Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!  (Read 20845 times)

joker1450

• FLHT 2002
This is my cam tensioner and bearings!
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »

FLHT '02 50.000 Km

this is my rear cam tensioner and the bearing that are "cooking"

:o

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »

With the big chunks of material missing out of the cam chain tensioner, you might want to look at your oil pump, too.  Probably not going to be good.

And let me guess...........the front cam chain tensioner looked normal? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:15:08 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

John S

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:23:18 PM »

I would stop screwing around with that technology and go with a gear drive setup.  Granted it is a lot of money (new cams because of reverse direction) but the reliability and accuracy of the timing is far better.  I am not sure if you have ever stopped by the S&S booth somewhere but they traditionally have a hand turned demonstration between a gear driven setup and a stock tensioner.  It is quite dramatic and it sold me.  But, as I said, money has to be spent.

The funny thing too is that I have a "B" (ballanced) motor and the same deal is with the chain for the counter balancers on the opposite side.  Now if someone could come up with a more reliable system to replace that horsepower is to be made there as well.

Friction uses power and these two tensioners have a lot of friction between them!!

:o :-[
Thank you.

John S.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 02:35:29 PM »

With all this talk on tensioners I will be biting the bullet and going gear.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:21:27 AM »

I've seen a number of these , as well as heard too many stories of failures.

I'm going with gear drive on my 95 build .  It's unfortunate that the MoCo switched away from gear drives that were used on the Evo's
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:30:56 AM »

FLHT '02 50.000 Km

this is my rear cam tensioner and the bearing that are "cooking"

:o

I don't see anything "cooking"  I see a worn tensioner that appears by the marks on the side to have been pried up with a screwdriver or pliers and some bearings that were removed from the cam plate and cases.  The wear that you picture looks just like every other worn tensioner.  In fact, your picture matches the picture of the one in the service manual saying to replace it.  As for the posts on chunks and oil pumps, I don't see any chunks missing.  If the tensioner had broken, then I would look for chunks.  
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 12:59:40 PM »

I don't see anything "cooking"  I see a worn tensioner that appears by the marks on the side to have been pried up with a screwdriver or pliers and some bearings that were removed from the cam plate and cases.  The wear that you picture looks just like every other worn tensioner.  In fact, your picture matches the picture of the one in the service manual saying to replace it.  As for the posts on chunks and oil pumps, I don't see any chunks missing.  If the tensioner had broken, then I would look for chunks.  

I've saw several "worn" cam chain tensioners and they do not all look like those pictured above.  Some are just worn smooth but no divets (looks like little chunks missing).  

hd-dude (a regualr contributer to this site) recently showed me some that he removed.  While the front one looks fairly normal, it was the rear tensioner that looked simular to the photos above and the oil pump was scored as a result of the little "chunks" floating around in there.....I saw it first hand......and that was a low milage bike (seems like it was 5 or 6k miles).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 02:51:21 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, joker1450,
  Are you using HD 20W/50, or synthetic?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

joker1450

• FLHT 2002
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »

For the first two year I have used the HD mineral oil, nou ONLY Mobil 1 Racing 15-50.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 09:02:59 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, joker1450,
  Are you using HD 20W/50, or synthetic?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD

Hubbard ,
  I just did a 95 CI on my 05 Ultra and swapped to a GearDrive System. The motor has 11,000 miles on it and has always run 20w50 Harley Syn.
The shoe with the chunks out of it is the outside shoe.
Im just waiting on some tools from Georges Garage on Ebay to finish the job and see if this thing will run now.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »

Hubbard ,
  I just did a 95 CI on my 05 Ultra and swapped to a GearDrive System. The motor has 11,000 miles on it and has always run 20w50 Harley Syn.
The shoe with the chunks out of it is the outside shoe.
Im just waiting on some tools from Georges Garage on Ebay to finish the job and see if this thing will run now.

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DavidB,
  Took Ol' Maudie down to Tilley's, Thursday, to have the cam shoes inspected, and valve springs replaced.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm curious as to what kind of shape mine are in.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've shown that Motor no mercy, and it has been trouble free.  Just doing some PM.  If they are damaged, I may replace with gear driven cams.  I used HD 20W/50 for break in period, and have had Synthetic in it since.  Somewhere around 8500-9000 miles since I had it built to a 120".  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 10:14:41 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DavidB,
  Took Ol' Maudie down to Tilley's, Thursday, to have the cam shoes inspected, and valve springs replaced.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm curious as to what kind of shape mine are in.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've shown that Motor no mercy, and it has been trouble free.  Just doing some PM.  If they are damaged, I may replace with gear driven cams.  I used HD 20W/50 for break in period, and have had Synthetic in it since.  Somewhere around 8500-9000 miles since I had it built to a 120".  Later--HUBBARD  

Hey Hub, I'm shocked to know that you did not have gears put in her when she was built up. What cams did you use and why? just curious [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DavidB,

I rode from Seattle back to the Nc with Don this year on the Petty Charity Ride. He is one heck of a LD Rider.
Ask him about the fog the rain and the free range cows on the Big Horn Mountains.
Dave

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 10:05:31 AM »

A chunk or not a chunk?  The little round BB shaped "divots" in the shoe are the ones that quietly cause the oil pump and related problems.  Out of the many, many that I have seen, I've never seen a "broken" shoe that actually threw large chunks of material, but have seen plenty with as little as 5k that have galled the bearings (as shown in the prior pics) and have ended up causing the oil pump to go unexpectedly "south" causing extensive damage.  If your shoes are wearing, the quickest way to check without tearing down is to cut your oil filter and spread the folds for inspection.  If you see any of the brown "chunks" and or "divots" your shoes are about to become a very expensive repair.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 11:06:06 AM »

Hey Hub, I'm shocked to know that you did not have gears put in her when she was built up. What cams did you use and why? just curious [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd-dude,
  SE-260's, as per Don Tilley.  At the time he built my Engine, he was not all that impressed with Gear Drive cams.  He knows I like top end speed, and these cams performed well.  Ain't seen nobodys tail lights, yet!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 21 queries.