreeing with what everyone else has already stated, keep in mind altitude, humidity, temperature, and barametric pressures have significant impact.  Also, if your local dyno is located next to a dry desert condition vs being located near a thriving cornfield you'll see some differences with the final numbers...ie: oxygen rich & cool humidity levels will give you some free bonus numbers that makes one tuner look superior over another.  That's also why drag racers love the midwest tracks (during the growing season) like Topeka for posting record setting numbers.  Lots of corn around that part of the country.   

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »

Having recently gone thru my own tuning pains/gains, I can relate and share in some of the concerns/frustration that goes with this whole dyno tuning process.   

Besides agreeing with what everyone else has already stated, keep in mind altitude, humidity, temperature, and barametric pressures have significant impact.  Also, if your local dyno is located next to a dry desert condition vs being located near a thriving cornfield you'll see some differences with the final numbers...ie: oxygen rich & cool humidity levels will give you some free bonus numbers that makes one tuner look superior over another.  That's also why drag racers love the midwest tracks (during the growing season) like Topeka for posting record setting numbers.  Lots of corn around that part of the country.   

On top of that, motors are like people! They are all different.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »

Like the others said...there are some "happy" dynos out there that report inflated numbers.  If the bike runs well, gets reasonable gas milage, and makes you feel good when you ride it, that's the important stuff.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »

When trying to compare numbers generated on different dyno's, you need to know what gear the run was made in (for instance, some dyno operators will use 5th gear rather than the normal 4th, and this will have a significant impact on the numbers).  You also need to know what correction factor was used, if any.  Correction factors are used to "standardize" dyno results for various atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, and absolute barometric pressure).  In the USA it is normal to see SAE corrected numbers, while in Europe the DIN system is normally used.  The chart should specify the standard used on the test, as well as the actual atmospheric conditions at the time of the test.  Other factors such as the physical condition of the dyno itself can affect the numbers - ask when the dyno was last serviced and calibrated.  

Outside of a major laboratory, dyno results shouldn't be taken too literally.  There are too many variables that are not controlled or even measured in a typical DynoJet installation, and too many ways for either an unscrupulous, or just plain ignorant, operator to affect the results.  Rather than try to compare your final results with someone else's from a different dyno, get a good baseline run prior to your modifications and then compare that to your final numbers on the same dyno with the same operator.  As an example, say Joe gets 85/100 stock, and 95/110 after stage 1 mods.  Ralph goes to a different shop, and his numbers come in at 90/105 stock, and 100/115 after stage 1 mods.  Rather than look only at the final numbers and assume that Ralph got the better tune, look at the before/after differences and realize that both people got a 10/10 increase from stock.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »

I agree with what being said about not getting hung up on the numbers, especially the top numbers. Whats more important that a big number at 6000 RPM is good tq and hp numbers in the ranger you usually ride in. I've seen bikes with really good tq from low to middle rpm range blow off bikes with supposed big hp numbers on the dyno, once they get to 85-90 mph the bigger hp motors start coming back, but it takes a mile or more to catch back up to them. I'd gauge it by how it feels to you and how it performs with the guys you usually ride with, that have comperable setups.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »

yep, lots of dynos will show inflated numbers. lots of tuners know how easy it is to manipulate the figures to gain business or sell their product.

as stated above, the dyno is a tuning tool-------forget the quest for big numbers, if your build and tune are correct, and you are dissapointed, you need more motor!!

you can also have a lazy revving motor that looks great on dyno print-out, only to get smoked by a bike with 20 less tq/hp. good headwork proves this all the time.

and remember this--------------------after the dyno tune, you need a few buttmeter runs to verify/tune drivability.

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 05:31:53 PM »

I had my SERK dynoed at 1000 mile service. It now has 6000 miles on it and been vibrating some. My local shop hooked up the laptop to my SERT and found it had a 103 downloaded in it. Can anyone tell me if it could damage the motor? Local shop put the 110 download in it. They Do not have a dyno shop. Going through Memphis in a couple of weeks and plan on having Bumpus tune it for me.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 06:34:45 PM »

They actually cant tell what map is in it, they can tell what the starting map for the tune is as a base.   If you have a copy of the map you can open two copies of SERT software and compare cell to cell / timing and tell if it was a stock map or not.

When they look in the digital tech they only see the name of the map.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 07:04:35 PM »

I had my SERK dynoed at 1000 mile service. It now has 6000 miles on it and been vibrating some. My local shop hooked up the laptop to my SERT and found it had a 103 downloaded in it. Can anyone tell me if it could damage the motor? Local shop put the 110 download in it. They Do not have a dyno shop. Going through Memphis in a couple of weeks and plan on having Bumpus tune it for me.

Better call ahead and make a reservation, I hear they are running several weeks behind. It is all the 110's getting rear jugs and gaskets replaced.

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »

Talked with the service department yesterday and set up a appointment for Saturday the 18th. Thanks for the info Unbalanced.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 09:43:25 PM »

Your welcome good luck with the tune.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.