Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Well, I got 'er done: Rineharts, SERT and dyno tune!  (Read 3663 times)

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
Well, I got 'er done: Rineharts, SERT and dyno tune!
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:41:27 PM »

In a previous post, I reported that I was getting my 08 SERK fitted wth Rinehart TDs, Screamin Eagle A/C (which DID require a different cover, BTW), SERT and dyno tuning. A drumroll please....

Hand me the envelope...

And the numbers are...

98.27 hp, 115 lb ft.

Not bad, huh???!!! And now with those Rineharts, its bark matches its bite. It sounds beautiful at idle, has a real presence during modest acceleration, sounds refined and subdued at cruising speed (I tried everything from 55 to 90 mph). And sounds like a HELLION when you get on it. And yeah, you can feel that extra power - it's making 100 lb ft at just 2000 rpm and rises from there. I'll scan the dyno print out tomorrow. Me so horny - me love this bike longtime!

By the way, the tuner told me it would probably be making 100 hp by the time it got another few thousand miles on it. If that's true, that's pretty amazing. The hundred horsepower club from pipes, A/C and dyno tune.

It runs better too. No pinging, better pickup from below two grand, and winds out without any hesitation. Don't get me wrong, within the confines of such a lean AFR that H-D engineers had to work with, they did a remarkable job. This is just a bit better.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:51:27 PM by Quint »
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Well, I got 'er done: Rineharts, SERT and dyno tune!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:30:31 PM »

Quint,

The numbers sound awesome.....congrats.

I am still trying to decide between a SERT and a PC.  I keep hearing pros & cons on both.  I will probably study it until spring, but your results have me thinking about the SERT again.

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:52:39 PM »

Quint,

The numbers sound awesome.....congrats.

I am still trying to decide between a SERT and a PC.  I keep hearing pros & cons on both.  I will probably study it until spring, but your results have me thinking about the SERT again.

LRebel

The difference for me is simply this: with the PC, you can buy one from Jamie at www.fuelmotousa.com with a canned map, get REAL close to a dyno tune performance, but for less than half the price. For me, they didn't have PCs for '08 SE models yet, and so I was left with no choice but the custom dyno tune.

The main difference with SERT is that it allows you to tune each cylinder independently - this means that the rear cyclinder, where you feel all the heat in summer, cam be richened up to keep it running cooler given that it's starved of cooling air by the front cylinder blocking the passage of air. If you want to to get every last hp out of our donk, I think SERT is the only way to go. Otherwise for about $1,200 you can buy Rinehart TDs, a PC, hi flow A/C, install it yourself, and save yourself $1,100. That's a very worthwhile saving - and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:14:27 AM »

LRebel

The difference for me is simply this: with the PC, you can buy one from Jamie at www.fuelmotousa.com with a canned map, get REAL close to a dyno tune performance, but for less than half the price. For me, they didn't have PCs for '08 SE models yet, and so I was left with no choice but the custom dyno tune.

The main difference with SERT is that it allows you to tune each cylinder independently - this means that the rear cyclinder, where you feel all the heat in summer, cam be richened up to keep it running cooler given that it's starved of cooling air by the front cylinder blocking the passage of air. If you want to to get every last hp out of our donk, I think SERT is the only way to go. Otherwise for about $1,200 you can buy Rinehart TDs, a PC, hi flow A/C, install it yourself, and save yourself $1,100. That's a very worthwhile saving - and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I have to correct you on this statement, The PCIII can tune each cylinder for both fuel and timing independently. The final numbers from a good tuner that is proficient in either product should be about if not the same results as well.

The best product will be based on what your tuner is proficient with. You are correct that as of this post the only tuner on the market for the 08's is the race tuner.

By the way, your numbers are great!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »

I thought the AC cover could be kept stock if the back plate was replaced to accommodate the higher flow filter as long as spacers were used.  I haven't done this yet but others have.  Anyone?  Anyone?   Bueller......  Bueller........
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31:48 AM »

In the middle of this A/C controversy now. It appears as though with use of an additional gasket that the oem cover can be used. Will know for sure this afternoon.

Howie

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

I just added a little more gasket material on the front of the air filter to get rid of the wobble from front to rear without the bolt and then tightened the bolt.  so far no problems after about 2K miles.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »

Absolutely, positively CAN use the original A/C cover...no if's, and's, or but's.  Put the gasket on the filter cover, or inside the oval cover to take up the slack (even that is not absolutely necessary), put a 1/4" spacer between the chrome cover and the filter top cover, and you're good to go.  Blue loctite the center bolt on the cover.

The HD dealer will tell you it won't work, and it's even written on the SE A/C box, but don't believe everything you're told or that you read. 

