Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE 255 Cams/Xied , Story  (Read 8826 times)

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
SE 255 Cams/Xied , Story
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

this is my setup,,I have a 09 Ultra with a 96"motor, SE Fatshotz Mufflers and the New Boyesen High Flow A/C,,,I had my Dealer install SE 255 Cams in the 96" also he put the Download for the 103 SE Stage II Kit in my 96" .. The Bike ran a He!! of a lot better but ran a little warm or Hot... Then I had the Xieds instaled by American at Large Motorcycle Shop in Carrollton,KY ... This cooled the bike down and it runs Better Than it Ever Did ...All I can say is if you want to install  Cams and don't want to add the Cost of a PCV or TTS and a Dyno Tune this might be the way to go....Im Very Happy with the way my bike runs..It's smooth has lots of Power with no poping on decel....

Let me add this,, American at Large does a lot of Motor work on Harleys they also have a Dyno for Tunning ,,After they installed the Xieds the Owner took my Ultra for a test ride when he returned I asked him if a Dyno Tune would help my bike ??? His answer was ,,,,Your bike runs strong very strong,, It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike,, for what little more you would get, it's just not worth the cost,,, I hope this helps anyone trying to decide on Xieds or even a Cam change..

My goal was to have a good runing "TROUBLE FREE" bike FROM 0-80 MPH (it will run pass 80 easy)..And so far its working ,, It's a blast to Ride in the Hills of Kentucky!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SE 255 Cams/Xied , Story
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »

You don't mention what the fuel economy before/after was with the Xied kit installed.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »

It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike

Really :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

Just sayin

Big Dave

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »

Sounds like this works well for some of you.  Any idea on the fule economy or is it really not that noticable.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »

georgew221, what is an xied kit? Also did putting in the 255 cams have any effect on your  valve train noise? Thanks CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »

For those wondering, XIEDs are resisters that plug in line between the 2 O2 sensors and the ECM to send a false signal in closed loop to enrich the air/fuel ratio. The resulting change is cooler running and a neglegible impact on MPG (at least mine). My 07 gets 42 MPG no matter how I drive it.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

jeff mckinney

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »

It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike

Really :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

Just sayin

Big Dave
Guess you missed the part where he doesn't have any kind of tuner on his bike.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »

Guess you missed the part where he doesn't have any kind of tuner on his bike.
No
Sure did not.
I know what these things are.
I just believe getting a good tune WITH A TUNER is way better.
It's more then AFR you must worry about.
There is Timing, VE, AFR, throttle progression, rev limiter, and many more things to be adjusted on these bikes to make them run at there best.
That's what I was saying.
Didn't miss a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big Dave

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »

a tuner is 4 to 5 hundred

a tune is 3 to 4 hundred, or more

if it works fine thats a lot of cash to spend to gain a hp or two

for that much cash i want 20 hp

to

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »

a tuner is 4 to 5 hundred

a tune is 3 to 4 hundred, or more

if it works fine thats a lot of cash to spend to gain a hp or two

for that much cash i want 20 hp

to

Really.
I always get a kick out of a response like that.
You just spent 30 to 40 grand, or more, on a motorcycle, and your worried about 500 bucks for a tuner to help it run better.
Are you f*&*in kidding me.
And its not just about horsepower!
We all want are bikes to run great, since MOCO cant do that, we are forced to ourselves.
Just sayin
Big Dave

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

After tuning my bikes many times with twinScan,Wego, SERT, and now TTS, I am amazed how complicated a HD fuel injection system really is. Even using one map I have seen major changes happen from slight adjustments to almost any of the tables. I have an 09 stage II 103 and I think it's finally dialed in about right, thanks to many on here who have given me advice and helped me understand the system at a basic level. The difference after making the right changes was amazing. I can't picture a 96 with a 255 cam, a resistor on an O2 circuit, and a map designed for a 103 motor being anywhere near close. Nothing personal, but I hope you bought the extended warrenty.

jb

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »

five years ago - true - we all had more bux and a grand just did not seem like as much as a grand does today

but today - every dime counts - somebody wants to sell me magic for a grand it had better be magic - 2 hp isnt magic

my 07 i searched out the best deal i could find - got if for quite a bit under msrp with esp thrown in they were desperate for sales

its paid for

my 04 sidecar i found at a dealer still in the crate in 06 they wanted it gone, bad - paid 65 percent of list

its paid for - and i have a hell of a lot less than 25 in the pair.

im a CHEAP sob - i got my 79 sportster in middle of the winter of 78 - everybody hated the pipes [remember those odd balls] and the color so i got it real cheap and rode it a hundred thousand miles & sold it on the third engine rebuild for about 75% of what i paid for it.

my personal experience is that hopped up engines dont last very long - so it had better be lots of performance for not much bux to be worth the shorter life.

what is really really useful about this site is the info on what works and what does not work - 255 cams in a 96 with good power and a 103 stage ii download - thats a big bang for the bux. giant engine with a non welded crank does not work - thats really good to know. change the lifters and cam bearings when ever its apart is good info...

i really watch info on: alternator, primary, gearing, belts, bearings that fail - stuff that if we know what is going on we can save a LOT of cost repair costs.

life is way more expensive and pay is way harder to come by. i plan on riding a long time - and that means big bang for the bux - or no sale.

to

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this thread because I think it is pertinent to today's economic times.

I've been riding since I was 14, am 61 now.  Owned everything except a Cushman.  First Harley was an 07 Ultra, then an 09 Ultra. 

On the 07, original owner put on rinehart true duals, I added a ThunderMax and the tuning saga started.

On the 09 Ultra, I had the dealer put in the factory stage II 103 with SE 255 cams and factory download, kept the stock mufflers and cat-less headpipe..  Later I bought the TTS (black) and v-tuned and v-tuned.  It was fun.  Finally went to a tuner and paid the $400 for a dyno.  Increased the TQ across the board (dyno sheet:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/df04g4qfucapcr3/09%20Ultra%20Dyno%20Final.jpg ).  Bike ran fine and pulled well down low, my style of riding.  Eventually replaced the compensator once under warranty, and once on my nickle.  I also replace the lifters once on my nickle.

On the 13 Road Glide Ultra, I first put in xied's and was quite happy for the first summer and 8,000 miles or so, but I got the bug.  Wanted to do cams, so I bought Ness Bicg Sucker, Cobra Power Port Headers, 57H cams, and Chevy small block lifters, V&H twin slash ovals. Did all the work myself, lots of fun.  Again the TTS (Blue) and the fun began.  Lots of fun, lots of power, just a little higher in the power band, but not much.  Eventually, I had it Dynoed ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndy9czrqczohuge/13%20rgu%20final.jpg)   Lots of fun to drive.

Interesting fact, a good tuner (Ed is one of the best) got me just under 9 more horsepower and just under 8 more ft lbs of Torque from what I did with the TTS and Flight Recorder/V-Tune.

Now I'm riding a 2012 CVO SG.  I just put in a K&N element, and have Cobra Power Port Headers on the way.  Xied is all Im gonna do.  Why?  Best bang for the buck.  My seat of the pants dyno can feel the switch from a 96 to a 103, and from a stock 103 to a cammed and dynoed 103, but the 110 with xied's is already all I really want, and I can buy lots of gas with the $900 or so I'd spend on a tuner and a tune.  If I ultimately decide to get it tuned, I'll go with a Direct Link/Ed Dahir and pay about $550 for tuner and tune (http://www.thedynodifference.com).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:24:26 PM by r0de_runr »
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »

Like putting lipstick on a pig.
What ever floats yer boat.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »

Like putting lipstick on a pig.
What ever floats yer boat.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.