Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Manual Vs Automatic Compression Releases on CVO110"  (Read 8380 times)

colcop

• Full CVO Member
Manual Vs Automatic Compression Releases on CVO110"
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:55 AM »

Hi All,
I have now had my engine rebuilt, but it has been suggested that I go to Stage 4 or Stage 5 Heads,
but with manual compression releases.  The engine is fitted with SE 10.5 pistons.

I asked why could I not keep the ACRs (Just fitted under recall), and was informed that they would not
suit the flowed and ported heads and that they would also fail.

Previous post have indicated that the ACRs are controll by the ECU.  Any downside to fitting maual releases
other than the inconvenience of having to push the buttons?  Will removal of the ACRs interfere with the ECU.

Many thanks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Manual Vs Automatic Compression Releases on CVO110"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »

Hi All,
I have now had my engine rebuilt, but it has been suggested that I go to Stage 4 or Stage 5 Heads,
but with manual compression releases.  The engine is fitted with SE 10.5 pistons.

I asked why could I not keep the ACRs (Just fitted under recall), and was informed that they would not
suit the flowed and ported heads and that they would also fail.

Previous post have indicated that the ACRs are controll by the ECU.  Any downside to fitting maual releases
other than the inconvenience of having to push the buttons?  Will removal of the ACRs interfere with the ECU.

Many thanks

The downside is they'll never short out anymore and you'll never spit on out of the heads!!! Oops, that's the UPSIDE! THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE whatsoever! Your bike just became more reliable!!! ;)
Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »

IMHO, simpler is always better.  Manual is simpler and more reliable than the "automatics", and it's no problem with a SERT/SEST to turn off the system in the ECM.  The only problem I see is remembering to push the buttons before you crank it up, and possibly burning your finger if you do it on a hot engine without gloves.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »

IMHO, simpler is always better.  Manual is simpler and more reliable than the "automatics", and it's no problem with a SERT/SEST to turn off the system in the ECM.  The only problem I see is remembering to push the buttons before you crank it up, and possibly burning your finger if you do it on a hot engine without gloves.

Jerry

Jerry

Some most of the newer buttons have covers to keep from burning your fingers.
On the ones that don't I learned to "stab" them instead of pushing them!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »

What they said above is spot on.  To bad the Harley's CR's aren't as reliable as the S&S ...  :nixweiss:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »

Hey all,
Many thanks for your advice - it has beem well appreciated and acted upon.
I am now going to have Stage 5 heads from Randy (King of Cubes) with manual compression releases - and a plastic button
to prevent finger burn!!  ;D
For Jerry and Hoist, I took your previous advice and had a Timken conversion and my crank plugged and welded..(again by Randy).
Outside of that Randy has recommended R&R gear drive cams and billet plate. I will also be having an HPInc Throttlebody...........

Next is a Bagger Brace that will suit a centre stand........................Oh and a stretch of road with at least 100 metres that is traffic free...........

Seriously though...............Many thanks guys.
 :znotworthy: :tekst-toppie:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

Hey all,
Many thanks for your advice - it has beem well appreciated and acted upon.
I am now going to have Stage 5 heads from Randy (King of Cubes) with manual compression releases - and a plastic button
to prevent finger burn!!  ;D
For Jerry and Hoist, I took your previous advice and had a Timken conversion and my crank plugged and welded..(again by Randy).
Outside of that Randy has recommended R&R gear drive cams and billet plate. I will also be having an HPInc Throttlebody...........

Next is a Bagger Brace that will suit a centre stand........................Oh and a stretch of road with at least 100 metres that is traffic free...........

Seriously though...............Many thanks guys.
 :znotworthy: :tekst-toppie:

Good stuff colcop! Looking forward to hearing how your build turns out. R&R has very aggressive cams. The valve train takes a pounding with their bigger ones. If this bike's primarily for touring, you might want to discuss this further with your builder. Good luck and get us some pics too!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »

Hi Hoist,

He is looking at either the 525 or the 615 cam.........
I asked about tractability and Randy said they would
have good torque throughout the rev range......

