Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: H-D Oil Temp Gauge - no go for FLHXSE?  (Read 7798 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: H-D Oil Temp Gauge - no go for FLHXSE?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »

I also heard that the SESG gauges are lit in red, and I assume the "standard" SG is lit in white. Does it look like there is anything different in the how the gauges in the SESG are illuminated? If it's just a color thing maybe a red bulb swap in the oil temp gauge to match?

They also probably make LED replacement bulbs for the oil temp gauge - just be a question of finding the right one. Supposedly I have an arrival date of 11/10 for my SR SESG ... I'll be looking into this once it arrives.

Another option might be to swap face-plates with the air temp gauge as long as the sweep range for the needle is the same on both. I think the Dakota package looks great, but not my cup 'o tea. Never been a fan of digital gauges (even in cars) so having a matching solution in analog form would be nice.

Read this thread....it is people with UC's 08 and older looking to get brighter gauge lights. One guy replaces his bulbs with LED's and it makes a huge difference. But further down the thread I posted a pic of my stock gauge lights and they are just as bright as the LED's that were being installed as upgrades. Compare the differences and see if you want to try to match the stock gauge brightness with a simple bulb swap.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40525.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »

I had my stock 10 SESG side by side with my 04 SEEG.  During the day, the gauges look exactly the same (they're both in red).  However, at night (in the dark) there's a big difference, not even close.  Some may think that just because they're both red.....that's close enough but side by side there is a big difference.  If you ride fast enough at night, nobody but you will ever know. :huepfenlol2:

The SESG gauges are pretty trick (I also read some place, that they're LED lights) and that's why I thought about putting the stock SESG gauges in Terrie's 09 SG.

Personally, I'd like to see everybody start contacting the MoCo asking for a matching oil temp gauge. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:45:07 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »

Personally, I'd like to see everybody start contacting the MoCo asking for a matching oil temp gauge. :2vrolijk_21:

Great idea ... I'm in for that.
Got an email that everyone can use?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »

Great idea ... I'm in for that.
Got an email that everyone can use?

I email a friend that works at the corporate offices however, a letter can certainly be sent.  They do get passed along to the right dept. doen't necessarily mean they'll respond.  But in this case, I think they will.  This style of gauge is going to be around for a few years. :2vrolijk_21:

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:

Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:16:29 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

Has anyone heard lately if the MoCo is producing an oil temp gauge for the SESG?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »

Not the MoCo but Dakota Digital gives you both head temp and oil temp. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »

Not the MoCo but Dakota Digital gives you both head temp and oil temp. :2vrolijk_21:

Says the evil man beckoning the dollars from my wallet! :devil:

I don't think I could do just the one DD gauge, and I can't afford to change them all out....

I just saw a thread about the same thing on the FLHTCUSE board about changing out the non-LED bulb in the spun aluminum gauge that HD currently sells.  I may have to go this way if they don't ever offer the matching one.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=46470.0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:42:12 PM by Sapper6 »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »

There you go again....

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »

Has anyone heard lately if the MoCo is producing an oil temp gauge for the SESG?

SAPPER6,

I may have missed this but are you aware that an oil temp gauge exisit but the back light doesn't match the "new" 2010 gauges.  If you don't do much night riding it may not be an issue.  Don't know when or if the MoCo will come out with one to match our 2010's.

Keep safe and keep in touch.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »

SAPPER6,

I may have missed this but are you aware that an oil temp gauge exisit but the back light doesn't match the "new" 2010 gauges.  If you don't do much night riding it may not be an issue.  Don't know when or if the MoCo will come out with one to match our 2010's.

Keep safe and keep in touch.

Mark!

Long time no see brother!   You must be busy riding or spending time with your family :2vrolijk_21:

I'll probably end up going with the close is good gauge: P/N 75320-05A and a WLED-RHP bulb. The thread I had linked to my other post showed how some of the SEUC owners replaced the standard bulb in the gauge with a WLED-RHP LED bulb for a closer, but still not exact match.

I may not be doing too many mods when I get home anyway....   I should be to busy riding :bananarock:

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

Mark!

Long time no see brother!   You must be busy riding or spending time with your family :2vrolijk_21:

I'll probably end up going with the close is good gauge: P/N 75320-05A and a WLED-RHP bulb. The thread I had linked to my other post showed how some of the SEUC owners replaced the standard bulb in the gauge with a WLED-RHP LED bulb for a closer, but still not exact match.

I may not be doing too many mods when I get home anyway....   I should be to busy riding :bananarock:

I knew you had your s--t together  :coolblue:  Keep your head down and spitirt up!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »

Just installed the oil-temp ga. on my 08 FLHTCUSE3
With Spun face, it was on backorder from manuf. for 6 mo.
So as to ensure I could get one before it possibly became extinct, I called around and
found on the shelf of another dealer in Wisc.
Good Luck!
Sawyerghost
Sawyer Ghost

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »

Says the evil man beckoning the dollars from my wallet! :devil:

I don't think I could do just the one DD gauge, and I can't afford to change them all out....

I just saw a thread about the same thing on the FLHTCUSE board about changing out the non-LED bulb in the spun aluminum gauge that HD currently sells.  I may have to go this way if they don't ever offer the matching one.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=46470.0

Oh no..........I'm not beckoning dollars from your wallet.  I don't want anything from you.......just tryin to help. :nixweiss:          :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Seriously Sapper........I'm just damn happy for you that you got the bike you wanted. :2vrolijk_21:  You don't need an oil temp gauge unless you plan on riding in Az. or Calif. in the summer.  Tuner, open the exhaust, cams, dyno tune it by somebody that really knows how to tune and you're good to go. :2vrolijk_21:

By the way.....for what it's worth.....now that it's been in the high 70s here in Nor Cal, I've started monitoring the temps between my bike and that of my wife's 09 Street Glide as we're riding (we have the Nolan N-103 w/wireless intercom).  My bike only runs about 2-6 degrees hotter than her 96" at any given time. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:15:56 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

You don't need an oil temp gauge unless you plan on riding in Az. or Calif. in the summer.

Well I may have to put that gauge in and then I'll have to go to Calif. and Arizona to ensure an adequate test!

Seriously Sapper........I'm just damn happy for you that you got the bike you wanted. :2vrolijk_21:

Well my friend, the great thing about how my bike deal worked out was that I always knew if things didn't work out with the dealer here in Iraq that I would get all the help I needed from this forum.  Everybody came through for me here and I never had any doubt that they wouldn't. :2vrolijk_21:

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

Thanks for the info on this one.  That air temp gauge is worthless.  Other than switching to Dakota Digitals, does anyone have any ideas to more accurately measure the engine temp? 
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.