Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Excessive Pitting Primary Chain 2010 SEUC  (Read 3548 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Excessive Pitting Primary Chain 2010 SEUC
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

I just took BLUU my 2010 SEUC into Harley to have the 30K done and they ended up going into my Primary because my shifter shaft seal was leaking. While in there they inspected my primary chain and noticed I have excessive pitting on the rollers. I asked them what caused all the pitting and they stated its the Redline that I'm using. Anyone else experience excessive pitting on there Primary Chain with 31,000 miles? I can't believe it's the Redline but I need some tech feedback on this.DB
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Excessive Pitting Primary Chain 2010 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »

I just took BLUU my 2010 SEUC into Harley to have the 30K done and they ended up going into my Primary because my shifter shaft seal was leaking. While in there they inspected my primary chain and noticed I have excessive pitting on the rollers. I asked them what caused all the pitting and they stated its the Redline that I'm using. Anyone else experience excessive pitting on there Primary Chain with 31,000 miles? I can't believe it's the Redline but I need some tech feedback on this.DB

Sounds like some more of that never ending Harley dealership BS we all know and love.  Blame the customer, blame the customer's modifications, blame the non-Harley parts or lubricants, blame the full moon, always shoot from the hip (lip), but by all means blame something other than themselves or the MoCo.   

Contact the folks at Redline and see what they have to say about that allegation.  I'm tending to doubt they put stuff in their gear oil that attacks steel.  I'd be more inclined to believe it's something to do with the source and quality of the chain.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »

Jerry,
        That is exactly my feelings about this situation and I truly believe it is the metals that are probably not DFAR compliant and shipped directly from China where the leather comes from because the Moco gets a gonga deal.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »

Unfrigginbelievable.

The burden of proof that Redline caused the chain to become pitted is on THEM.  I think this one takes the cake for HD BS.

I would bet my bike that Redline at least meets, and probably exceeds the requirements for primary oil, compared to any product HD sells with their brand name.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »

The chain is being replaced under warranty. That part of the deal I'm pleased with but to blame it on the Redline I am having a hard time swallowing that. I just hope the new chain coming has better metals properties but my expectations have been smashed to many times before from the Moco.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

The M Tech asked me how long I had the primary fluid in the primary and I told him abour 3000 miles. He stated to me the fluid looked black and dirty. They just keep beating me up about this Redline Primary Fluid.  >:(

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »

Primary fluid is always dark and dirty as we have a wet clutch!  I could see a problem if it smelled burnt...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »

The M Tech also showed me my primary chain and boy I was surprised to see the deep pitting on the rollers. The pitting was all the way around.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »

They just keep beating me up about this Redline Primary Fluid.  >:(

If he's telling you something stupid repeatedly tell him once he's being stupid (and why) then tell him to shut the hell up and spend his time fixing the bike.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »

If the chain's all torn up, how about the gears?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »

Said its only the chain that has the excess pitting. Everything else looked good. Or at least that's what they are telling me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »

Said its only the chain that has the excess pitting. Everything else looked good. Or at least that's what they are telling me.

Funny isn't it.  All the other steel parts that are bathed by that same Redline Manual Transmission Lubricant show no signs of pitting, but the chain pitting is caused by the Redline.  And people wonder why I say the stuff I do about the morons and lying azzholes at the typical Harley dealership. 

Oh btw, any leather dressing on your seat other than the official Harley dressing will in fact cause hemorrhoids.  Trust me, I got the inside scoop from the local Harley shop so it must be true.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

That's funny Jerry!! I can hear them telling me that same BS about my seat also!! I think they are programed to talk stupid!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

This isn't your first run-in with that BS.  Still using the same dealer that told you your choice of oil was causing your motor problems?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65988.msg924064#msg924064

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=58744.0

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »

Yea here in Tucson we are a 1 dealer town. If I was in Phoenix I would have changed dealers probabably a couple of times.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »

With the past history of this dealer, and the responses of the regional rep on your last issue, I'm pretty certain that I would have communicated with some folks at Redline, at least to make them aware of the fact that their products were being held responsible for those issues, and now this one.  Don't know if they'd want to do anything about it, but if it were me, I'd sure let them know.  Funny how none of the other components exposed to the same fluid show evidence of pitting or abnormal wear.  Primary fluid always appears nasty when drained.

Though my dealer, of course, recommends HD products first, they also sell Redline Shockproof for the transmission, and actually recommend it.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »

We have a new service manager at Tucson Harley and he is Pro Amsoil and also likes Redline products. As a matter of fact they are now selling Amsoil at the dealer now. Its the techs in back that are pro-harley and don't think outside the box when it comes to different fluids. They were trained/brain washed that way and that's there belief.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.