Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silicone  (Read 2300 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Silicone
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:54:56 PM »

I recently bought a new polish which doesn't list the ingredients.  I got it during the Sturgis rally in Custer.  I had a friend look at it who is a auto painter.  He said he believed it contained silicone.  He said if you used this polish on anything that needed to be repainted, you would have to take it down to the bare metal or you would get fish eyes throughout the paint job. 
  Before I reveal the name of this product, I would like to know if anyone knows about the problems that silicone would cause.  I have e-mailed the company that makes the polish and asked them to respond as to the use of silicone in their product.  When I have a reply, I'll post it here. -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Silicone
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »

I recently bought a new polish which doesn't list the ingredients.  I got it during the Sturgis rally in Custer.  I had a friend look at it who is a auto painter.  He said he believed it contained silicone.  He said if you used this polish on anything that needed to be repainted, you would have to take it down to the bare metal or you would get fish eyes throughout the paint job. 
  Before I reveal the name of this product, I would like to know if anyone knows about the problems that silicone would cause.  I have e-mailed the company that makes the polish and asked them to respond as to the use of silicone in their product.  When I have a reply, I'll post it here. -Steve

I have "heard" that same thing about silicone.  I don't believe that it would be necessary to take it down to bare material though.  Strip and sand should be all that's necessary, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »

So what's the name of the stuff?

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

It's called Bullet Polish.  You can check it out at www.bulletpolish.com
It was $20 for a 4 oz. bottle that you mix with distilled water.  That makes a gallon.  -I'm afraid to use it on anything if silicone is a bad deal.  The guy marketing it is the same dude that came up with the center stand I bought last year.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:31 PM »

Steve,

Yup, silicone will cause major headaches when doing a paint job.  However, you will find that there are lots of silicone products in the marketplace.  For instance, what do you think is in that tire shine stuff?  It's also in many polish products, rubber dressings, etc.

There are products for removing silicones prior to performing a paint repair.  It is not necessary to "take it down to the bare metal" to prevent fisheyes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 21 queries.