As I am new to this, I am going by his advice.

Cheers

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »

Hi Hoist,

He is looking at either the 525 or the 615 cam.........
I asked about tractability and Randy said they would
have good torque throughout the rev range......

As I am new to this, I am going by his advice.

Cheers

That's all ya can do if you don't do this stuff all on your own. As long as ya got a good engine guy, go with his advice and let him build it. He'll stand behind it if he's a stand up guy! I understand everything that's been going on with my motors, but I leave it in someone else's hands. We discuss what we're gonna do, but I usually defer to his advice. That's why Vern builds all my motors. And we do have occasional problems. But he takes care of me. That's why Cybil's finally gonna be a Vern Motor! ;)

Good luck with your build man and have fun with it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Colcop,
Make me understand something...........Why won't the ACRs work with any stage head?
Actually,I find the new design to be pretty good.Does the person that told you they wouldn't work feel they'll be a plunger to piston problem?The ACRs can be shimmed.
Harry,
You would like to have the money S&S has paid me to replace their auto-releases under warranty !!!!!!!!!!!Also,I've changed out several sets of S&S heads because the releases were blown out,taking the threads with them(Terrible thread design).
John  :soapbox:

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »

The only problem I see is remembering to push the buttons before you crank it up, and possibly burning your finger if you do it on a hot engine without gloves.

My '05 FLTR had a high-compression aftermarket build with manual CRs. It definitely took some getting used to that business of pushing the buttons before cranking. If you forget often enough, you'll burn up a starter. After a while, though, it got to be part of my routine for starting the bike and was no problem.

Burning the fingers was another issue entirely. In the winter, no problem. However, in warm weather, I tend to ride with fingerless gloves. My CRs had some type of a plastic coating on the buttons. As long as I hit the button, I was fine. If I missed the CR and touched the hot head, however... well, let's just say, "Ouch!" Taught me to pay close attention to arming my CRs.

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »

Hi,
An explanation as to why they should be changed was not really given.
He advised that he has had issues with them before and recommended the switch to
manual releases.  As I am rather a cautious and technically challenged individual
I am taking his advice.  I will still keep the original ACRs, along with the heads and crank......
Cheers......

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »

Colcop,
Make me understand something...........Why won't the ACRs work with any stage head?
Actually,I find the new design to be pretty good.Does the person that told you they wouldn't work feel they'll be a plunger to piston problem?The ACRs can be shimmed.
Harry,
You would like to have the money S&S has paid me to replace their auto-releases under warranty !!!!!!!!!!!Also,I've changed out several sets of S&S heads because the releases were blown out,taking the threads with them(Terrible thread design).
John  :soapbox:

John,

5 years with S&S motor and never an issue for me with ACR's  maybe i should count my blessings based on what you are saying hehe /knock on wood. 

Harley Motor
3 sets of 110 heads  stock acr issues x 3 , worked heads acr issues x 2, and recall never given a chance sold bike.   I went through 5 acr's in that time and it made no difference whether the head was stock or worked, much like what Howie went through.   I had them break, wires burn, threads pull out 2x .   Thus far while the S&S may not be perfect, in my use they have been a whole lot better.

Worst thing ever happened with a manual release was I lost the cap off one and had to replace it. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:41:07 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »

Harry,
Interesting,I haven't had problem 1 with the MoCo ACRs.I will say that they don't use much torque,when installed at the factory.Maybe the issues have to do with them loosening.IMO,their new tool may flex if trying to tighten them.I made a tool that will handle that problem.
Remember,that manual releases are a couple turn over of the engine at best,unless someone is holding them open.
John  :-\

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »

John,

Nice looking socket there John may have to invest in one of those to have on the shelf incase. 

Shouldnt they start in the first few turn overs anyway ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.