Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: What's the real lowdown on the 110 motor ?  (Read 4306 times)

SPIDERMAN

What's the real lowdown on the 110 motor ?
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »

Is this motor a lemon off the assembly line or is the assembly line to blame ?

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: What's the real lowdown on the 110 motor ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »

Is this motor a lemon off the assembly line or is the assembly line to blame ?

B B

They appear to have a bad head gasket design as well as mistakes on the assembly line. The motor itself seems OK. But these common failures we see are due to continual gasket leaks or improper assembly. That's how I'm viewing from this seat! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »

the chinese cast cranks aint helpin either.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:10:20 PM »

the chinese cast cranks aint helpin either.

True Dat RN! But the least they could've done was spring for the Metal Had Gaskets that djkak said work well with the even bigger bore 113's! Damn, the least they could do is make them leak-free, even if the bottom end will blow due to excessive runout!!! ::)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »

We all know how Harley deny's the existence of a problem and then introduces new and improved this or that.

Has anyone heard of any changes to the 110 motors for 2008 ?

The failure rate of these motors has got to be getting the attention of the suits on Juneau Ave.

B B

Rhino

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:57 PM »

From what I hear and see, the motor problem leaks, re head gasket, was due to a very slight misalignment of the gasket, its surface, its hole size at the dowel, and not a wide enough squish area near the dowel holes.

If the gasket was slightly mis aligned, the dowel area would be pinched, not seated, and a slight leak would develop, allowing oil to slither down the cylinder dowels, ending up at the base.

If the gasket holes at dowel were slightly smaller, and the raised perf around the hole was wider, voila, no leaks. I think that the new gasket incorporates some of this, but the final alighment of the gasket and the head and the dowel hole is critical, centered, not off to one side even slightly.  That becomes the responsibility of the wrench to know this when re installing.

Why Moco is installing new cylinders makes no sense to me, but what do I know, can't argue with the almighty MOCO. Which, by the way, is made up of a bunch of people, just like you and me.

Rhino

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »

Rhino,
        Sorry if I don't know what you ride. Do you own a 110 ? If not would you buy one ?

Thanks
            B B

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:43:46 AM »

Spiderman,

Rhino (ronnie) has an 07 ultra with the 110.   

I personally would not buy another one of these POS 110's.   I will most likely keep this one, due to the investment and miles I already have on it, but would highly recommend against buying it until known for a fact the MoCo has a fix that is really a fix.   The MoCo is playing bean counter games right now.   They know the average Joe is going ride 4k miles a year.   So they know they have a 2 year warranty and well 2 gasket fixes and they are on their own or under an extended warranty the few that ride a lot like myself are going to be appeased or we are going to do our own thing.   My bike has been down over 4 weeks with the 4 replacements and now 1 rear jugg.   I have been very tempted to go the route of a 113" and be done with all this crap.   Personally I will be going to a cometic gasket in the near future to see if that cures the ailment.   I suggested the cometic for Howies and thus far he has no leaks and I am hoping to have a good idea if they will hold when he returns from HS should be about 3 to 4k miles on the bike by then.  My problem is if I go cometic the dealer is out of the motor completely and it is on me from there.   

Sorry I am a jaded owner at this point.  Wish  I had gotten another 05 bike to replace my cherry.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »

Spiderman,

Rhino (ronnie) has an 07 ultra with the 110.   

I personally would not buy another one of these POS 110's.   I will most likely keep this one, due to the investment and miles I already have on it, but would highly recommend against buying it until known for a fact the MoCo has a fix that is really a fix.   The MoCo is playing bean counter games right now.   They know the average Joe is going ride 4k miles a year.   So they know they have a 2 year warranty and well 2 gasket fixes and they are on their own or under an extended warranty the few that ride a lot like myself are going to be appeased or we are going to do our own thing.   My bike has been down over 4 weeks with the 4 replacements and now 1 rear jugg.   I have been very tempted to go the route of a 113" and be done with all this crap.   Personally I will be going to a cometic gasket in the near future to see if that cures the ailment.   I suggested the cometic for Howies and thus far he has no leaks and I am hoping to have a good idea if they will hold when he returns from HS should be about 3 to 4k miles on the bike by then.  My problem is if I go cometic the dealer is out of the motor completely and it is on me from there.   

Sorry I am a jaded owner at this point.  Wish  I had gotten another 05 bike to replace my cherry.

