Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine break-in proceedure  (Read 1527 times)

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
engine break-in proceedure
« on: March 08, 2004, 03:48:28 PM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 04:13:52 PM by cabo »
stock for now

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: engine break-in proceedure
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 04:14:51 PM »

i took the smiley out of your link..hope this is what you were pointing to.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 09:17:05 AM »

I have ALWAYS been a firm believer in that you should break them in hard. I have run hard, right out of the showroom every car, truck and motorcycle I have had and all of them ran exceptionally well and I have never had an engine problem with a single one. Call it luck if you dont believe this works, but I have had 7 cars, 5 pick ups, 2 sport utes, and 4 motorcycles that have all run like champ and that never had any engine problems. And many of these got high miles on them and still ran great.
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 10:15:56 AM »

According to that article the breakin is done with non synthetic oil. I tend to agree with everything there but am a little puzzled as to what to do with a bike that comes shipped with SYN3. Take it from the dealer, pull off the road, switch to non-synthetic and go. Or ride it home (60 miles), drop the engine oil, put in the amsoil synthetis I intend to run and operate similiar to the article only staying with synthetic.

Anyone else pondering a similiar issue?? [smiley=confused5.gif]

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 10:26:07 AM »

MY thoughts--  You spend anywhere from lets say 10k to 30k on a bike.  I'm going to break in mine the old school way.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
'03 FLHRSEI2

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »

Where I am from the old school way is "break it in the way you want it to run"  [smiley=smash.gif]Another great subject to debate  [smiley=gossip.gif]
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 04:36:38 PM »

According to that article the breakin is done with non synthetic oil. I tend to agree with everything there but am a little puzzled as to what to do with a bike that comes shipped with SYN3. Take it from the dealer, pull off the road, switch to non-synthetic and go. Or ride it home (60 miles), drop the engine oil, put in the amsoil synthetis I intend to run and operate similiar to the article only staying with synthetic.

Anyone else pondering a similiar issue?? [smiley=confused5.gif]

That use to be the rule of thumb ten years or more ago.  That was so that the petroleum based oil would actually seep into the gaskets and swell them, to facilitate a tighter seal.  Now days, these motors are machined to such close tolerances that you can break them in with synthetic oil and they don't leak.  That's why they've started shipping the SE's with Syn3.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »

Ole Joe Minton says: "point her towards the door and let 'er rip" .....to paraphrase.   [smiley=laugh.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »

Ole Joe Minton says: "point her towards the door and let 'er rip" .....to paraphrase.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 09:56:27 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, I ran 'em wide open, too, until I got a BIG MOTOR.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 11:30:36 PM »

I brokr my 03 Ultra in Easy..just like the manual said...ran great, no probs. I broke my SEEG in klinda hard....not all out high rpm runs...it runs great too. I would like to see results after several thousand miles... a tear down of 2 engines...same oil etc. just different break in procedures...

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 05:05:30 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Shrader,
 I thought we agreed this "Great Brainchild" of Naitram's had bridged the gap and brought us closer together as Bro's, but I see you just can't pass up an opportunity to crow about my journey to the "TOP" of Horsepower Hill.  Ya'll just have to rib me about something, don't ya'? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  That's all right, man, you can rib me, but you can't pass me!!  Potato-Potato-Potato-Patato-Patato-Patato-TATERRRRRRRRRR!              
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 07:42:15 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Shrader,

2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.