Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Wheeldock E-Z Up Stand  (Read 17342 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Wheeldock E-Z Up Stand
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »

Went to look at the Rivco stand but nothing for stock height in my year. I'd be a bit concerned about running the threads out too long but maybe they have other longer adapters to install. Maybe I wasn't looking in the correct area of the website but pretty sure I was. Nice looking stands though.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »

Went to look at the Rivco stand but nothing for stock height in my year. I'd be a bit concerned about running the threads out too long but maybe they have other longer adapters to install. Maybe I wasn't looking in the correct area of the website but pretty sure I was. Nice looking stands though.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=622&cat=220&page=1

The same stand fits stock height and lowered bikes.  BTW, I don't think you need to worry about running the threaded legs out too far.  For a lowered bike they recommend only a couple threads out, and for a standard height bike between 1/2" and  3/4".  The legs are plenty strong and long enough to easily handle that and more.  If you have questions, give them a call. 

The design has changed for the '09 and later bikes compared to what I have, but other than the way it mounts to the frame it's very similar.  The plating has been excellent (much better than the chrome Harley put on the bike) and I've had no issues with mine.  As I mentioned before, it does take significantly more effort than something like the EZ-up, but for those who rode Japanese bikes for decades the center stand will seem very familiar, and similar to what came standard on those bikes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

Dang grc, I wonder if I can return my EZ? That does sound like the positive engagement I'm used to plus some adjustability. Think I'd like to put jam nuts on there as a back up. My EZ hasn't made it to the house, I guess I better ask about restocking fees and return. Shoulda searched other sources better and thanks for the heads up.
2007 Softail Custom

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »

I have had the Wheeldock centerstand on my 90 SERG for a long time.  Have always loved how easy it was and how well it worked.  Just put Progressive 940's on rear.  Now the stand doesn't reach the ground to be stable.
My center stand is on it's second bike. But on my 2012 I changed the wheels to 18" rear and 19" front and it wouldn't touch. rather than buy another stand I added some 3/16 pieces to the bottom of my legs and welded them and fresh coat of paint and it's good as new. My stand is rock solid and saved me buying another stand. Works perfectly now.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

Finally got off my butt and called Rod about his ez center stand. Think I'll stay with his and at least check it out. I need to figure out why everyone is changing over to the Progressive 940's vs staying with the factory air shocks. If it's a valving issue then I can accept that and move on. But if it's because air shocks are a hastle to deal with then I can adapt and roll another year or two with them. That means the EZ center will be just fine but I'll still evaluate it no matter what. I don't mind having to use more force to lift the bike as is needed with the Rivco so it's a toss up at this point. Welding a thicker shoe on the E-Z is a good fix but so is cutting and installing a 5/8" pin and tubing then welding it back up again. Guess it comes down to modding a new piece of equipment vs sending it back to purchase something that is designed to do the task right outta the box.

Good ideas to think about Gents and thanks for your comments.
2007 Softail Custom

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

It's not that everyone is changing to 940's.  They are very good shocks, but there are other very good shocks too.  From my understanding, the 940's have a spring on them that allows the shock, when a rider gets on the bike, to act like a 1" shorter shock...when sitting on the side stand, it's more or less the normal 13" height.  The stock air shocks are pieces of chit in comparison to just about anything.  The front fork suspension is as well.  The front forks are like driving a '68 Buick with worn out shocks...mushy, extreme diving when applying front brakes, very poor response to the road surface.  The stock air shocks are not that much of a hassle to adjust, but all the air in them is doing is adjusting the preload so they won't bottom out with a load on them.  The actual performance of the shock is just piss poor.  But, 90% of HD riders don't know any different, because they've never ridden a HD that has good suspension under it for comparison.  You don't miss what you don't know about.  Without fail, every single person I know that has upgraded their suspension says it is one of the best things they've ever spent money on...there is a night and day difference.

I'm not knocking any brand of centerstand.  But, if a person designs a stand around the excessive Sag built into stock HD suspension for any given model, and the suspension is upgraded so that the Sag is less, then the stand will likely be too short.  If there's a way to modify/adjust it, no problem.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

I know what you mean. I tried a friend of mine road glide with traxxion dynamics fork and bitubos. Holy molly!! that was a different bike. The mod is about $2,000 and gotta take the bike to Atlanta. I just can't afford it right now, but is very high in my wish list .

