Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Quiet top end  (Read 8413 times)

remington007

Re: Quiet top end
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »

Not all 96 inchers are quiet!! My 09 FL was noisey from day one, stock cams. 5th gear is horrible and shock proof heavy does not fix that. Its funny ive ridden stock old evo baggers with over 70k on them, quiet as can be. Engine, tranny and primary all silent!!!

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

I believe that if you change the lifters and pushrods you could quiet the ticking and clattering down. I really wanted to change just the push rods but I figured I may as well change the lifters too. Then I started thinking I should probably do cams and bearings and then..........wtf.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »

I believe that if you change the lifters and pushrods you could quiet the ticking and clattering down. I really wanted to change just the push rods but I figured I may as well change the lifters too. Then I started thinking I should probably do cams and bearings and then..........wtf.

Then it turns in to " while we're here, let's do....."

Jim Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »

Have been running Motul - Syn-Twin 20/50 synthetic blend for the last 25,000 miles in my 08 CVO Ultra. It is a synthetic blend.

Top end valve train sounds significantly less noisy for about the first 3,500 to 4,000 miles, then [I assume] starts to lose a bit of the viscosity and the valve train sounds begin to creep back in and become more noticeable.

Around then I tend to swap out the oil again and significant sound reduction occurs once more.

I found it possible to get a deal on the stuff when buying by the case from an off-brand bike dealership [have never found a Harley dealer who carries it].

Tried Motul Severe Duty transmission fluid [75/90 if I remember] and the tranny is quieter and shifts like butter - but at $22 each I pucker a little bit when I make the purchase.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »

Mine was making some noise and a wise friend of mine, who has ridden Harleys forever, said if I were to put louder pipes on it I wouldn't hear all that noise and not have to worry about it. Something to ponder...

remington007

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »

CompCams 875-1 Lifters, Made in USA travel limited forged steel body, Jegs $14
Smiths push rods or SE 18404-08
How would you set the pushrods with these lifters seeing they have travel limiters??  I tried jims lifters with travel limiters and they are very noisey!!

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »

Hey, cahdbiker were you serious about living in Winnipeg at one time.......thats home for me........cool small world.

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »

Bubtrama, Yea I used to live in Fort Gary on Farwell Bay. I think my house number was 78 I did a google earth on it a few months ago and the elementary school is still there along with the ice rinks(no ice because picture was taken in summer). but the area south of where I lived  which used to be all farmland looks pretty industrial now. My family left in 1963 missed the hockey for a few years. I was 10 years old at the time. Once you live in SO Cal you can never go back.  CAHDBIKER

Hey, cahdbiker were you serious about living in Winnipeg at one time.......thats home for me........cool small world.

Bub

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 04:46:32 PM »

Yer not going to believe this but I lived on Clarence Ave and went to Ralph Maybank School till grade Six.......Wow, I am now 55.

My brother now lives in the same house. Thats COOOOOOL

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

bubtrama, I also went to Ralph Maybanks School until the beginning of 6th grade we left late Sept. or early Oct of 1963. Good area to grow up in at the time. I learned to drive a stick shift in that area when I was 8 or 9 we had a 1949 Mercury Pickup. Thanks for the comment.CAHDBIKER

Yer not going to believe this but I lived on Clarence Ave and went to Ralph Maybank School till grade Six.......Wow, I am now 55.

My brother now lives in the same house. Thats COOOOOOL

Bub

flyer

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:57 AM »

Hi all, I am looking at quieting my top end also.  There is a thread on one of the forums I ran into some time ago that caught my interest.  It involved shimming the rocker arm side clearance to something like .004. Don't quote me on that.  The poster claimed that it quieted his motor and he got shims from J&P that were for some other application.  Sorry for the vague comments but just wanted to let you know the infor is out there.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »

IME the result is underwhelming nonetheless helps a little

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

Still looking for an answer
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »

