Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Something strange with my radio  (Read 7567 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Something strange with my radio
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

I have the stock HK radio in my SESG with a hawg Wired amp and speakers and everything was fine--up until Friday that is....2 hrs into the trip to Laconia this weekend the radio just stops playing--the radio works and changes sources and songs, but no sound. Turn it off and let it rest for a while and then it works again--for 10 minutes then it stops. That's the way it was all weekend. Then today it was a little cooler in the morning so the radio worked for 2 hours then the same thing happened. By this afternoon it was really hot again so the radio only worked for 5 minutes then it needed 15 minutes of rest before it worked again. My question is---radio or amp??? Anybody ever run into this one???

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
Re: Something strange with my radio
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »

Radio....most likely vibration damage. Something we see in the 06 and 07's with broken fairing brackets, but we sometimes see it in newer models with heavier speakers in the fairing and amps sitting on top of the radio. Radio needs to be repaired and the vibration mod needs to be reinforced

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

Radio....most likely vibration damage. Something we see in the 06 and 07's with broken fairing brackets, but we sometimes see it in newer models with heavier speakers in the fairing and amps sitting on top of the radio. Radio needs to be repaired and the vibration mod needs to be reinforced

Bike has 3500 miles on it and no fairing  bracket damage. Speakers and amp went in about 1500 miles ago. Why would it work sometimes???

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »

Vibration damage puts very small cracks in the audio circuit. Either on the board or across some components. You need a microscope to find them. The cracks are so small that the least bit of heat can affect the connection. Turn the radio off and the circuit cools enough to make connection and your audio is back. Over time, the condition will get worse. The fact that it happened at such low mileage is unusual, but there are many possible contributing factors. The aftermarket units alot of us use are even more susceptible to this condition. Once the audio circuit is reinforced, the possibility of reoccurance very remote.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »

Vibration damage puts very small cracks in the audio circuit. Either on the board or across some components. You need a microscope to find them. The cracks are so small that the least bit of heat can affect the connection. Turn the radio off and the circuit cools enough to make connection and your audio is back. Over time, the condition will get worse. The fact that it happened at such low mileage is unusual, but there are many possible contributing factors. The aftermarket units alot of us use are even more susceptible to this condition. Once the audio circuit is reinforced, the possibility of reoccurance very remote.

What can you do to fix it??? And what will it cost me??

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

fFx is as stated before. Find and repair the damage and reinforce the audio circuit. For price and warranty info, check out our web site at www.ironcrossaudio.com or give us a call

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »

It may be the amp is going into a shutdown mode due to excessive heat.  Give Hawg-Wired a call. 

What speakers are you using?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 06:16:28 AM »

Remove or bypass the amp. If it continues to shut down the radio is the problem. If it does not shut down the amp is the problem.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:58:38 AM »

Thought about bypassing the amp also. I was just curious if anybody else had this issue. I guess each person could have a different problem.

Hawg wired speakers also.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »

It won't be the speakers since you loose output to both at the same time. It will be the amp, radio or a lose connection. Start with bypassing the amp that is the easy part and a logical troubleshooting step.

Good luck with it.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 07:09:51 AM »

Definitely not a loose connection. I was going to wait for it to happen again, leave everything on, rip the fairing off then quikly bypass the amp and see if I get sound.

I was just hoping for a "yeah..that happened to me and it was....."

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »

Definitely not a loose connection. I was going to wait for it to happen again, leave everything on, rip the fairing off then quikly bypass the amp and see if I get sound.

I was just hoping for a "yeah..that happened to me and it was....."

If you do that, you may actually get the audio back as you move everything around. Take the amp out of the system and ride it. It's hot enough here now, the audio will cut out.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »

AMP bypassed and still no audio---spoke with Tony....you will have my radio by Wednesday.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »

Yesterday

Radio still has a problem, zzztttitt (sound) then no sound. I can see the display but no sound, well I started pushing the speaker button and what do you know. The sound came on, then same thing zzzzttiit no sound, so I clicked the speaker button again in a differant postion and the sound came back on. What do you guys think, maybe a bad speaker switch?

All this time, two radio's and it maybe a switch,  >:( >:( >:(, well I hope this finally fixes this problem

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

Good luck with it Marty. Got to have those tunes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.