Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tour Pak Light Problem  (Read 3340 times)

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
Tour Pak Light Problem
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:28:19 PM »

Don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem, but here goes.  Several months ago we prepacked the tour pak bag and placed it in the tour pak the evening prior to a long road trip.  In the morning I needed to add to the bag.  When I lifted the tour pak lid smoke started coming from the bag.  Those tour paks really are airtight.  The mercury switch in the tour pak light was defective.  This meant the light was on when the tour pak lid was closed and the hot bulb was resting on the bag all night.  Sure glad I had secured the tour pak lid or we might have lost the bike, car, and house to fire.  Just a heads up to check your tour pak light and make sure it is out prior to closing the tour pak lid.  If this has been previously brought up, sorry for wasting your time.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Tour Pak Light Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:32:06 PM »

Don't know how these have gone so far afowl. Spect H.D.s finding a way to cheapen them up and hopefully will end up recalling them. Bunch of us had them on our previous rides and nobody ever had a problem. Previous lights had an in line fuse close to the light and this one doesn't. Wish I woulda kept the old one because it was a hell of a convience.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 10:35:22 PM »

Don't know how these have gone so far afowl. Spect H.D.s finding a way to cheapen them up and hopefully will end up recalling them. Bunch of us had them on our previous rides and nobody ever had a problem. Previous lights had an in line fuse close to the light and this one doesn't. Wish I woulda kept the old one because it was a hell of a convience.

Hey, I remember that light !  Don't know where it is anymore though.  Mine stayed on the first night the bike was home and didn't survive the evening.  Never wanted to have to give it a second thought  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »

Previous lights had an in line fuse close to the light and this one doesn't.

It's interesting you say that.  I had one like that that I installed on my '02 EG Classic.  Worked perfectly with none of the issues we hear about on the '05 SEEGs.  It was nice having that fuse exposed there to be able to pull it if you needed to have the lid open for any length of time.  Seems stupid to have changed the design, not that I can imagine what the presence of an in-line fuse would have to do with the light staying on when you don't want it to. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

M.White

• Junior CVO Member
  • aka:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 01:43:45 AM »

Been burnt by that lite too, (dead battery).

M White
05 FLHTCSE2
SE Stage 1 AC
Bassani Power Curves
Bassani Reverse Cone HO
PC III usb

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 04:01:25 PM »

I solved that problem on my bike by ripping that sucker out of there and buying one of those little LED lights that you can wear on your head. It uses a couple of little flat batteries. I disassembled it and took the part with the LEDs and velcroed it to the lid of the tour pak. It has a little switch on it for easily turning it on and off and can stay on for something like 20 continuous hours.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
MObe

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 04:39:49 PM »

Been burnt by that lite too, (dead battery).

M White

Yep, and the little minature mini-mags that I keep in the tour pack lid organizer continues to work just fine! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 05:43:04 PM »

More From Before

The final word was: the tour pak's light was coming on and off intermittently when the trunk was closed...they found it by accident because it wouldn't do it all the time....and that was enough to drain the battery over several days. Hopefully problem solved now. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

and more at http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1105468632

[smiley=laugh.gif]

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:31:04 AM »

I think most all of us with the 05 SEEG have had the same problem with the light staying on. If you shut the lid softly it WILL stay on. If you let it close a little harder it goes out. I don't think it is a mercury switch anymore. It sounds like it has some sort of little ball that rolls one way or the other to make or break the contact. In any case I went to the new tour pack light that they offer which is an LED and it has a touch switch to turn it on and even if you forget to turn it off it goes off in five minutes. Also if you get the complete kit it comes with two rubber bumpers to replace the existing ones on the bottom of the tour pack. These have LED lights built into them to light up the saddle bags. I am really pleased with the setup on mine.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 07:27:11 AM »

RRSteve,  Is this the one you got?  

Tour-Pak

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 03:07:45 AM »

RRSteve,

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 11:56:55 PM »

The tour pac has a 2 amp fuse in it's harness. Mine was rolled up just in front of the battery. Since reading the thread some time ago on this mercury switch acting up, I always am checking to see that the light goes out as I close the lid.
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 10:08:16 AM »

Yep, that's the one. When I asked for it at the dealer I was inquiring about the single light for the inside of the tourpack. He only had the 3 light kit in stock and as it turns out I really like the saddle bag lights. Glad I did all three.

RRSteve

I think the kit is the way to go...if you buy the lights separate, cost is more. Does it happen to have the same plug as the old light?

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »

I think the kit is the way to go...if you buy the lights separate, cost is more. Does it happen to have the same plug as the old light?

No, unfortunately not. It has a harness that goes to the battery and a connector that does disconnect just outside the tour pack. I just changed the connector on the original feed wire to match up with the new lights. In most cases it would have been easier to change the tour pack light connector to match the old feed but I have both the chopped and king tour pack so it was easier to change the feed connector. One connector to change instead of two that way since I have the new light in both packs.

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 10:43:38 AM »

I ran all five wires into one connector that is a simple quick attach.
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.