Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The dealer is suggesting me to install.....  (Read 8960 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: The dealer is suggesting me to install.....
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/
Get a hold of Doc
He will help you.

Don't change those heads yours are not that bad. A Wood cam and tune and your bike will not be the same. You can go further if you are chasing numbers but the cost will go up exponentially and the result will not.
If you get into head work changing the guides is mandatory and the guides in the MVA heads are still the cast iron junk guides (I should clarify cast iron and the chrome plated valve stems paired) that caused seizures in the earlier heads.

Thanks mi amigo for the advise....do you live in Florida?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

Don't change those heads yours are not that bad. A Wood cam and tune and your bike will not be the same. You can go further if you are chasing numbers but the cost will go up exponentially and the result will not.

Dewey are you now saying that in 2011 bikes the heads have been fixed and the worries are over? 

The stock guides are a comodity part, cast iron, and they offer over sizes FWIW. The stock guides have a loose stem fit to prevent the exhaust valve seizing (not the root cause) as they did on the hotter running 07-08 bikes. The program replacement heads for these early 110 touring bikes have these guides fitted and I have one on my desk that seized anyway, the photo, and ripped the guide right out of the head in half. This head was fixed, no issue. They increased the press fit (which wasn't the root cause) and they also have an annoying snap ring groove that pulls metal when the heads are heated and guides driven out, actually that metal pull happened when they initially are pressed in, just get worse going back out. Have that issue dealt with now too. We porters have to work with what we are dealt for cards and on 110 heads, all of them for us, first order of business is to take out the stock guides and fit with the right press and stem clearance the AV&V bronze maganese guides. These can run a little closer fit for more valve and seal life and lower oil consumption.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »

Nothing has changed on any of the heads including the MVA and Hurricanes. I previously posted a photo of a new program head with a guide pulled out of the head and ripped in half, rear exhaust. That was an 07 bike with program 09 heads and very few miles.

If the customer wants to do headwork then we fix the guides, first order of business.
If not they run what they have.
A cam change wakes them up and we all know that.
Many don't want to pull heads (warranty issues are one concern for some) but if they do I still suggest changing the guides. 

10SE5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
    • CVO2: non CVO 2007 FXDWG Scorpion Blue/Scorpion Silver 109hp/111tq
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 07:12:02 AM »

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/
Get a hold of Doc
He will help you.

If you get into head work changing the guides is mandatory and the guides in the MVA heads are still the cast iron junk guides (I should clarify cast iron and the chrome plated valve stems paired) that caused seizures in the earlier heads.

X2! He is also in Florida. He can set you up.
Fullsac X-Pipe, 2.0 baffles, TTS. Dyno tuned by Dave at JD's Cycle works. 96 HP/110 TQ
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.