Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HK GPS MAPS  (Read 4174 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
HK GPS MAPS
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:17 AM »

The Harman Kardon GPS is obsolete, I must assume that there will not be any updates on there maps for those who are waiting. I was informed this by a Harley Dealer when inquiring about any updates for the GPS.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Re: HK GPS MAPS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

Thanks for your e-mail. But unfortunately, the fact is that  there are no map updates for the GPS units. As the GPS models have been discontinued from our line of business. I deeply apologize for the  inconvenience.

8500 Balboa Blvd.

Northridge, California 91329

Email: hcgcustomersupport1@harman.com

Web: www.harman.com

Ratish Acharya

Customer Service Representative

Harman Consumer Group

This is the reply I recieved from Harman Kardon, still waiting on a reply from Navteq the actual supplier of the maps

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »

This is actually good news in that it probably means Harley is cooking up a more modern alternative, most likely with Garmin!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »

This is actually good news in that it probably means Harley is cooking up a more modern alternative, most likely with Garmin!

Thanks goodness they're killing that one!  I know, it's easy for me to say because I don't have one, but that was one accessory that wasn't worth 10% of what the MoCo thought it was.  Bring on the full LED display with built in GPS and Audio controls!
 :D
Big Lew
IBA #595

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »

I have one and miho, good riddance!  Get with the times already!  How about a liquid cooled 2,000 cc 150HP/TQ Touring Rev motor while you're at it.   :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock:

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »

I had the handlebar one the Roadtech and it was OK, but I actually liked the HK one better. All I need is someone to tell me when to turn I know what a street and intersection looks like. Just tell me if it's coming up in 500ft or so. Just sad for the fact that it was an additional $800.00 bucks and not it's worth it's weight in scrap. I also contacted Navteq and they stated if Harman Kardon does not request anything it will not happen. I asked the person if there were any other disks that worked the same and she stated that this one was written specifically for the HD. The local dealers response was, are you ready, Just trade it in for a new one. Yeah I bet I do. I'm still walking around like John Wayne from this rodeo

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »

Hate to say it, but when you factor in the maps preinstalled on a new bike are already approx 2 years old, they do get obsolete pretty quickly. I've got a nav in my Tahoe and that didn't even have local subdivisions that were at least 2 years old when I got it.  I really like the fact with Garmin, if you buy the lifetime upgrade package for around $100, it'll always be fairly up to date.  Nice feature.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:17 AM »

More to the point, Harman would have to ask Navteq for the update but before that happened Harley would have to ask Harman. Updated disc sets would negatively affect Harley sales of whatever "new" system they're selling at the moment.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »

In other words, Planned obsolence, pretty much before they even hit the road. That is soooo Moco.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »

Iron Cross you pretty much hit the nail on the head. That was just about exactly what I was told on the phone. Unless the MOCO asks for it you can forget it. Unless someone can find a map set that is compatable with this system it's dead!!!!!!!! along with the $800.00 that the MOCO charged you for it on your 07 and 08 CVO regardless if you wanted it or not.

JETCVO

• Full CVO Member
  • CopperTop #1643
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 02:43:32 AM »

Iron Cross you pretty much hit the nail on the head. That was just about exactly what I was told on the phone. Unless the MOCO asks for it you can forget it. Unless someone can find a map set that is compatable with this system it's dead!!!!!!!! along with the $800.00 that the MOCO charged you for it on your 07 and 08 CVO regardless if you wanted it or not.
May I suggest, everyone who has the embedded GPS, please phone the MoCo and demand an update.
Just might get it!  Demand an update or a refund!  ;D
Post when you call?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:20:27 PM by JETCVO »

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:36 AM »

Maybe Jet CVO has a good idea, maybe if enough of us call the MOCO and complain they will request the new maps. I'm not buying another GPS just because it has pretty road maps on it. This one works good enough for me. All I need is someone to tell me when my turn is coming up. I don't see how you can look at those things while your operating a motorcycle espicially in heavy traffic. I know it won't let you plan a ride and install it into the GPS, but what I do is find a location on a scenic route and then pick another destination from there and ride on. Just my 2 cents worth

JETCVO

• Full CVO Member
  • CopperTop #1643
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »

Maybe Jet CVO has a good idea, maybe if enough of us call the MOCO and complain they will request the new maps. I'm not buying another GPS just because it has pretty road maps on it. This one works good enough for me. All I need is someone to tell me when my turn is coming up. I don't see how you can look at those things while your operating a motorcycle espicially in heavy traffic. I know it won't let you plan a ride and install it into the GPS, but what I do is find a location on a scenic route and then pick another destination from there and ride on. Just my 2 cents worth

I concur, the embedded system works ok although cumbersome, it will get you from point A to B.
The non-intuitive setup procedures and need to load disk are the biggest problems.

Softwear update could fix the idiosyncrasies if someone cared about the system and customers who purchased it.
The GPS antenna is a relative cheap piece of equipment costing about $50.00.
The rest is softwear, so it can be fixed!!

My take on this issue is as follows:
Update and fix the embedded system or offer all owners with the embedded system the GARMIN 665 at half off.
We as owners shouldn’t let the MoCo get away with this act of buffoonery!

Thank you.
JETCVO
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:38:16 PM by JETCVO »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »

Not sure it's completely fair to complain about being left out in the cold with the HK radio's nav system.  Not that HD's abandoning the system almost immediately after they charged you for it is fair.  It's not.

But the damn thing was so far behind the curve for what modern systems do, how their interface works, and what it offers that you had to have a clue it was just a stop gap to something else.  Just a placeholder so they could say "we've got it" when they had nothing and other mftr's had modern systems all over the place.  Any system so obviously put in place to fill that need in that way is going to be orphaned very soon.  Just the nature of the beast within the decision process that puts it there.

Chit thing to do?  Sure.  Unexpected?  Not at all.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »

I still agree with JET CVO, if enough of us complain to the MOCO about it they will do something about it. If not they will probably assume no one cares. I do care, I paid $900.00 for this thing, yes it was included in the price but it was not free. Automobile manufacturers must supply parts for an auto for I believe it's 10 years. I guess this does not apply to motorcycles. Harley needs to start paying more attention to customer satisfaction.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.