Well, 1500 miles it now. looks good so far. Hopefully the Tech took care in installing it and it holds. I'll probably have well over 500 miles on it by the time I return from HS. You know I'll be keeping my eye on it. ;)

Hoist! 8)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »

...too many inches, too lean to make emissions, too much heat. The only fix it to go liquid cooled and our CVO bikes will be the beta units until they get it right. In most industries they compensate the owners of beta units for their grief and input.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:39:28 PM by grandpadoc »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »

Well, 1500 miles it now. looks good so far. Hopefully the Tech took care in installing it and it holds. I'll probably have well over 500 miles on it by the time I return from HS. You know I'll be keeping my eye on it. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie you already have over 500 miles on it.   Surely hope you have around 5k miles by the time you get back.    I just spoke to Wes and mentioned that he found some oil in the intake that you sent back.   Are you going to have Alex look into that or Joe?

Please advise,

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:24:44 PM »

Howie you already have over 500 miles on it.   Surely hope you have around 5k miles by the time you get back.    I just spoke to Wes and mentioned that he found some oil in the intake that you sent back.   Are you going to have Alex look into that or Joe?

Please advise,

-harry

Yes, I meant 5000 miles. I spoke to Wes today and he mentioned that. Joe and I are going to look at it this weekend to see what it looks like behind the throttle plate. Joe thinks it's breather oil from the heads. They wiped down the TB and never went inside the manifold to clean it or check. I spoke to Joe today and we're pulling the A/C assembly to see what's behind the TP. If it's clean on the A/C side and oily on the manifold side, I guess the rings didn't seat right or more defective HD crap. Well, HD pistons and cylinders. Sounds like another top end w.....ty job to me. Except this time, no HD barrels or pistons either! By the time I'm done with HD's mess, there won't be anything but the cases left that's HD! FTF & FTW! ;)

Hoist! 8)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 07:31:12 PM »

Yes, I meant 5000 miles. I spoke to Wes today and he mentioned that. Joe and I are going to look at it this weekend to see what it looks like behind the throttle plate. Joe thinks it's breather oil from the heads. They wiped down the TB and never went inside the manifold to clean it or check. I spoke to Joe today and we're pulling the A/C assembly to see what's behind the TP. If it's clean on the A/C side and oily on the manifold side, I guess the rings didn't seat right or more defective HD crap. Well, HD pistons and cylinders. Sounds like another top end w.....ty job to me. Except this time, no HD barrels or pistons either! By the time I'm done with HD's mess, there won't be anything but the cases left that's HD! FTF & FTW! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie

Why do you think there is a Jim's 120 in my Frontier. In the 120 there was a few Harley parts.
Key word there "WAS".
T man took care of that!

Tuned in January and ridden hard since then.
Changed out the starter, changed oil and filters and that's it.
Hell, it's still got the same plugs.

:2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:35:48 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »

HELLO  ALL ; I was just at the  stealer  today and talking about getting a 105 ann  cuse  after they total out my 06 cuse...  DOES EVERYONE  THINK  THAT I SHOULD  JUST WAIT AND SEE HOW THE 08 ARE - FIXED OR NOT ??????
  THANKS , JEFF

P.S. I HAVE HEARD FROM MANY THERE THERE WILL BE ONLY 1 PER DEALER OF THE;
                        2008 - 105 ANN.  FLHTCUSE = THE ANN   COLORS
AND A TOTAL OF ONLY700 MADE OF THE SCREAMING EAGLE ULTRAS[[ ANN. COLORS ]]]
                              THANKS , JEFF
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »

HELLO  ALL ; I was just at the  stealer  today and talking about getting a 105 ann  cuse  after they total out my 06 cuse...  DOES EVERYONE  THINK  THAT I SHOULD  JUST WAIT AND SEE HOW THE 08 ARE - FIXED OR NOT ??????
  THANKS , JEFF

P.S. I HAVE HEARD FROM MANY THERE THERE WILL BE ONLY 1 PER DEALER OF THE;
                        2008 - 105 ANN.  FLHTCUSE = THE ANN   COLORS
AND A TOTAL OF ONLY700 MADE OF THE SCREAMING EAGLE ULTRAS[[ ANN. COLORS ]]]
                              THANKS , JEFF

The gasket problem won't be fixed out the door, but don't let that stop you from pulling the trigger on an awesome bike. Mine is weeping as we speak and we're leaving tomorrow for Knoxville.

Why are we so worried about a leaky Harley these days? I understand this is the way its supposed to be. It leaks, but it still runs great.

I'm confident this leaky gasket issue will get taken care of. I'm betting on it.

:indian_chief:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.