Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tires Cupping  (Read 9858 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: Tires Cupping
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »

it is singing from the front , the test driver of the dealer also did not exactly know what it could be , definitely not the brakes he said ( like i also said .
But i will check again whether it could come from the rear wheel .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

judgenut

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

:-\ It seems the MO.CO. is not wanting to address this very easily. I have an 08 SERK with a little over 9000 mi. on and at 5000 I noticed the "cupping" so asked about it but the dealers thought it was an air pressure issue. I am very anal about things like that so I don't think so. I've never run them more than a pound off. I ended up replacing both tires at 8000 mi., even though the back one was good for maybe 3000 more. The front one was cupped to the bottom of the tread. I also complained about the pulsation when applying front brake pressure and was told---What do you expect with a cupped front tire? I put on a 407 on the back and an elite 3 on the front. They ride ok but low an behold I still have the front pulsation on braking. Back to the dealer!! We find now that the right rotor is warped .008 and the left is warped .006--H.D. won't do anything untill they are .011 so I spoze I'll have cupping on these as well!! I'm not a very aggressive rider so I don't feel that is an issue.Themechanic at my dealer is having the same prob. with his rotors and can't get any satisfacion either. I'm not a very happy camper!! 

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »

it is singing from the front , the test driver of the dealer also did not exactly know what it could be , definitely not the brakes he said ( like i also said .
But i will check again whether it could come from the rear wheel .

Now i think that i really hear it singing from the rear tire , i will check with the dealer , but first he must have a new D408F to be able to replace it.
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

:-\ It seems the MO.CO. is not wanting to address this very easily. I have an 08 SERK with a little over 9000 mi. on and at 5000 I noticed the "cupping" so asked about it but the dealers thought it was an air pressure issue. I am very anal about things like that so I don't think so. I've never run them more than a pound off. I ended up replacing both tires at 8000 mi., even though the back one was good for maybe 3000 more. The front one was cupped to the bottom of the tread. I also complained about the pulsation when applying front brake pressure and was told---What do you expect with a cupped front tire? I put on a 407 on the back and an elite 3 on the front. They ride ok but low an behold I still have the front pulsation on braking. Back to the dealer!! We find now that the right rotor is warped .008 and the left is warped .006--H.D. won't do anything untill they are .011 so I spoze I'll have cupping on these as well!! I'm not a very aggressive rider so I don't feel that is an issue.Themechanic at my dealer is having the same prob. with his rotors and can't get any satisfacion either. I'm not a very happy camper!! 

I have the same issue, I was training with a motor officer and he was showing me the fine art of 50 MPH front brake only panic stops...Anyway my tech , who shall remain nameless.... said get em hot as hell and hit 'em with the hose a few times.. 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »

So sue the SOB's.  Auto industry standards call for .002" maximum on rotors, so of course the geniuses at the MoCo who know so much more than the collective experts of the worldwide automotive industry decide to change their specs to 5 times the auto version.  This is the same crap, implemented for the same reason, as the sudden massive increase in the "acceptable" runout spec for crankshafts.  When you buy crap parts that don't meet the old specs, and you're a crooked bunch of jerks like those running the MoCo, you "fix" your warrranty cost exposure by changing the acceptance limits until all those crap parts are suddenly good parts.  They figure they can get away with it, because Harley riders have been letting the MoCo screw them for decades. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 03:13:17 AM »

As mentioned before: how many are we? Put a list together and send a letter/email/fax for each issue (saddle, tire, jiffy stand, ..) to the Moco and all motorcycle-newspaper and tv-station, who are associated/related to the motor-industry . Maybe they need the pressure from the public. If the public talks about quality-issues, they have to stand up and answer the questions.

>:(
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »

My second 407 frt. tire after 3k miles is starting to cup, first one was on my dime. Maybe I can get a 408 this time .  the 408 was hard to find the first time and I needed it to go on a trip. I got 10k miles out of the first 407.

:nixweiss:
Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

Just had mine switched out at 4385 miles on them but got stuck with another 407! I guess the only good part is I'll be getting a new front tire on them in 5000 more!!!!!     They said they didnt have a 408 and were back ordered!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.