The stainless braided gas line is not supposed to work either, but there are quite a few of us who have them sitting on our bikes working fine.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »

:bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

I had Rhinehart Dual Install, Race Tuner and also high flow air filter.....

Haven't  Dyno it yet....waiting for 1000 miles marker.....

Run Great............... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Torque is incredible........ :coolblue: :coolblue:

Just keeping under 55 miles/hr for first 200 miles still......

The original screaming eagle air filter cover works fine with the new high flow air filter..........
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:52:11 AM »

I have to correct you on this statement, The PCIII can tune each cylinder for both fuel and timing independently. The final numbers from a good tuner that is proficient in either product should be about if not the same results as well.

The best product will be based on what your tuner is proficient with. You are correct that as of this post the only tuner on the market for the 08's is the race tuner.

By the way, your numbers are great!

Ok, I had a PC on my 02 Ultra along with the stage one kit and V&H TruDuals.  Had the bike dyno tuned and the bike ran awesome.
I guess my current question is:  with the closed loop system on the new bikes, is the SERT a better choice? :nixweiss:  And BTW, either way I wind up going I will get the dyno tune - money well spent, IMO.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 01:02:58 AM »

LRebel,

You have to go with a SERT no one else has a tuner for the 08's as of yet.   Last rumor was at least 6 months for Power Commander.  If you were making a choice TODAY you will either deal with the heat and make no changes to the bike, like SE A/C and pipes or you will buy the SERT find a competent tuner and make the changes to enjoy your ride and save your legs (thighs) from the heat.  Again that is if you were deciding today. 

The closed loop was defeated by the PC for the 07's, they did this by using eliminators to bypass them and not throw codes to your ECM.   The narrow bands though are limited to what fuel ratio they can deliver.   I personally went the way of tuning my bike after my latest mods and bypassing the closed loop system even for partial throttle by setting the tables to the fuel where I wanted it and not leaving the tables set to 14.6 and tuning via the closed loop bias table.  I think the real issue though with the Narrow bands comes down to tuners not being familiar enough with them and the closed loop bias tables to tune the bikes properly.    I have not seen the newest software for the 08's yet, but would imagine the same is still possible, but couldn't tell you for sure until I get a copy of the latest SERT software.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your bike,
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:13:01 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 12:18:30 AM »

LRebel,

You have to go with a SERT no one else has a tuner for the 08's as of yet.   Last rumor was at least 6 months for Power Commander.  If you were making a choice TODAY you will either deal with the heat and make no changes to the bike, like SE A/C and pipes or you will buy the SERT find a competent tuner and make the changes to enjoy your ride and save your legs (thighs) from the heat.  Again that is if you were deciding today. 

The closed loop was defeated by the PC for the 07's, they did this by using eliminators to bypass them and not throw codes to your ECM.   The narrow bands though are limited to what fuel ratio they can deliver.   I personally went the way of tuning my bike after my latest mods and bypassing the closed loop system even for partial throttle by setting the tables to the fuel where I wanted it and not leaving the tables set to 14.6 and tuning via the closed loop bias table.  I think the real issue though with the Narrow bands comes down to tuners not being familiar enough with them and the closed loop bias tables to tune the bikes properly.    I have not seen the newest software for the 08's yet, but would imagine the same is still possible, but couldn't tell you for sure until I get a copy of the latest SERT software.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your bike,

Unbalanced,

Thanks for the input.  I am now leaning toward the SERT.  I have read that the PC should be out in a month or so.  It will be interesting to see if Dyno Jet comes up with a mod to the PC to accommodate the closed loop system or if the continue with the bypass.

My bike runs great now.  I keep having people question this, but I have changed the exhaust and added the SE A/C -- the bike runs great.  No popping.  Runs smooth up and down the rpms - not too lean as you would expect with these mods alone (I guess the closed loop system was able to adjust).  And, I have no heat problems - my bike runs about 225 degrees when the outside temp is in the upper 90's (it ran about 190 degrees this morning when the outside temp was about 40 on a 110 mile ride).  Anyway, after the results I got on my 02 Ultra after a dyno tune, I know it will be $$$ well spent when I get it done.

I guess I am leaning back toward the SERT because I am figuring the it is designed to work with the closed loops system.

08serkrider

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
SERK A/C
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »

OK, I must be dense (or not up to date).  I was under the impression that the SERK ( I have an '08 SERK) came with a SE A/C.  According to this thread there's an upgrade? 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: SERK A/C
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »

OK, I must be dense (or not up to date).  I was under the impression that the SERK ( I have an '08 SERK) came with a SE A/C.  According to this thread there's an upgrade? 

Yes there is an upgrade.  Bike comes with a stock air cleaner.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: SERK A/C
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:06 PM »

The 07 SERK did in fact come with the SE backplate and air cleaner...the 08's do not, like iski said.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.