Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil Consumption  (Read 10677 times)

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Re: Oil Consumption
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

Huh..

so what I'm reading is change oil every 2500 mi. Check. Use SYN3 so no problems with HD. AMSOIL is good for extended use and this never comes into play. Butt...the graphs..

Glad I hadn't bought my oil yet!

Consensus then?

Angry Pirate: I believe it was me who skewered the topic. Like a pirate attacking a weaker sailor in terms of skewered.. Arrrggghhhh.. A Pirate over 40 is I. :)
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »

Angry Pirate,
The difference between my situation and the original poster's was about 1500 miles per quart.
I was simply pointing out that his 1 quart per 2500 miles will not get him anyplace but frustrated!

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »

Bought my oil, SYN3 HD oil, got another chrome filter (3 quarts for my 110). Got the O ring kit and also got transmission oil, all from HD.

Kaching! 96 bucks. I will be changing the oil in a few days time and greasing the springer.

My car is a Mustang GT with a 4.6 Litrel, My synthetic oil change is about 55 bucks total (no tranny oil). 
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

Angry Pirate...if you read the Amsoil document, it is comaparing HD Syn3, NOT the "Old" Screamin' Eagle oil.  Nowhere in my ESP does it state that I must use HD products, or get my bike serviced by a HD dealership.  The HD 2 year warranty does not specify that either.  If you purchase a HD Service Plan, they put HD products in your bike.  Syn 3 does not have a "magic ingrediant" making it superior to other synthetic oil.  In the crankcase, you could use any 20W50 motor oil, including synthetics...synthetics are more resistant to high temperatures, so IMO, they are a better choice.  In the primary, you need to use a motor oil designed for use with a wet clutch...or you can use Automatic Transmission Fluid, as some people do.  My HD dealer actually recommendsusing Redline Shockproof in the transmission, as it is their experience that it performs better than running regular motor oil, including Syn 3.

The bottom line is that NO vehicle manufacturer can specify which products to use when servicing your vehicle, as long as it meets the specifications required.  If they do specify, they are legally required to provide the product free of charge.

It really isn't necessary to change oil every 2500 miles either.  That is a holdover from back when motor oil was not what it is today.  It doesn't HURT anything to do so, of course, but it is just wasting product.   The only time it might be necessary to change more frequently than 5K is if you ride on dirt roads, stop and go traffic the majority of the time, or travel very short distances the majority of the time (the motor oil never gets up to operating temps).
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »

Well said Midnight Rider!

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »

I really think that you are getting too hung up on what you are being told by your parts suplier or Amsoil dealer.  If you you use Syn3 and change your oil at the MoCo recomended intervals you will spend less money and engine will last just as long.  I have the 7 year HD extended service plan.  I don't have access to the paperwork as I am floating on a U.S. warship in the Middle East but I can tell you that I was told to use HD oil and filter and SAVE RECIEPTS when doing my own servicing.  I am also not interested in arguing with a service department over warrenty claims.  I know several guys that have been running HD oil and filters for long periods and high milage and have had no problems.

I know Amsoil is a superior product.  I also know that Redline is the best tranny fluid.....I used to race a Honda 954RR.  I have also been told not to use Amsoil in the tranny, by the way.  Specificly for the wet clutch.

Use what you want and feel good about paying more for it.  My bike is at 20,000 miles and does not burn oil.  See you at 50,000 miles.  I bought my springer February 2009.  Either February 2016 or after I change cams and do headwork I will run non HD fluids.  Because at that point warrenty is off the table.  However, if you think about it.  Buy 7 year extended warrenty; run "no magical propperties" HD oil for 4 years; save recipts; motor breaks down; get a new one or free rebuild.  Think about it. 

Again as I have said before.  I use Amsoil in my Duramax Diesel.  Because it lasts longer between oil changes.  I am not going to extend the time between services on my springer.  I am also not in a habit of throwing money into the trash can.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »

Using HD Syn 3 certainly does not save any money over use of other brands...in fact, it usually costs more.  There really is no need in reading your ESP contract...it does NOT say to use only HD products.  It does require you to show proof if you perform the services yourself, but that is a no-brainer.  Nobody is saying that Syn 3 is a horrible product, only that there are products equal to, or better than it.  HD is not going to test other products against theirs for a number of reasons.

BTW...I notice in your signature line that you have aftermarket exhaust and a PCV with Autotune.  If HD or your ESP decides to attempt to deny warranty coverage for a major engine failure, they are MUCH more likely to do so because of those two items than over what brand of oil you use.  I'd be a lot more concerned about the use of the PCV with regards to any warranty.  That is especially true if your dealer did not install both products.  Even if they did, another dealer may notify the MOCO and the ESP provider and warranty coverage be denied.  The ESP is administered by a third party...NOT HD.  It's an insurance policy, not a factory warranty.  HD reps do not make the final decision regarding what is covered and what is not.  The same is true with any ESP you purchase with a car and most any other item.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »

Using HD Syn 3 certainly does not save any money over use of other brands...in fact, it usually costs more.  There really is no need in reading your ESP contract...it does NOT say to use only HD products.  It does require you to show proof if you perform the services yourself, but that is a no-brainer.  Nobody is saying that Syn 3 is a horrible product, only that there are products equal to, or better than it.  HD is not going to test other products against theirs for a number of reasons.

BTW...I notice in your signature line that you have aftermarket exhaust and a PCV with Autotune.  If HD or your ESP decides to attempt to deny warranty coverage for a major engine failure, they are MUCH more likely to do so because of those two items than over what brand of oil you use.  I'd be a lot more concerned about the use of the PCV with regards to any warranty.  That is especially true if your dealer did not install both products.  Even if they did, another dealer may notify the MOCO and the ESP provider and warranty coverage be denied.  The ESP is administered by a third party...NOT HD.  It's an insurance policy, not a factory warranty.  HD reps do not make the final decision regarding what is covered and what is not.  The same is true with any ESP you purchase with a car and most any other item.

I do my own wrenching, and that is why the stock exhaust is not in the trash.  PCV simply unplugs.  Could the dealership remember that I had other exhaust on there?  Sure.  I am cautious, not afraid.  There is a difference.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

tjp

• 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

I will not totally call out  :jack: ; as some good info.

Anyhow I finally found time to clean up the bike, unpack, etc. from Laughlin and tested my oil level.  Before the trip I added oil so that it was about 1/4" above the add line doing a cold check.  After 900 miles of ridding it is about 1/8" above the add line doing a cold check. 

I may have not done a proper check last go around...or maybe my bike is a late breaker inner!

I'll continue to monitor my oil and mileage and report back.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.