Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: When to change 9 Volt alarm battery?  (Read 13671 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
When to change 9 Volt alarm battery?
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

I haven't had any issues yet but while I'm still waiting for a replacement clutch hub I haven't started riding this year yet.  While it is down I was wondering how long the alarm battery last?  I replaced the Fob batteries last year.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ray G.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: When to change 9 Volt alarm battery?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »

I haven't had any issues yet but while I'm still waiting for a replacement clutch hub I haven't started riding this year yet.  While it is down I was wondering how long the alarm battery last?  I replaced the Fob batteries last year.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ray G.

This answer isn't very helpful as to a specific time or interval. I change them when I notice they've gone dead.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

This answer isn't very helpful as to a specific time or interval. I change them when I notice they've gone dead.

You're not very nice there Mr Twolanerider Sir. In fact, I think you're being rude today. What's up with you ? You been down roamin around those old zinc mines down your way lately ?

I'll have you know, this is www.cvoharley.com  mister wise acre and don't you forget it !

People round these parts fix things that ain't broke in case they're fixin to break or just because their buddies said that the whatchamacallit Super X 2011 Series 5 model was better than the thingamajig Max Y 2010 Series III (a) model.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »

You're not very nice there Mr Twolanerider Sir. In fact, I think you're being rude today. What's up with you ? You been down roamin around those old zinc mines down your way lately ?

I'll have you know, this is www.cvoharley.com  mister wise acre and don't you forget it !

People round these parts fix things that ain't broke in case they're fixin to break or just because their buddies said that the whatchamacallit Super X 2011 Series 5 model was better than the thingamajig Max Y 2010 Series III (a) model.

B B

That would be one of them there "prophylactic repairs" and I'll have you know my motorsickles don't wear them things :coolblue: .

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »

That would be one of them there "prophylactic repairs" and I'll have you know my motorsickles don't wear them things :coolblue: .

psssssssss  I hear they're a good investment though !

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

psssssssss  I hear they're a good investment though !

Da only investment I know about motorsickles is when I invest my butt on to the saddle and take that bitch for a ride.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

Da only investment I know about motorsickles is when I invest my butt on to the saddle and take that bitch for a ride.

Where do you put the teutle in a tu tu ?

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »

Where do you put the teutle in a tu tu ?

B B

That was Caplinger!  I wouldn't let one of the Teutuls ride BSR for all the crap in Harleyland!

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »

I don't mind replacing it when it's dead, I just don't want to be stuck in alarm mode on a Sunday evening when I can't reach anybody to bale me out.  Seriously does it just die quietly or does it go whacky until it runs out of juice?  There must be a way of by-passing the alarm system in an emergency.  A PM with that info would be a real nice Easter present.   

You guys are a riot,

Ray G.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »

If the battery goes bad, I don't think you will get stranded, so don't worry about that aspect.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »

I don't mind replacing it when it's dead, I just don't want to be stuck in alarm mode on a Sunday evening when I can't reach anybody to bale me out.  Seriously does it just die quietly or does it go whacky until it runs out of juice?  There must be a way of by-passing the alarm system in an emergency.  A PM with that info would be a real nice Easter present.   

You guys are a riot,

Ray G.

Alarm system will still work (so long as the bike's battery isn't dead).  The 9v is just a backup for times when someone might attempt to get at the bike and disconnect the main battery.  When the 9v is dead the best tell tale is it'll stop chirping.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »

If you are well versed at arming and disarming manually, wait til it's dead.  If not, I'd change every 15 months.  Just went thru the exercise and picked up the replacements at Radio Shack
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »

You guys are a riot,

Ray G.

There is a way to disarm it however, it'd be easier if you read the owners manual than a PM. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »

If you are well versed at arming and disarming manually, wait til it's dead.  If not, I'd change every 15 months.  Just went thru the exercise and picked up the replacements at Radio Shack

The bike arms or disarms without the 9v battery being up.  The fob battery of course has to be charged.  But the bike alarm system works if the 9v is dead.  You just don't have the backup function that comes if someone/something messes with main battery power.

