Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: removed lowers today  (Read 7679 times)

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
removed lowers today
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »

To hot in Florida for the summer,removed lowers much cooler,sucks I had to take off the speakers but until my new amp gets in no need,also another plus speaker grills will not fade any more

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

Re: removed lowers today
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »

faded speaker grills

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

other side,much cooler on the legs now

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »

I like it.  Nice and clean looking.

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »

Let me tell you, that bike looks SWEET with the 2 into 1 exhaust and no lowers. How does the radio sound without the lower speakers?

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »

I think it looks better without.  Can you remove the speaker grills & get them powder coated while they are off?

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »

Where in Florida?
Perhaps I should do the same for my  FLTRUSE. I do not have speakers down there so it should be even easier.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »

Where in Florida?
Perhaps I should do the same for my  FLTRUSE. I do not have speakers down there so it should be even easier.

Darth,

He's in the Panhandle I think. I removed mine about a month ago. Much better, but lots more wind/buffeting if that matters. I'll take the wind over the heat myself. Just got back from Ribfest riding 80+ for most of each ride and it was fine.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »

Darth,

He's in the Panhandle I think. I removed mine about a month ago. Much better, but lots more wind/buffeting if that matters. I'll take the wind over the heat myself. Just got back from Ribfest riding 80+ for most of each ride and it was fine.
Thanks Rob. Well I had a FLTRX before this CVO and no lowers, so you know we get spoiled. I'll see if my engine can take the heat, if not I'll take 'em off for the summer.

Thanks!

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »

So the vents in the lowers will allow you to put them on earlier in the fall and take them off later in the spring but even vented, it is too Hot to leave on in the summer? Interesting. I wish we had that problem in Michigan!

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »

Live in Pensacola,have K&N a/c D&D fat cat and TTS with awesome tune but lowers restricting to much air when hot out and yellowed up heat shield even enriched it up with TTS,no problems now with out them on was 92 here over the weekend and up to 95 today so much nicer on the legs and the bike with them off.Stereo sounds about the same just as not as loud,but waiting on new amp amp and speaker grills since faded,Only time it is out of the garage is when riding and no rain here in the last 2 months so been riding everyday:) so weird that the covers have faded already,my friend has the same bike and the same problem funny.must be the Florida heat.I would advise to take the lowers off if aftermarket pipe and TTs or your back pipe heat sheild may do the same only just now happened on hot day.just heads up.I should of listen to my tuner and took them off sooner

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »

faded speaker grills

speaker grills that fade during the original model year is rediculous.
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

Are the speaker grills fading on both sides, or predominately on the right where the engine heat is more intense?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »

IMO, removing the lowers will have little impact on the cooling of the engine when it needs it most...sitting in traffic...and no impact when moving along at a reasonable speed.  Now the effect on the rider comfort may be a different story, when moving.  There is plenty of air coming through the vented lowers when moving down the road...to cool the engine as much as it can be cooled given the ambient temperature.  No doubt that the lowers block some air from hitting the driver's legs.

Go sit under the hood of your car one day and see how cool it is.  We're all sitting with our most tender body parts inches away from a good sized heater, not to mention the exhaust temps.  It's hot.  Even a water cooled Vrod, though the exhaust doesn't have the same effect because of loaction, is hot in the summer...if you don't believe me, get on one and have the radiator fan come on and blow that hot air back and up in your face when it's 95 degrees and 80% humugity, like it gets here in Birmingham, AL.  It's hard to breathe, the air's so hot.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »

IMO, removing the lowers will have little impact on the cooling of the engine when it needs it most...sitting in traffic...and no impact when moving along at a reasonable speed.  Now the effect on the rider comfort may be a different story, when moving.  There is plenty of air coming through the vented lowers when moving down the road...to cool the engine as much as it can be cooled given the ambient temperature.  No doubt that the lowers block some air from hitting the driver's legs.

Go sit under the hood of your car one day and see how cool it is.  We're all sitting with our most tender body parts inches away from a good sized heater, not to mention the exhaust temps.  It's hot.  Even a water cooled Vrod, though the exhaust doesn't have the same effect because of loaction, is hot in the summer...if you don't believe me, get on one and have the radiator fan come on and blow that hot air back and up in your face when it's 95 degrees and 80% humugity, like it gets here in Birmingham, AL.  It's hard to breathe, the air's so hot.

Terry, I understand what you are saying but it is different. You live in the same climate I do. Give it a try, then you will know and won't have to speculate.
I have owned a 2007 and 2009 CVO (both Ultras). When I bought my 2010 standard Ultra and converted it to a 103, I started noticing the higher temps.
My 2007 and 2009 were hot, but not NEAR as hot as my 2010 and this Ultra RG. I put 15k on each of those each year. Not a ton of miles but enough
to know what I feel is a major difference in heat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.