Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter grind  (Read 2042 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Starter grind
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:33 AM »

My 08 SEUC was built in late May 08 and it has been confirmed I have the newer 110 engine upgrades (head gasket, ACRs, etc.).  I had an ACR problem at the rear cylinder about 10K miles ago (dealer replaced the ACR); bike now has 30K miles.  Now every 3rd cold start or so, the starter cranks, then grinds as if I had a small kickback.  This symptom just began during the last month.  If I continue to hold the starter button down, the starter engages again and the bike starts.  At hot starts, the bike typically starts normally.  Also, it SEEMS to start better, without grinding, if after I turn the ignition on, immediately hit the starter (like there may be some injector leakage?). 
Any thoughts?  I am taking it into the dealer since warranty expires next month.
T-man

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
Re: Starter grind
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »

This is a very common problem with the 110 engine. I have three close friends (2 with Seuc's and one with a SERK) plus my own that all do this. Mine seems to be worse when it is hot rather then when it is cold.

The mechanic at the local stealership said he didn't know any way of stopping it, but that as far as he was concerned it didn't do any harm to anything. Sounds bl**dy awful though!

BD
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:08:51 AM »

My bike has had two clutch gears replace and today a new starter is going in. It sounds like crap about every 5-6 start. Does not mater if it's hot or cold.
Bill

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »

Had the starter on my '07 SEUC replaced under w*rranty with a chrome high-torque unit.
Been ok since...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »

My 08 SEUC Kasper did it from new and all the way up to 46,000 miles. Had dealer look at it numerous times and they could not ever find anything wrong. My answer to that was Buy a 2010 SEUC and problem goes away. It is probably one of the nicest things besides the new suspension that I love about the bike. You hit the starter and it starts so easy with no GOD Aweful Sound and kickback. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

You need a new starter motor - it is going bad.  Fixed mine both times.  Starters seem to last about 25k - at least on my bike.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »

The starter should be fine but the starter clutch (and possibly pinion and ring gear) might be going bad. The starter clutch gets gumed up and the pinion gear can't fully engauge. I've been through 2 already but may not be your problem.
Have you replaced your fuel filter and fuel pump hoses yet? Probably not the problem, you just mentioned injector leakage and the fuel pump hose leakage we have came to mind.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.