The Road Glide hasn't chirped on arm and disarm since February.  Maybe this thread will prompt to change the battery this evening.  Or when I'm done on the phone after bit.  Sometime.....  I hope.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »

If you're talking about the battery in the siren, it's only there as a backup for the siren in case the main battery goes dead or some heathen thief cuts the battery cable.  So unless that happens on a regular basis, the backup battery will last many years (mine is 6 years old and still fine; I'll probably change it this year if I get ambitious).  It is a rechargeable 9V NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery, and Harley projects it's normal life span as anywhere from 3 to 6 years.  I'm not sure what the industry number would be, since Harley doesn't share such info in the hope that you will be forced to buy all your replacement parts from them and their dealers at inflated prices.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442270573&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302291023&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302291023&bmUID=1302634291023&bmLocale=en_US

BTW, this only affects the siren, not the main security system functions.  The security system will work without the optional siren, and if the main battery goes dead the engine is pretty much disabled anyway, if you know what I mean.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »

There is a way to disarm it however, it'd be easier if you read the owners manual than a PM. :2vrolijk_21:

Have you ever read the owner's manual as regards the H-D Security System JC ?

It's in H-D Tech Speak fercrissakes.

That says it all.

Somebody send the poor guy a PM

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

If you're talking about the battery in the siren, it's only there as a backup for the siren in case the main battery goes dead or some heathen thief cuts the battery cable.  So unless that happens on a regular basis, the backup battery will last many years (mine is 6 years old and still fine; I'll probably change it this year if I get ambitious).  It is a rechargeable 9V NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery, and Harley projects it's normal life span as anywhere from 3 to 6 years.  I'm not sure what the industry number would be, since Harley doesn't share such info in the hope that you will be forced to buy all your replacement parts from them and their dealers at inflated prices.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442270573&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302291023&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302291023&bmUID=1302634291023&bmLocale=en_US

BTW, this only affects the siren, not the main security system functions.  The security system will work without the optional siren, and if the main battery goes dead the engine is pretty much disabled anyway, if you know what I mean.

Jerry

Jerry, since the thread title included "9v alarm batter" it's a good guess that's the battery in question.  It's the one I was talking about anyway.  Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and many other places have 9v lithium batteries too.  No reason at all to buy that from HD.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

Jerry, since the thread title included "9v alarm batter" it's a good guess that's the battery in question.  It's the one I was talking about anyway.  Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and many other places have 9v lithium batteries too.  No reason at all to buy that from HD.

Yup, I started that reply and had to walk away for awhile, didn't look before hitting the post button on my return to see all the other responses.  BTW, I wasn't suggesting folks had to buy it from H-D, just giving them a link if they wanted to see what H-D offered and to be able to access the instruction pdf file which will help in the removal of the battery.  I would take the existing battery out first and take it by the local Radio Shack or similar store; some folks will most likely just spend their money at the local Harley store.  Most folks will probably not even realize there is a backup battery, unless they read this thread. ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jiml53

• 1K CVO Member
  • Silent Service

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 blk #535
    • CVO2: '02 FXDX-T
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »

Yup, I started that reply and had to walk away for awhile, didn't look before hitting the post button on my return to see all the other responses.  BTW, I wasn't suggesting folks had to buy it from H-D, just giving them a link if they wanted to see what H-D offered and to be able to access the instruction pdf file which will help in the removal of the battery.  I would take the existing battery out first and take it by the local Radio Shack or similar store; some folks will most likely just spend their money at the local Harley store.  Most folks will probably not even realize there is a backup battery, unless they read this thread. ;)

Jerry

Great info none the less. Thanks for taking the time and posting.

jim   :coolblue:
Deep Silent Fast Deadly

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »

Remember we are talking about 2 different alarm system key fobs.  On my 2003, the battery is used only when you hit the button to arm and 2x to disarm.  On the later models that automatically arm, the battery is looking for the bike all the time.  My 2003 still has the original battery; whereas the 2009 required a change when neither fob  would disarm the alarm and allow the bike to start. 

The later version takes a 3 volt lithium battery and can be changed out in less than 2 minutes.  I don't know about a 9 volt battery? 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »

Remember we are talking about 2 different alarm system key fobs.  On my 2003, the battery is used only when you hit the button to arm and 2x to disarm.  On the later models that automatically arm, the battery is looking for the bike all the time.  My 2003 still has the original battery; whereas the 2009 required a change when neither fob  would disarm the alarm and allow the bike to start. 

The later version takes a 3 volt lithium battery and can be changed out in less than 2 minutes.  I don't know about a 9 volt battery? 

The little coin sized batteries in the fobs need regular replacement.  And it's obvious when they've died; the fob stops working.  The thread title's 9 volt only exists in the siren onboard the bike though.  The battery that really needs replaced a lot is the one used in the first generation pager systems.  Those things don't last any time at all.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »

oops, now I get it.  Didn't even know there was a 9 volt on board the bike nor where it is hiding.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

You guys are a riot,

Ray G.

The dating on a new battery is pretty far out, so I usually carry a spare on the bike and then when I need it I have it.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.