Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley six-speed gear set  (Read 8341 times)

eddieboy

• write on!
Harley six-speed gear set
« on: February 24, 2005, 05:24:48 PM »

With warm weather around the corner, and CVO owners antsy to stretch the legs of their 95ci and 103ci motors, this new Harley add-on will prove to be tempting, and sales figures back that up.

Word to the Wise: Most will buy the gear set and not the pre-cased version, to save $. Naturally.
Here's the glitch - - the pressure bearing on the case wall, when pulled off (and hopefully not PRESSED off which only makes this problem WORSE) has a tendancy, numbers unknown, to CRACK the case. Then you are high and dry, and Harley is not too anxious to just get up and get you a new case. The local dealer will freak, as the cost is high in good-will and money and time. A one day job can turn into a one-month ordeal, as this is sorted out. The 'question' of if you are still IN WARRANTY even comes up, if you can believe that! So - - buyer beware.

Note: the gear set itself is an older-style JIMS model, with not the latest-and-greatest of design incorporated, as is the case now in the Baker sets, no pun intended. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
eddieboy

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Harley six-speed gear set
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:39:19 PM »

How are you learning of this case cracking problem?  First hand?  Are you getting the gears or the entire tranny?  Inquiring minds want to know.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 08:19:37 PM »

Should add one more option to your poll to allow those that did the Baker DD swap to select that.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 08:21:22 AM »

Really haven't heard anything good about the HD 6 speed its noisy, hard to find neutral, and not a smooth shifter.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 08:27:21 AM »

Really haven't heard anything good about the HD 6 speed its noisy, hard to find neutral, and not a smooth shifter.
Sounds like the problems are similar to the 5 speed with the neutral problem.  Do different lubricants make any difference with this 6 speed?
Mike

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:36:53 AM »

The guys have tried about everything out there and the only thing that they say seems to help is red line shock proof oil.  Alot of money to spend and not be happy,  they where wondering if later production solved any of there problems.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 08:45:48 AM »

The guys have tried about everything out there and the only thing that they say seems to help is red line shock proof oil.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 11:41:35 AM »

This has been discussed elsewhere on the site but for the context of this thread I'll throw this in.  Without regard to the gearing on these bikes making the need for a six speed questionable for most riders and riding styles that does not mean that some may not just want one.  If so, that's fine.  It's part of what we do with the bikes.

Having said that, however, if I wanted a six speed I personally wouldn't get the HD branded unit.  Have had the opportunity to do a few hundred miles on one and an hour or so on a different unit (two different bikes).  Both were noisey.  Both had a "feel" I didn't care for.  But the noise alone would be enough to keep me off of them were there another alternative.  Fortunately the Baker units are that alternative.  Have done about a hundred miles on a bike with a Baker (very recently) and it's quiet, smooth, the gearing changes make it a far more practical and effective solution, and the bike it was installed on started much easier than it did previously as a result of the gearing changes.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 01:51:44 PM »

Fellow Members--I had the HD 6-speed gear set installed in my Bagger in Feb. of 2004.  Put standard Harley gear oil in it and ran it 1500 miles, then changed to Synthetic.  Absolutely no noise, slips into neutral slick as a snot on a door knob, and shifts like a dream. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  But, then again, maybe I can't hear it over those RINEHARTS' bellerin'!  Now at 3000RPM I'm cruisin' at 80MPH as opposed to 70MPH with the 5-speed.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 02:01:03 PM »

I also went with the H-D gearset about 1500 miles ago in my FLHRSEI2, and I am extremely pleased with it.  I run synthetic, and don't know if that is a contributing factor, but it is quiet and shifts smooth.  I had heard about others with noise problems, but I just haven't  experienced it at all.  I have the 3.37 gearing, and at highway speeds that 6th gear is nice.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

eddieboy

• write on!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »

In response to my friend and colleague, Panhead Jimmy in SoCal,  - - godamnit - - it happened to me! My damn case. Is there no justice?!? Destination Silverdale , Wash dealership was pulling the bearing when the case cracked.

Factory demanded to see first j-pegged photos of the damage before they ascented to cover it, and now I have to wait weeks for the manufacturer to sent a new silver-powdercoat case replacement, and no expediting it I am told, as well. And I make part of my living on the bike. Oh, and , yes - - I am told I am supposedly to pay an extra $100 for something called 'good-will'???!  Hmm; we'll see about that [smiley=furious.gif]

And lastly - - I am directly informed this morning that a certain gentleman in Michigan after an install of same, was experiencing a 'mystery leak' from the tranny. Dye penetrator revealed a 'spider-web' network of cracks around the bearing housing. And no help for the dealership in question - - said gentleman has ordered a Baker to replace, and has ' a new paperweight' instead...

Am I excited as I await my install? - - I hope so. That Winter '05 Harley Catalog of parts sure had a pretty cover with the night sky twinkling and all. Can I twinkle soon too [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  
eddieboy

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »

Hey Tally - I'm also going with the HD 6-speed geearset and 3.37 gear ratio (24T compensator; 37T Clutch basket).  Do you recall if the primary chain need to be replaced with a longer or shorter one or does stock length work?  Thanks, PJ  p.s.  glad to hear the HD 6 speed is working for at least some people.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »

Hey Tally - I'm also going with the HD 6-speed geearset and 3.37 gear ratio (24T compensator; 37T Clutch basket).
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Hogzilla

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 07:39:09 PM »

I have to disagree.  I have the complete 6-spped on my new RK Custom (that way I had a whole 5-speed to sell on eBay) and it shifts silky smooth.  No clunk like with my 5-speed Heritage.  Easy to find neutral.  No complaints.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 08:48:43 PM »

I have to disagree.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.