Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51671 times)

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

X2
Craig

Turkish

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »

Hey Riders,

A few months ago I purchased the blue 2012, love the bike! I traded in my 09 Electra Glide for it, which I purchased in Afghanistan. I am very interested in this thread becuase guess what it happened to me! Here is the story.

My best friend killed himself, and I am stationed in San Diego. Well he is from Arizona so the funeral was there. His wife wanted me to arrange the Patriot Guard Riders for his funeral which I did and I also joined them, great bunch of people. I drive 6 hours to Arizona (my buddy was on his slow honda and couldnt keep up so he slowed me down), did the ride for his funeral, and drove all the way back, and yes my saddlebags were on. Went to work the following Monday (didnt ride upon my return), rode all week long not once taking the bags off, becuase I go on base I always put things in my bags and prior to closing I alwasy check to make sure its connected properly. Well that Friday I am cruising around 80 and I heard a noise, looked back and saw my left saddlebag bouncing down the road. I couldnt believe it.

I let my dealer know and they were in shock, not sure if they believed me or not however they were doing everything they could do to help me out, they got in touch with Harley and I received the there is no way that the bag will fall off when it is properly installed. Now I beg to differ becuase I know it was properly installed. I am an honest person, and if it was my fault I would go in there, tell my story, be pissed off at myself, but I would drop the money to get a new bag however when it is not my fault I will fight tooth and nail for what is right. After the dealership told me this I called Harley, I told them the same story as above except I also told them I received a Bronze Star over there, and they said sorry but there is no way that it would fall off.

I am sorry but something needs to be done. I spoke with a guy named Dave, he would not let me talk to his boss but I think the head guys name is Bill. I am going to raise some hell on this now. I have read every post, people who this has happened to and others that find it hard to believe this has happened.

Riders I am telling you it is a legitimate problem, I dont know how it does it but I think it could be what people said on the previous page. My biggest concern is 1 how do I get a new bag at no cost to me and 2 what is Harley going to do about this wait until someone dies as a result of this before fixing it? I will post again once I get some type of a response from them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:35:41 PM by Turkish »

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 04:52:22 PM »

Hey Riders,

A few months ago I purchased the blue 2012, love the bike! I traded in my 09 Electra Glide for it, which I purchased in Afghanistan. I am very interested in this thread because guess what it happened to me! Here is the story.

My best friend killed himself, and I am stationed in San Diego. Well he is from Arizona so the funeral was there. His wife wanted me to arrange the Patriot Guard Riders for his funeral which I did and I also joined them, great bunch of people. I drive 6 hours to Arizona (my buddy was on his slow Honda and couldn't keep up so he slowed me down), did the ride for his funeral, and drove all the way back, and yes my saddlebags were on. Went to work the following Monday (didn't ride upon my return), rode all week long not once taking the bags off, because I go on base I always put things in my bags and prior to closing I always check to make sure its connected properly. Well that Friday I am cruising around 80 and I heard a noise, looked back and saw my left saddlebag bouncing down the road. I couldn't believe it.

I let my dealer know and they were in shock, not sure if they believed me or not however they were doing everything they could do to help me out, they got in touch with Harley and I received the there is no way that the bag will fall off when it is properly installed. Now I beg to differ because I know it was properly installed. I am an honest person, and if it was my fault I would go in there, tell my story, be pissed off at myself, but I would drop the money to get a new bag however when it is not my fault I will fight tooth and nail for what is right. After the dealership told me this I called Harley, I told them the same story as above except I also told them I received a Bronze Star over there, and they said sorry but there is no way that it would fall off.

I am sorry but something needs to be done. I spoke with a guy named Dave, he would not let me talk to his boss but I think the head guys name is Bill. I am going to raise some hell on this now. I have read every post, people who this has happened to and others that find it hard to believe this has happened.

Riders I am telling you it is a legitimate problem, I don't know how it does it but I think it could be what people said on the previous page. My biggest concern is 1 how do I get a new bag at no cost to me and 2 what is Harley going to do about this wait until someone dies as a result of this before fixing it? I will post again once I get some type of a response from them.

First of all, I a very sorry about your friend.  Also, thank you very much for your Service..I personally appreciate you very much.

I have the same bike as you do, even same color.  I have posted on this tread a bit, and was also sure that if the bag was attached properly there was no way for it to fall off period.  I was very sure about my theory.  However, I believe you.  Therefore my opinion has changed.  There must be a way, even though we don't know how, when the bags are on correctly, something can cause them to fall off.  It's impossible that so many people have suffered this.  Yes some of them might have been caused by human error.  But it's illogical that "all" of the bags came off due to human error.  I will be anxiously awaiting to here the outcome of your quest.  Thank you, Stan

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

Porschestan,

:pepper: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber:  Holy Cow....we actually have a convert :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pepper:  Welcome to the dark side brother.