:jack: :jack: :jack: :jack:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:34:40 PM by darth davidson »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

I know what you mean. I tried a friend of mine road glide with traxxion dynamics fork and bitubos. Holy molly!! that was a different bike. The mod is about $2,000 and gotta take the bike to Atlanta. I just can't afford it right now, but is very high in my wish list .

:jack: :jack: :jack: :jack:

That is the best of the best.  Warning:  Once you've had suspension that good, you can never go back.  ;)

TTS Mastertune

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »

Great info guys. The Traxxion system does sound like an awesome setup. A bit rich for me at this point in time so I'll settle for the Monotubes up front. I've read numerous posts about the 940's and just how much of a change they make but like you said, there are several good shock out there...just not the stock ones. Not sure how long the monotubes will last but maybe a Traxxion replacment in the future is possible if I keep this bike that long. No desire to sell or trade at this point but who knows what they'll do in the future that would pry me off my steed.

Thanks for more info.  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Softail Custom

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

Great info guys. The Traxxion system does sound like an awesome setup. A bit rich for me at this point in time so I'll settle for the Monotubes up front. I've read numerous posts about the 940's and just how much of a change they make but like you said, there are several good shock out there...just not the stock ones. Not sure how long the monotubes will last but maybe a Traxxion replacment in the future is possible if I keep this bike that long. No desire to sell or trade at this point but who knows what they'll do in the future that would pry me off my steed.

Thanks for more info.  :2vrolijk_21:

From all reports, the Monotubes are a very good choice.   :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »

Monotubes are a significant improvement over stock. Very satisfied with overall performance.
124 137HP/147TQ

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »

:confused5:
I read thru most of these posts pretty quickly,  and maybe missed any ref. to getting the damn bike OFF of the centerstand.  I bought one of those Wheeldock stands and yes,  ya gotta get the "drill" down (with the kickstand down as a precaution) to get an 850 pound plus PIG onto it.  However,  (unlike my Triumph of many, many yrs past),  you (or at least I cannot) ride it off of the stand.  Even with a passenger,  most of the time I have to "rock" the bike to get it off of the stand..............elsewise,  I'm burning miles of tread off of the rear tire as it sits there and smokes and we're going nowhere. :-\

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

I read thru most of these posts pretty quickly,  and maybe missed any ref. to getting the damn bike OFF of the centerstand.  I bought one of those Wheeldock stands and yes,  ya gotta get the "drill" down (with the kickstand down as a precaution) to get an 850 pound plus PIG onto it.  However,  (unlike my Triumph of many, many yrs past),  you (or at least I cannot) ride it off of the stand.  Even with a passenger,  most of the time I have to "rock" the bike to get it off of the stand..............elsewise,  I'm burning miles of tread off of the rear tire as it sits there and smokes and we're going nowhere. :-\

Obviously if you have a lot of effort to get the bike on the stand and then off the stand, something isn't right.  The EZ-Up folks claim you can put it on the stand while still sitting on the bike, and you can ride off the stand.  Give them a call and see what they have to say, you might have the wrong unit for your particular bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »

Moscooter, I agree with Jerry.  Somethings wrong with your setup.  I started this thread because of how satisfied I am with the Wheeldock E Z Up stand on my RGU.  Very little effort is required to put it on the stand and riding off the stand is as easy as putting the bike in gear!  The only problem I ever had getting off the stand was one recent gas stop when I didn't realize the concrete paving "dipped" right behind where I chose to drop my stand.  Filled up the tank and went to ride off and got nothing but wheel spin.  It was quite a load to push the bike forward off the stand but I should have noticed the dip.  I'm pretty old but I still try to learn something new every day.  That was my lesson learned for that day!  Ride safe!
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

redeagle2002

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »

just installed on on my 2012 cvo roadglide,  it was not quite right, so I sent an email in at 11am on a saturday morning and Rod, the owner called me back in just a few minutes with a couple of small tweaks to make a better fit. He was right on the money and I am very pleased with the result. These guys are  great to work with and very helpful. If this looks like something you want for your bike, these are the guys to buy it from. Well made , sturdy and excellent service.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.