Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice  (Read 13749 times)

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »

So I have been doing a lot of reading on this site sense I am next on a list for a 09 SERG. I have been reading about all the problems that people are having with theirs and I'm wondering if I making the right decision. I read about paint chipping off, overheating and oil leaks. I read about people worried about taking their bikes on long trips as they feel the bike might break down on them etc… With all that being said, why do I want to spend 30k on a bike that has all these problems? 
Also, I read that if you remove the cc (what's a cc anyway) :confused5: it will help with the engine heat issue. I'm new to this site and you guys have a lot more experience at this than I do.  Any input would be appreciated... :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »

So I have been doing a lot of reading on this site sense I am next on a list for a 09 SERG. I have been reading about all the problems that people are having with theirs and I'm wondering if I making the right decision. I read about paint chipping off, overheating and oil leaks. I read about people worried about taking their bikes on long trips as they feel the bike might break down on them etc… With all that being said, why do I want to spend 30k on a bike that has all these problems? 
Also, I read that if you remove the cc (what's a cc anyway) :confused5: it will help with the engine heat issue. I'm new to this site and you guys have a lot more experience at this than I do.  Any input would be appreciated... :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

You have to remember reading every post on a particular issue is like watching a 24 hour news channel on television for 24 hours.  When you have watched the same "news alerts" for 24 hours, things seem worse then they are.  Some have experienced all of what your wrote.  But the vast majority would tell you they absolutely love their rides!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »

cc:  catalytic converter

The problems you have read about are just Harley stuff.  It's always been the same... every version of these bikes have had their unique problems.  Some have had less problems than others, but they have all had their problems.  It's just part of owning a Harley (BTW, most other brands of bikes have their unique problems also - maybe not as many as Harley, but they have problems too)

Buy the bike you -- will most likely love it.  Advise:  Spend the $$$ for the extended warranty  ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:01:56 PM by LRebel »

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »

Nothing like a Harley (the sound,the respect, the feel and the headaches), but if you do not have the stomach to tinker or make improvements to a less than perfect bike, do yourself a favor and buy a Wing.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »

A wing, now thats crazy talk... ;D

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:22:06 PM »

My affair with H-D has been a love - hate relationship.  Just don't try to take it away from me.
Jesus is Lord

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »

You may or may not have issues. What new vehicle doesn't? It's real easy to get caught up in the negs. Be sure to read the threads where we just dig the hell out of our bikes and ride lots of miles worry free. And if something does come up we generally find a way to deal w/ it. The SERG is new this year so there's no long term report yet but lots of us are betting it will be a heck of a lot more grins than frowns.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 01:00:56 AM »

serghaven, I wouldn't back away if I were you.  In fact, I'm not.  Should you decide to pass on your bike, I'll take it (providing you're in California).

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:20:56 AM »

I can raise my hand and honestly say this is the only vehicle of all of them I've owned, ten or so cars and six bikes, that has had "issues".  This is also the only one I've had regrets over buying.  I got mine before it was common knowlege that they have an engineering and testing shortfall; that can't be said now.  They've changed some of the minor bits, but the cheap-ass parts basic problems remain.  It's just not cheap to fix them (which is why HD isn't). 

Your money, but caveat emptor fits.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 07:30:57 AM »

serg;

You may not have any major issues with your bike at all. Definitely get the extended warranty, IF you do not intend to do major modifications. Changing out exhaust, proper A/F ratio, air cleaner do not count as major mods, and most dealers will not frown on honoring the warranty. Once you start replacing cams, pistons, etc. is when it gets "really iffy"...

the long and short of it is, you may have some problems but you will definitely LOVE the bike.

Here's to many smiling, problem free miles!  :drink:

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »

A bike is an individual as well as a personal decision & there are a huge number of factors involved.  Riding styles, usability, rideability, etc., etc., etc.   All vehicles - especially motorcycles - have unique problem sets. Other bike manufacturers have problems as well.  Harley is the focus here & this is a VERY demanding board as to expectations & in some areas, HD does very well.  In others, not so well.  We love these CVOs but we see their flaws as well as the areas they shine. 

Not sure about your riding history or bike ownership history - appears you are fairly familiar with Harleys.  Best advice I can give is - if you like the bike, buy the bike.  Life is too short to waste too much time when there are roads to ride & stuff to do & see. 

And welcome to the board. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »

serghaven

I have owned a 07 110, and now I have a 09. Having said that, I believe the 09 is a much better bike, HD has made impovments. I like the way the 09 handles and performs. IMHO you will like the serg.
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:27 AM »

serghaven ...... I think the majority of the folks on here would tell you to go ahead with your purchase.  After snooping around here a bit, you'll find that there are some who can find fault with anything HD ie motorcycles, dealers, customer service, parts or even corporate attitude.  Pay particular attention to whether it is a stock bike problem or a backyard modification that is the real cause of the complaint.
From time to time there are problems, as there is with any manufactured product, but if you want a motorcycle, enjoy riding and an association with some of the best folks around, an HD bike and this site are hard to beat.  Actually, if any portion of your decision involves maintaining the highest residual value for your dollar invested there is no other real choice in a motorcycle.  It's always a good idea to scan the NADA retained value in direct comparison to the Jap wannabe's and cheap imitations to make yourself feel a whole lot better about the money you are about to spend.  Good luck and looking forward to your impressions.....

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input. I do not plan on making any major upgrades to it. Just the l replacing the seat, passenger foot boards and different windshield. Is it recommended that I replace the air cleaner and exhaust to help keep the heat down? That would be the only mechanical changes I think I would make. Don’t need to go any faster than it already goes. However, I’m willing to make changes to enjoy the bike a little more.  

You guy’s ROCK…

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

You'll do just fine w/ those mods / changes. Only other suggestion is a race tuner and a good dyno tune.

BTW, you'll end up doing more just to "make it yours."  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.