Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does this make sense?  (Read 814 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Does this make sense?
« on: August 14, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »

I am trying to eliminate a recently acquired wobble in my '01 Ultra. In my efforts I have added the Ride-Str8, checked and double checked just about everything. I am now considering Sta-Bo bushings. However, since I did not have this problem before I got my new Avon tires, I am thinking that the Avons are the root of the problem.

I have run Dunlops and Metzlers and never had this problem. I know Avon is made of a softer compound, hence they are stickier and have a shorter mileage span. I just wonder if they are so soft, that upon hard accelleration, the tire is deforming from the HP an TQ transfer. On the left side Wide White Wall, there are obvious scuff marks where the tire has rubbed the belt. I know it's not the belt guard, because it was removed. There is no rubbing on the belt when I spin the wheel by hand. The tire and wheel spin true, and there is sufficient clearance. I've checked all bolts and clearances, tire pressure is spot on, and the wheel weights have not flung off. However, the scuff mark makes me wonder if the tire is deforming when it is put under load, i.e. weight, HP/TQ, causing the sidewall to scuff the belt. If i ride up to 85-95mph, no problem. If I get on it to pass, and crank it up to 85-95 the wobble starts.

What do you guys think?
Is it possible?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Does this make sense?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »

Tires do play a major roll in wobble, so yes its possible. You stated that the problem did not exist prior to the Avons so that seems like the first place to look. The belt could contact the tire during accel or decel, they do bounce around a bit, mostly up and down though. Typically at high speeds the tires do expand but not in width, they get a bit taller from the centrifical force.

What size rear tire did you use?
What rear shocks do you have? What is the air pressure if they are HD air shocks?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:00:04 AM »

Tires do play a major roll in wobble, so yes its possible. You stated that the problem did not exist prior to the Avons so that seems like the first place to look. The belt could contact the tire during accel or decel, they do bounce around a bit, mostly up and down though. Typically at high speeds the tires do expand but not in width, they get a bit taller from the centrifical force.

What size rear tire did you use?
What rear shocks do you have? What is the air pressure if they are HD air shocks?

I'm running a 130, the skinniest one there is. I have the OEM HD Shocksand am running about 15lbs front and rear. I know the belt jumps up and dwn a bit, but I have had three WWW tires on the rear, and none of them have gotten scuff marks before. I think I may have a defective tire.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 06:48:30 AM »

I'm running a 130, the skinniest one there is. I have the OEM HD Shocksand am running about 15lbs front and rear. I know the belt jumps up and dwn a bit, but I have had three WWW tires on the rear, and none of them have gotten scuff marks before. I think I may have a defective tire.

I ran Avons on my Honda and the tire guy told me to run two pounds more air both front and rear than the stock tires (40/42), you might give that a try.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »

cheap way to find out is if you have a friend with similar wheels, swap them out and see if the wobble still exists.

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily condemn the Avons in general. It is quite possible that you may have a bad belt in one of the tires. I agree that you should try a known good tire and see if the problem goes away. I would try the front tire first if it seems to be coming from the front end instead of the rear. Avons do require more air than Dunlops and you should go to their website to check the specific recommendations for your tire and tire size although a few pounds difference should not cause the wobble. If you determine that you have a specific tire issue, contact Avon directly. I have had luck with them in the past replacing defective tires.

John

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.