Hi to everyone. I was just wondering if there is anyone on the site with an 09SEUC that has made any changes without getting into the cam chest, removing the rockerbox covers or doing any major work  that made the top end quiet between 2200-2800 rpms.I have the Fulsac stage one kit with 1.75 baffles and open air cleaner, stock head pipe without cat.The engine runs great, oil comsumption is absolute minimum based on what I have read on the site. I know what piston slap is so I don't think that is an issue. My local HD tech said that changing to the tapered adustable pushrods, again there is the word, MIGHT CURE IT,  He also said that putting in the billet cam plate and getting more oil pressure ,MIGHT CURE IT, but then I have read posts from the guys who are really well versed in this subject that increasing the oils pressure will put too much tension on the cam chain. I am OKAY with riding it the way it is, but If I could get the top end quieter that would a big  plus. Just looking for some info before I go to my engine builder, Bennet's Performance, Long Beach Ca. If he can't guarantee a fix I will just live with it.   I know I have posted about this before, but I just need some more feedback.Just for the record at idle it is absolutely quiet, hot or cold. Other than that issue I am satisfied with my bike overall. After I take my bike to Eric at Bennett's I will make a post regarding his comments and if I have any work done.   CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:41:41 PM by cahdbiker »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Still looking for an answer
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »

Hi to everyone. I was just wondering if there is anyone on the site with an 09SEUC that has made any changes without getting into the cam chest, removing the rockerbox covers or doing any major work  that made the top end quiet between 2200-2800 rpms.I have the Fulsac stage one kit with 1.75 baffles and open air cleaner, stock head pipe without cat.The engine runs great, oil comsumption is absolute minimum based on what I have read on the site. I know what piston slap is so I don't think that is an issue. My local HD tech said that changing to the tapered adustable pushrods, again there is the word, MIGHT CURE IT,  He also said that putting in the billet cam plate and getting more oil pressure ,MIGHT CURE IT, but then I have read posts from the guys who are really well versed in this subject that increasing the oils pressure will put too much tension on the cam chain. I am OKAY with riding it the way it is, but If I could get the top end quieter that would a big  plus. Just looking for some info before I go to my engine builder, Bennet's Performance, Long Beach Ca. If he can't guarantee a fix I will just live with it.   I know I have posted about this before, but I just need some more feedback.Just for the record at idle it is absolutely quiet, hot or cold. Other than that issue I am satisfied with my bike overall. CAHDBIKER

I put this reply up once before  ----

Had that same EXACT rattle that I have been trying to get the MOCO to take care of. Has been there for over one year. After having to three different dealers about this problem, I finally dtropped off at dealer in September and left bike so they could hear noise ( worse when engine cold at start up), they had MOCO rep look at it also. The MOCO finally agreed to have top end torn down. They found the piston clearance was at maximum specs. MOCO gave them authorization to bore .010 oversize and do a "custom fit" on that clearance so they could put it to the low side of the specs. The dealer tried to get the MOCO to authorize a valve job at same time, but that was declined. My dealer stepped up to the plate for me and did the valves at no expense to me, as they felt there could be a problem there also, and did not want to take the chance of putting it back together without seating valves. That turned out to be a smart decision, as they found the valves were not seating in the heads properly and were creating a "click" when seating back down on the heads. The problem is that the MOCO had a 7 week back order on the pistons. I just got the bike back yesterday from a 9 week lay up in the shop. I rode about 100 miles yesterday  ------   that noise is eliminated!!  My dealer wanted to clearance the pistons themselves, so they could keep that clearance tight. They said on the assembly line there is to much chance of not keeping those critical tolerances tight on each and every set, and with the short skirted pistons, there seems to be many problems out there with piston slap. That must be why the long back order?? They tried to get a new set of jugs from the MOCO before they went to the final stages of boring, but the MOCO denied that one. Dealer wanted to be able to bore a new set of jugs for stock pistons, but had to do the .010 oversize instead.  They also stated that they thought the valve problem was most of the noise. Whatever the case is, the noise is gone, and now I can wait for the next problems to arise. They did the brake light switch recall, so that one is taken care of also. I did just contract with Legacy H.D. and extended the warranty for 5 more years after all this happened. If you have this same noise, take it in and MAKE them repair it. My dealer even stepped up to the plate and gave me a 2011 loaner for one weekend so I could do a charity ride , at no cost to me ( that bike did not have the noise, but it was a 103). Their service is superb. I can not say the same thing about the MOCO, as they like to fight you to the end.

ReplyQuoteNotify

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »

That turned out to be a smart decision, as they found the valves were not seating in the heads properly and were creating a "click" when seating back down on the heads

I have found new stock heads at .0022 -.0025 clearance on the valve stem to guide. The valves are big and heavy and can't seat properly with that much clearance IMHO, the valves move on the seat even with the best of concentric valve jobs.
The seals are on the second revision and will now take the slop it seems so at least they are not pulling oil down the stems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.