Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: intake rain cap  (Read 1605 times)

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
intake rain cap
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »

Does anyone know if you can use the intake rain cap that comes with the new bikes while riding or is this just for being parked in the rain? yeah like I would leave it outside in the rain ;D
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

04se103

Re: intake rain cap
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »

Its for riding in the rain

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »

The rain sock is for riding in the rain.  You can also use it all the time if you prefer, as sort of a prefilter to keep the big chunks out of the regular filter so you don't have to clean it as often.  Go to the K&N web site and you can find rain socks in various colors, so you can change them to suit your moods.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »

I was also told to ALWAYS use it when you wash the bike. Water damages the filter element.

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »

Thanks guys
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »

I was also told to ALWAYS use it when you wash the bike. Water damages the filter element.

Oh hell.....I was my bike every week and have never put the rain sock on.  Of course I blow the air filter back out with the air force blow dryer before starting the bike.  But it's never been an issue in 11,000 miles. :nixweiss:

Never had a rain sock on my old K&N filters and they hung way outside the cover.......over 60,000 miles on my SEEG.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that the element in the "Ventilator" air cleaner was a washable paper material just like the regular stock filters.  If that is the case, I don't see how getting the element wet is going to damage it.  What I would be more worried about is how rich the bike would run if I decided to crank it up and ride away right after soaking the filter.

Anyhow, I would consider it a good idea to cover the element with something, even a plastic shopping bag, when hosing the bike down.  Don't want any green mold growing in your filter.  ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.