Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: What's your opnion and why?  (Read 6846 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
What's your opnion and why?
« on: August 31, 2005, 05:58:48 PM »

I'm wanting to go to gear drive cams for reliability reasons.  However, I'd also like to capture a little more performance.  I do not want to do any headwork......I want to leave my motor as stock as possible with the exception of the air cleaner, Race Tuner, exhaust and cams.

What cams do you think I should go with and why?  I'd like to get as broad a spectrum of answers here, as possible because I think this issue is around the corner for most here that still have the chain drive cams.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: What's your opnion and why?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 06:21:48 PM »

This is a great question, and one that has been asked before on other sites. It also interests me cause I have one on order.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:32:33 PM by twolanerider »
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:46:56 PM »

JC;
Check out this thread:
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1125534944

I decided for this bike to go with the Andrews 26 G cam set. I can't tell you technically why only that it is on the recommendation of a couple of good wrenches whose opinion I really trust.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:31:52 AM »

JC - Why are you not considering head work?  The reason I ask is because was talking with service manager at local dealer quizing him on the new 113kit for the SEEG, he felt they could squeez a lot more power out of the 103 then I currently have (100HP) up to 120 to 125 HP.  When asking him what he reccomended it was reworking the heads & cams.  Would very much appreciate your comments on this.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »

120 to 125 hp could only be accomplished with a siginificant increase in compression. Then you have to live with that.  Hard starts, starter problems, need for high octane, comp releases, etc. As long as you're happy with the problems that hi comp motors have, it's OK. ME, I'm trying to go the other way. Instead of a 103 motor with 120 hp, I'd rather have a 120 motor with 110 hp.  Right now I have 106  10.2:1 motor which is not bad, but on trips in hot climates, many times I have thought it would be better to have something a little easier to live with.  Maybe I'm just getting old.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 08:11:30 AM »

HD,  I agree if everything is set up right, the problems won't be so bad. But, higher comp motors aren't always set up right, and are harder to tune and keep tuned. My experience comes from TX, where it's hot, and heat and hi-comp can be difficult. Also, I can start my bike anytime, anywhere, but if someone else tried, they might have problems. Heck, Underground stuff is super hi comp, and like cranking comps of 220 or 230.  That won't work down here.

Later, Robert   [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:40 AM »

JC - Why are you not considering head work?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »

JC- I have the 37g cams in my other bike and it runs nice. not to much cam just right. the easiest way is to decide what manufactuer you will use ( i suggest andrews) and get the specs on their cams. their are only a couple of grinds that make sense and it gets confusing with all the different cams and numbers. ill be switching cams to gear drive soon also. ive got the tools so maybe we get together and do it some weekend.-VAN G

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 12:46:21 PM »

I'm wanting to go to gear drive cams for reliability reasons.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 08:43:39 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, JCZ'

« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:53:25 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 09:58:17 PM »

This has turned out to be a very good thread. You almost have to deck the heads of the factory 103 to get any kind of performance out of these motors. A compression ratio of 10.0 to 1 is what you want to look for in a fuelie. The higher cylinder pressures will cause you to have to throw more fuel to the motor and with the harley fuel injection it just won't give you the performance or the numbers that you would be looking for and the motor will run much hotter. The best bet on a stock 103 would be to pull the heads and have them decked, have the spring height set for 650 lift and do a performance valve job with light weight performance valves. This can be done at a very resonable cost. Now you are set up for a high lift cam with a lower duration that will give you some stump pulling torque numbers. You will also have a larger variety of cams to choose from. While you are changing the cams put in a aftermarket high volume oil pump and a set of performance lifters with new adjustable push rods. Then it will be off to the DYNO

Now you will have some very reliable horse power with out the cost of a major rebuild, the motor will still retain its stock look and you will still have the power to pass good ole HUBBARD driving down the interstate in his mini van!!!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »

DC is correct and I do not want to take anything away from this outlook on building a GREAT powerplant - may I have his permission to add 1 small step if you please !

the combustion chamber - whoever is doing this work - have them look at the combustion chamber - on full 103 pro heads make sure this area is all dimensional - meaning all the area is the identical depth - (has nothing to do with squash) not all heads are the same and all dies run many an incorrect head dimension - the (explosion) area needs attention if purchasing over the counter so to speak - many a horse power lost in this area if your spending the extra dollar to seek out sreaming neck braking horse power
then go for the squash (don;t forget to index those plugs)
DC is a fine person to listen to so do not very on advise - ask 50 technicians and you will get 50 different answers - so listen to a pro
there endeth this lesson

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 10:24:44 PM »

This has turned out to be a very good thread. You almost have to deck the heads of the factory 103  

Dawg, yours and Shovel's post are great but beg the next question.  Not everyone has a known good local machinist or has experience working with one.  So who are good machinists to send pieces to who will (just as importantly) follow the instructions they're given?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »

I'm wanting to go to gear drive cams for reliability reasons.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 07:08:30 AM »

This has been an interesting thread. I guess we all want to improve our bikes, but with as little disruption as possible. If you look at the original post, and try to figure out a cam swap only, our options are limited to those baby, bolt in cams that will work at a compression ratio of 9.0:1.  Andrews 21, 26, S&S 510 or something close should achieve the stated goals of changing to gear drive, and would improve performance in that it would move the torque curve down and come on a little faster, which would help in the mountains and in passing situations.  Seems that cam opinions are like you know what, cause everybody has them.  LOL Considering that I never ridden one of the CVO 103's, I'm talking out of my rear end also, but I've read many posts concerning them on other sites and the most often complaint is the soft bottom end, or people compare them to other motors that were built with more performance in mind and without the EPA looking over their shoulder.   [smiley=laugh.gif]

I've seen posts where 26,s and the 510 were installed, are there dyno's available for them?

Later, Robert
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.