Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Rx Glasses, bi-focals Help!  (Read 6778 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
Rx Glasses, bi-focals Help!
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »

Hello
I have hit the age of bifocals, and I need some help.
My distant vision is still good but for reading I now have reading glasses.  With my new FLHTCUSE5 I have found myself not being able to read all the red LEDs on the dash.  I am wondering what others in the same boat do.
Do you get Rx sun glasses? or Rx glasses that have tinting?  How much of the lens do you have with the bifocal?
Let me know what works for you.
Thanks
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Rx Glasses, bi-focals Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »

I have progressive bifocals (no line) and last pair of glasses I had I got the clip on sunglasses with them. Just purchased a new pair of glasses (Oakley) that I'm waiting on arrival. On those I got progressive (bifocals) again but going with transition lens on these. The transition lenses will turn to sunglasses when I go out in the sun and return to regular (clear) glasses when I'm not in sun. I've had transition lenses before, but not in bifocals so will see how this works.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »

Transition lenses are the way to go.

For me, reading the fine print on a map was the first to go.

I have the reading bifocals and previously tried the magnetic clip on sunglasses also but you are always having to carry the sunglass lenses around. The new transition lenses give you a few color choices maybe grey, green, or brown and eliminate that need to carry an additional set.

For some reason I was resistant to this lense type in the past but now cannot imagine getting a new scrip in anything else.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »

I don't have the definitive answer but a couple of thoughts:
Are you getting these just to ride or for full time use? IMHO one needs at least couple of pairs. One for work, etc. and another for riding. You should consider Panoptix (sp) and Wiley X for riding. Time was they used to not do progressive lenses. That may have changed. Don't forget that the glasses are for seeing AND protection. Cover as much of you eyes as you can.
Get progressive lenses. NO LINE. You'll hate the line. Don't do it. Seriously. Don't get the line.
Transition lenses are great but they've a couple of limitations. They don't darken in a car (UV blocked) and they take forever to change to clear in cold weather. I've gone w/ a set of dark green lenses and a pair of transitions.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »

I have progressive bifocals (no line) and last pair of glasses I had I got the clip on sunglasses with them. Just purchased a new pair of glasses (Oakley) that I'm waiting on arrival. On those I got progressive (bifocals) again but going with transition lens on these. The transition lenses will turn to sunglasses when I go out in the sun and return to regular (clear) glasses when I'm not in sun. I've had transition lenses before, but not in bifocals so will see how this works.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I agree with d00d, I have the no line bifocals just for reading, my long distance vision isn't that bad yet. As for the transition lenses, I don't have them, but heard that with the new UV blocker in car windshields that they may not get very dark in the car, I don't know this for a fact, just hear.

Craig

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

I have had a few transitions...another limitation is that they never go absolutely clear...I have switched out to clear lenses during a few late night, really dark drives. I've been lucky in that I've had a few 4 month contracts in the last few years allowing me to 'get on' numerous benifit plans for short periods of time....I think the transitions grey drivers are my favorite all-round pair.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »

Definitely get progressives for all the different distances you need to see. They get stronger as you look down through the lens for mid to near vision. The transitions are convenient, but you always seem to give up function for convenience. Heat and anything that blocks UV like a helmet visor makes them not darken all the way. Definitely do not get polarized lenses because they will make polycarbonate windshields hard to see through and create what appear to be wet spots on pavement which could be dangerous. When I prescribe sunglasses for folks I usually recommend brown lenses to cut more blue light which is very annoying to our visual system. Grey lenses are good in that colors remain true which is important for law enforcement and pilots. So what do I wear...brown, non polarized, progressive, CR-39 plastic lenses. Next best would be to use polycarbonate lenses for heavier prescriptions, but the optics are not as good as CR-39 plastic. Glass lenses have prestine optics but are too heavy for most folks.  Doc  

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »

Red Eagle, 

I am in the same boat as you.  Had lasik years ago but after about ten years, I found I could not read the odometer, etc.  I agree transition lenses are the way to go so you only have to have one pair with you.    8)

I recently checked at one of the motor cycle shows about getting bifocals for my Seven Eye Transition Sunglasses.  It seemed price prohibitive to me.  Years ago, I found theses:  OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals.  You can get them in whatever power you need and they can be found on Amazon.com in various powers for under $10.  They work perfectly and once put on properly will not move.  They can be trimmed to fit whatever sunglasses you are using and moved or changed as you need just by using water.  If you know your PD (pupil distance), they can be set like Rx glasses would be.  Works for me!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »

I too had Lasik about 14 yrs ago and just now am starting to need "reading Glasses" so when I was picking out my new glasses the Lady showed me a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with a small Bi-Focal built in.  They are perfect cause my distance sight is fine and now I can read the dash as well.  Here is some info on them but you can get them just about anywhere.  Maui Jim Maui Readers

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »

I started to notice my distance was getting a little fuzzy, and my reading was as well. I bought a pair of those cheapos reader from the local Walgreens at +1.25 and those worked great. I only needed those for close reading and on the bike or in the car, it was not needed. Anything further out than a foot was fine.

I just broke down and ordered some driving glasses, for distance, and when I got them, distance was great, but they made my closer range horrible. Now, I can't focus on anything closer than 3 foot away.  Didn't dawn on my the distance glasses would make my near vision worse? Lesson learned.

So I just went back to have them made into progressives. We'll see how that works out.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »

I too had Lasik about 14 yrs ago and just now am starting to need "reading Glasses" so when I was picking out my new glasses the Lady showed me a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with a small Bi-Focal built in.  They are perfect cause my distance sight is fine and now I can read the dash as well.  Here is some info on them but you can get them just about anywhere.  Maui Jim Maui Readers

Marty
Hmmmm.. I thought your new glasses were called "Paula's"? :confused5: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

You had to known that was coming. ;) :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »

Marty

I wear cheap swap meet bifocal sunglasses as a back up. Get the low power +1.00 or +1.50 so you can get out far enough from the dash on that RG. I think I paid $12.00 for them as opposed to $500++ for my progressive Persols.  Lou

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »

I've had progresive lens glasses for years.(3 prescritions in them)

when I first got them, opt. talked me into just clear with clipon sunglasses. he didn't want me getting used to too many changes at once.BULL.

after 1 month, took them back cause they were scratched all to hell from wind.
got new glasses free with transition lens, and am living happily.

had prescription changed a few times over the last 10 years (just keep gettin older)
but I found, they are the best way to go.  Transition, and progresive lens  :2vrolijk_21:

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »

I've had progresive lens glasses for years.(3 prescritions in them)

when I first got them, opt. talked me into just clear with clipon sunglasses. he didn't want me getting used to too many changes at once.BULL.

after 1 month, took them back cause they were scratched all to hell from wind.
got new glasses free with transition lens, and am living happily.

had prescription changed a few times over the last 10 years (just keep gettin older)
but I found, they are the best way to go.  Transition, and progresive lens  :2vrolijk_21:
I'm with you on this Dennis.....   :nervous:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Dwight

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide CVO/Champion Trike
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »

I use tinted safety glasses with a 1 or 1.5 reader (bi-focal) in them.  Generally pay around $5 to $7 per pair, I usually order 3 pair at a time.  When they get scratched up I just throw them away.  Google tinted safety glasses.

Dwight
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 23 queries.