Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KN  (Read 3182 times)

astromikey

KN
« on: September 21, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

So I ordered KN part HD-0800 ... I have read a couple posts of other people who have done this.  Is it a simple drop in replacement?  The new filter is supposed to be here tomorrow.  The harley store parts counter guy said the SE filter element was as good as KN and was cleanable .. that you clean it with KN filter cleaner, but you just don't oil it; but I didn't believe that.  KN makes filters and I trust that they know how to do so better than Harley who makes bikes very well.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: KN
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:50:48 PM »

So I ordered KN part HD-0800 ... I have read a couple posts of other people who have done this.  Is it a simple drop in replacement?  The new filter is supposed to be here tomorrow.  The harley store parts counter guy said the SE filter element was as good as KN and was cleanable .. that you clean it with KN filter cleaner, but you just don't oil it; but I didn't believe that.  KN makes filters and I trust that they know how to do so better than Harley who makes bikes very well.

In short, no. The K&N HD-0800 requires the S/E backplate, not the stock backplate.

:indian_chief:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »

astromikey,

You are smart to not believe the parts counter guy.  The H-D filter is washable with soap and water, but it is in no way, shape, or form as good as the K&N filter.  It is more restrictive and less durable (many of us had the rubber seals fail in the first 5k miles, and the filter material itself also developed holes in many parts). 

I assume you have an '07 Springer, since the '08 comes with the new "Heavy Breather" aircleaner.  For the life of me I can't remember what kind of filter came with the '07.  Do you have an open metal backplate (SE air cleaner), or the black plastic air box?  If you have the open backplate, the KN-0800 is a direct replacement for the element.  If you have the black plastic housing, then the KN-0800 will not fit.  If you need the SE backplate, there is a list of individual parts you can order rather than the SE kit which would have the cheapo air filter element included.  Go here for info:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php/topic,5725.0/all.html

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

astromikey

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »

Sorry yes it is an 07 FXSTSSE and it came with chrome backplate and you can see the air filter from around the back of the chrome front cover ... it seems like the same thing that I got in the SE Intake kit for my old fatboy, except they changed how the air cleaner ties into the breather tubes to the heads ... there are some funny looking rubber things now ... anyway ... I hope that HD0800 is the same size and has the same three bolts as this paper or fiber looking one that came on my bike ... guess we'll see tomorrow.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »

The KN fit my spring just fine look at my bike pics  somewhere in  here you will find them :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »

Sorry yes it is an 07 FXSTSSE and it came with chrome backplate and you can see the air filter from around the back of the chrome front cover ... it seems like the same thing that I got in the SE Intake kit for my old fatboy, except they changed how the air cleaner ties into the breather tubes to the heads ... there are some funny looking rubber things now ... anyway ... I hope that HD0800 is the same size and has the same three bolts as this paper or fiber looking one that came on my bike ... guess we'll see tomorrow.

You are good to go - the HD-0800 will fit perfectly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

astromikey

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »

Thanks guys ...

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »

Ok, I'm older, and my memory isn't as good as you other guys but when I put the K&N on my 07 springer last year I had to remove a foam spacer from the factory set up and put it on the K&N I think
If not the aircleaner cover wouldn't bolt up tight
Check to be sure before you go out
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

astromikey

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »

I know what you mean ... It doesn't affect the bolt up, but the little foam gasket that comes with the KN isn't big enough so the cover doesn't touch teh a/c like it is supposed to ... hard to tell that it makes much difference other than helping to stabilize the cover ... like help support it with the foam thing instead of only being supported by the center bolt. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »

I know what you mean ... It doesn't affect the bolt up, but the little foam gasket that comes with the KN isn't big enough so the cover doesn't touch teh a/c like it is supposed to ... hard to tell that it makes much difference other than helping to stabilize the cover ... like help support it with the foam thing instead of only being supported by the center bolt. 

You can also get the HD thick rubber gasket that grc mentions in his link to the roll your own a/c.  Just glue it to the K&N outer plate and it will be there!!  It's a firmer foam, so does not compress as much and works well to stabilize the outer cover.  Use blue loctite on both filter and cover, and do NOT overtighten the assembly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.