Turkish,

Don't let the MoCo give you the "we never heard of this problem before" speech.  I lost my bag a year ago and spoke with multiple dealers that were all aware of the problem. Like you, I called MoCo customer service and got the same speech.  Then I mentioned how often I had read about this happening on the Harley Forums, and they softened their opposition.  Still, I had to threaten to go to the NHTSA before they agreed to pay for my bag.  Perhaps that is what you should do, better yet, maybe we should actually call the NHTSA!  Your a soldier (thanks by the way), go to War!!!!!

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »

Porschestan,

:pepper: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber:  Holy Cow....we actually have a convert :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pepper:  Welcome to the dark side brother.

Turkish,

Don't let the MoCo give you the "we never heard of this problem before" speech.  I lost my bag a year ago and spoke with multiple dealers that were all aware of the problem. Like you, I called MoCo customer service and got the same speech.  Then I mentioned how often I had read about this happening on the Harley Forums, and they softened their opposition.  Still, I had to threaten to go to the NHTSA before they agreed to pay for my bag.  Perhaps that is what you should do, better yet, maybe we should actually call the NHTSA!  Your a soldier (thanks by the way), go to War!!!!!

Yes I am a convert...you win!

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »

I have been a believer from day one that the bags can come off and DO come off.  It really doesn't matter whose fault it is, IMHO.

For a 5 dollar bill you can buy a bundle of zip ties and use 2 at a time to make sure "no body gets killed" and "you don't have to buy a very expensive replacement".   Cut them off when you want to take the bags off.   Simple solution to the problem.   I have used them from day one and NOBODY has ever noticed them, ever.

Yeah I know that HD should do something, but that is after the fact.   Be proactive, Be safe, Be happy.  :bananarock:

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »

X2 on the zip ties.  Secure and practically invisible.

Yes I am a convert...you win!

We will all win when the MoCo admits that there might be a problem with the design.  However I am smart enough to not be holding my breath for that day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »

I agree that the zip tie idea is a good way to be proactive about temporarily solving the problem.  But ultimately the MoCo needs to stop claiming ignorance and innocence and just admit there is something not quite right in the design or the execution of the design.  So yes it's a great idea to help yourself by using ties for now, but I wouldn't drop the issue and just resign myself to having to do that for as long as I owned the bike.  Btw, using zip ties that have to be cut off and replaced each time you remove the bag kind of defeats the quick release nature of the design.  See if you can find some of those reuseable zip ties that have a little release lever molded into the catch.

As for the ignorance and innocence thing, never forget that Harley has a long history of claiming no knowledge of widespread problems and blaming the customers for anything and everything.  Sometimes they get away with the subterfuge, but sometimes when enough people raise hell they are forced to take action.  Kind of like when they spent the first full year of 110 engine production refusing to admit or address the many problems of that product.  Halfway through the '08 model year they made changes in production and launched a big upgrade program for the older bikes to fix some of the concerns.  So don't just give up, give 'em hell!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Robin

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »

Just another story of my saddle bag falling off.  I was doing 70 mph on I-90 while out at Sturgis this year when the bag left my 2012 bike.   I don't know if it was user error or not.  I do know it's dangerous either way because it could have caused an accident on the freeway.  If it is user error with this many people than MoCo needed to educate us better on the correct technique.   Didn't they leave the bags off on the 2013 model?

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

there is no 13 model.  It is a completely different bike.  No windshield, sissy bar, bags, etc. 

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

Mine fell off once.. I took it in to have a new rear tire installed and they either forgot to secure them or they didn't know how... I never went back to that H-D Shop again  :-X
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Turkish

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

Hey everyone, I appreciate the posts on thise thread and all the thank you's after mine. It is appreciated and it means alot coming from you all.

Been an extremly busy week but more to come, and I will do the zip tie fix once I get a new bag after I kick Harley in the nads! I should start something on Friday as I am off work that day. I wish I would have known about this problem before.

Oh 1 last thing, the 2013 model Breakout does not have bags and comes with an ugly paint job (sorry not a big fan).

Hmm the next fight after the bags is going to be either the read pegs that keep coming down (got a fix for that already) or with garmin and why the media player doesnt work half the time. I figure you pay 30k for a bike everything should be pristine. No matter what I still love the thing!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »

i still think that bags fallen off is human error  my latch knob inside my bag is tight when you put your bag back on the bike and turn that knob it must spring back into lock position if you can still turn it back to unlock postion with out pulling it inwards then the bag wasn't properly latched  to began with hence it will fall off 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

i still think that bags fallen off is human error  my latch knob inside my bag is tight when you put your bag back on the bike and turn that knob it must spring back into lock position if you can still turn it back to unlock postion with out pulling it inwards then the bag wasn't properly latched  to began with hence it will fall off 
:o :nervous: Here we go again!

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »

:beatdeadhorse:

Its kind of like Religion; to those that believe no proof is necessary, and to those that don't believe no proof will ever be enough.

JB
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 22 queries.