Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Axtell Cylinders clearance issues--cylinder base cover/pushrod tubes  (Read 9043 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: Axtell cylinder and 32753-01 cylinder base cover--a small ooops
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »

DESERTBEAR54

Like Scott said, the MoCo will replace their defective cylinder with a cylinder made exactly the same way as all their 110 cylinders. They have acknowledge they are have a higher than usual failure rate with these cylinders. However, their solution is to keep replacing cylinders until you get one that does not fail. Similair to the definition for insanity.

Some of us have opted to replace the Harley cylinder with Axtell's. Axtell had some failures, isolated the problem and fixed it. I talked with Chaz at Axtell. He went through quite an explaination of their process for locking in the liner. I went this route after my HD guys talked with the MoCo. They feel using a replacement Harley cylinder is a waste of time as it may fail at the most inopportune time. They cut me a deal on the Axtell stuff.

It's up to each on what they wish to do to fix their scooter.

JW

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »

Your Axtels look better then the cover. Keep it naked, it's sexy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »

It's tempting.  Hard to remove already purchased chrome.  But the cover has already been on and off twice while I try to figure out which way I like it best....  ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hey Don,  :P :P :P :D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

nothing better than naked jugs

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »

Hard to remove already purchased chrome.  But the cover has already been on and off twice while I try to figure out which way I like it best....  ;D

From your pictures, it looks better with the chrome cover.  You can still see the Axtell cylinder base and the top row of diamond cuts above the cover.  Blends well with the chrome inner primary.   (Even with the cover, you know the jugs aren't stock).   Jug augmentation.    :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:18:20 PM by Boatman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Axtell Cylinders clearance issues--cylinder base cover/pushrod tubes
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 03:21:01 AM »

Just finished messing with the bike for another two and a half hours or so this evening.  Had another clearance issue with the Axtell jugs.  The thicker than normal billet pushrod tubes that Harley offers.

I've had them on the bike for quite some time.  Really like the look.  But they are a fair bit thicker than the common thin steel tubes.  The tube closest to the cylinder just barely touched the rear cylinder.  It all still assembled though. Did so without forcing anything so I didn't do anything to clearance it more.

The front cylinder, however, apparently was left with a bit more meat than the rear.  No way that tube would install.  The options were some plain and ugly push rod tube (nope) or clearancing the pushrod tube a bit.  I suppose working on the face of the cylinder is an option too.  But not really....

The pushrod tube was the easy choice.  It's a thick billet piece and it didn't need much.  One side has the decorative ball mills while the "back" side is just round.  Only need to grind down a flat spot.  With this it all assembled just fine.

Just something else to keep in mind for anyone considering Axtell jugs in the future.  You might or might not have a small issue here depending on what you use for pushrod tubes and how Axtell finishes dressing the jugs.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 03:21:59 AM »

Assembled that flat spot is hidden directly against the cylinder.  Completely impossible to see.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 03:34:16 AM »

Just a thought on these clearance issues.  Please don't think I'm blaming or bitching about Axtell here.  This is just FYI in case someone has or considers this combination of parts in the future. 

Parts from multiple sources brought together, especially with accessory additions made on top of stock, sometimes just have to be made to work together.  In fact sometimes they just don't work together. 

Bringing together pieces other than stock makes it incumbent on the installer to make it work or not.  Just no way that any one manufacturer can test or account for all the possible variations that the rest of the industry might provide.  Just need to be willing to mess with issues like these going in.  Otherwise it's a) don't work on it; or b) keep everything stock.

So I'm not ragging on Axtell here.  Just pointing out an issue to be dealt with.

Using the TP rocker boxes is another part of the mix.  Since the rocker arms go on with the boxes with them even "easy install" pushrods might not be.  I was able to get pushrods in both holes on the rear cylinder.  But on the front had to remove the lifter block to get the first pushrod in.  Just part of the mix...

The rocker boxes were an install all their own too for that matter.  Rear rockers boxes are all too often a pain in the ass anyway.  Quite frankly this TP box may have been even a little easier than the stock one.  But it was different.  So all the old cut off allen tools or other "special" wrenches that had been butchered for a specific purpose or bolt before didn't work here.  So it took a long time tonight just to put on this rocker box the first time.  With the new tools in hand any next time will go much quicker.  But patience was the order of the day the first time. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »

Looks like you are making some great progress Don.  I encountered the same issues when installing the TP boxes.  Not necessarily more difficult, but did require making a few different special tools vs. the stock boxes.  Same with the lifter blocks.  I didn't realize I could not get the pushrods installed without removing the lifter boxes.  Now that I know, I would alter the assembly sequence next time. (hoping next time will be a different motor on a different bike!!)

Encountering these things and deriving solutions is part of the enjoyment of buliding the motor - or tinkering in general - for me.  Adds to the satisfaction when successfully completed... ;)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »

Looks like you are making some great progress Don.  I encountered the same issues when installing the TP boxes.  Not necessarily more difficult, but did require making a few different special tools vs. the stock boxes.  Same with the lifter blocks.  I didn't realize I could not get the pushrods installed without removing the lifter boxes.  Now that I know, I would alter the assembly sequence next time. (hoping next time will be a different motor on a different bike!!)

Encountering these things and deriving solutions is part of the enjoyment of buliding the motor - or tinkering in general - for me.  Adds to the satisfaction when successfully completed... ;)

The pushrods were a bit of a surprise here Scott.  I knew the original ProTaper pushrods would not go in.  The ones the chromemoly termites ate.  But they were never designed to be quick install.  They'd not go in with standard rockers without taking the top off.

When I picked up these HD adjustables I expected they'd sneak in.  Happened to do the rear cylinder first and they did go in that one.  So I thought, "success."  Then the front one would just barely not make it.

If that push rod tube had more clearance to allow more wiggle room it might have.  I could get the pushrod by itself in.  Just not in combination with the tube.  So the lifter block came loose.

Like you I don't mind the little irregularities and pecularities of bringing various parts together.   Stuff like butchering allen tools and making assembly options takes awhile; especially the first time.  But when it looks right and is right when it's done it is a victory of sorts when completed.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »

The lifter covers look easy to take off but the inside screws next to the cylinder fins are a burger.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »

The lifter covers look easy to take off but the inside screws next to the cylinder fins are a burger.

Not when the pipes are already off :huepfenlol2: .

It's true the inside screws can't be got with a socket and ratchet.   But readily accessible with an allen wrench.  So not terrible. 

I was surprised that with these Axtell jugs the front screw closest to the cylinder wouldn't come out.  When fully loosened it raised up under a cylinder fin and would not clear the lifter block.  Still plenty of room to take the block in and out so no real extra hassle.  Just another of those subtle differences with the beefier jug.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 01:34:46 AM »

Did you "clearence" the tube enough for expansion  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 01:42:54 AM »

Did you "clearence" the tube enough for expansion  :nixweiss:

Duane, the one I worked on yes.  The inner one on the rear cylinder went together without work.  But it does just barely touch.  I've almost convinced myself to take it back apart and remove a bit of material there as well.  But haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 22 queries.