Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screaming Eagle Street Legal Heavy Breather!!  (Read 3504 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Screaming Eagle Street Legal Heavy Breather!!
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »

Can someone please elaborate on the pros and cons of utilizing this breather?  I just took delivery of my Rocker C and would really like to include this in my mods.  I know they can be a PITA when it rains, but does anyone have any experience with these, vs. say what we may add, i.e. K & N, etc.

TIA...
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
Re: Screaming Eagle Street Legal Heavy Breather!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »

My two cents.  I have one on my FXDL.

Pro's
-Looks nice.
-Functions well.  I do not know if it really added any HP to the bike.  Never dynoed it.

Con's
-Bike does not like to cold weather.  in the 30's after running down the highway them getting off the carb freezes up or does not atomize correctly.  That's not jsut this air filter though.  Any open air filter causes this.
-Make sure you have the filter on tight.  the mounting of the filter is a bit hokey and has a tendancey of wanting to slip off if you do not clean the oil off the rubber where it mounts.
-The filter is delicate.  Just look at it wrong and it will twist or bend.

All in all though I'll  keep it since I bought it.  Harley sells a cover (19.99) for it that you can run in the rain.  It is not really neccesary though.  I have ran open filters on all my bikes and never had rain cause problems.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »

Zombie,

Thanks for the post.  I'm not sure if I'm going that direction or not.  May be a little to much for me, but I appreciate your feedback.

John
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »

Can someone please elaborate on the pros and cons of utilizing this breather?  I just took delivery of my Rocker C and would really like to include this in my mods.  I know they can be a PITA when it rains, but does anyone have any experience with these, vs. say what we may add, i.e. K & N, etc.

TIA...
What is your opinion of the new rocker c

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »

That heavy breather is expensive.  An alternative would be to buy a Screamin' Eagle hi flow kit and then a center cap for about 35 bucks.  You would then have an open air cleaner setup at less than half the price of the heavy breather.  See the picture I attached.  BTW: this is the old Screamin' Eagle kit.  They have a newer one with a better backplate.

There is an article in this forum "link below" about buying the piece parts with a chrome backplate for cheaper than the MoCo kit.  The only trick is getting an Arlen Ness ait cleaner filament.  Also, according to this thread there might be some '08 fitment issues.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19016.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

I just installed the Heavy Breather during the winter layup, so I haven't tried it yet - BUT, the kit did include the Rain Sock!  I hope it does help as even with my SE open filter, rain presented a big problem. I agree the hose clamp attachment is a little hooky, and it would have helped if the tube was knurled in that region.  It does however look cool. I did notice that it forces my knee out a bit, so I'm wondering to what degree that'll effect the comfort.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

Anyone know of any floorboards that would work on a 08 FXDL...I can't find anything that will work with the gear setup. Thanks. Dean

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.