Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performance upgrades..."Is it Safe"  (Read 1730 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Performance upgrades..."Is it Safe"
« on: April 07, 2005, 06:01:58 AM »

........."Is it Safe".
Okay, who remembers what movie that line is from?

Now my question. I am picking up my pipes (V&H ovals) and the balance of my air cleaner parts (SE parts) tomorrow and was wondering "is it safe" to drive the 10 miles or so to the dealer for the download. The trip is about a 25% city and 75% highway ride. Although I could change it to all stop & go traffic.
The guy behind the service desk said it would be ok, but I would like a few other "expierenced opinions".
Thanks in advance.
Duane
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

lvnlg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Performance upgrades..."Is it Safe"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »

My dealer told me the same thing. But they will install everything plus dyno for $200 bucks. So I'm going to hand them the S.E. mufflers,  air cleaner, and tuner and let them have at it. I thought I would save $$ by installing myself, but for 2 bills, they can have at it!

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 07:59:42 AM »

If you're just adding the pipes and the air breather, then I wouldn't worry at all.  The bike still runs lean and you haven't done anything to correct that until the download.  Which, for the money the dealers get for a down load (usually $150), I'd recommend adding a powercommander for a few more bucks and then downloading one of the many maps they have on the database.  You're likely to get a much better AND tuneable setup.  

I have a stage II with V&H, SE breather, etcs, on my '03 Ultra.  Carb farts all the time and back fire like hell when took an exit ramp off the highway.  Put on a powercommander III USB, and bingo - runs like a top.  Only downside is a PC III is about $329 vs $150 for the one shot dealer download.  But I bet you'd be more satisfied with the PC III.  And if you're doing the pipes and breather yourself, you're probably capable of doing the PCIII yourself also.

Just my .02

JRW
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:02:51 AM »

........."Is it Safe".
Okay, who remembers what movie that line is from?

Marathon Man.  Max Von Sydow to Dustin Hoffman.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:39:46 AM »

Porthole your lean run is probably going to be at the lower RPMs so the initial route you've laid out will probably be o.k.   Personally, I'd be more concerned with "who" is going to do the dyno tune.  Are they experienced with "performance" mods?  I mean truely experienced as in works with performance on a daily basis.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »

Unless you are planning on doing 120mph all the way there you're good.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »

Unless you are planning on doing 120mph all the way there you're good.

Uh oh.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 12:56:23 PM »

Yup, Marathon Man.

My dealer does not have a dyno, they were just going to do the HD download.

I have also emailed V&H with questions about their fuel management system, still waiting for an answer on that.

There are now too many choices for the fuel stuff
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 01:01:52 PM »

Yup, Marathon Man.

My dealer does not have a dyno, they were just going to do the HD download.

I have also emailed V&H with questions about their fuel management system, still waiting for an answer on that.

There are now too many choices for the fuel stuff

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 07:31:24 AM »

modifications - most exhaust sytem change over from stock configuration will cause check engine light to come on with "no compression front cylinder" - HUH - with pipes/high flow/re-map will normally not do it and a dealership that does not advise you that a DFO - TFI any other tuning proceedure most likely will need to be done to FINE TUNE the remainder of the process. some exhaust systems just plain suck - race tuner has changed alot within the last 8 months and HD worked hard to get this problem corrected - all caused by non-stock pipe conversions - hunt around and find someone that really knows their proceedures and get references from others that have had the identical work performed
apples to apples comparison
2004 ultra - mine was totally stock - another customer had identical bike color and all - changed to a full exhaust-remap-highflow-he was in almost weekly bitching about performance - I finally took his bike for a day - you could feel the horsepower go out the exhaust - he paid for dyno and my stock bike had more hp than his modified bike - when he went back to stock configurations he could not believe the difference - he had modified this bike a week after ownership.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.