Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Angry Bird Gets a Dyno At Doc's Performance Tuning  (Read 2999 times)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
The Angry Bird Gets a Dyno At Doc's Performance Tuning
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »

Well here is what I have to start:
2009 CVO SERG
110" motor
Stock heads
.030 Cometic Head gaskets
Andrews 54 cams
Stock TB
Stock Ventalater air cleaner
Drago's Dragulas 2-1
TTS master with Fullsac stage II map

The bike ran well and the only real issue I noticed was an occasional pop or spit if I crack the throttle before a down shift. Milage going to Flordia was a little over 40mpg. I compared with a 2010 - 96" road glide only mod a SE muffler and our gas consumption was only .4 gal difference.

Monday morning at 9am I arrived at Docs. Doc told me his computer had crashed last friday and he paid $650 to have a hard drive put in it. He then spent all day sat. reloading all his programs etc. Doc had arrived at 6am and finished the bike he had on the dyno during the crash. He had me ride my bike up on the dyno and got started.

First thing Doc did was check my O2 sensors and find my rear sensor was not working and my front was lazy. He showed me what a good sensor looks like on the computer screen. Doc had them onsite so I told him to install, both. Once installed he pulled them up on the screen and both worked fine. I got a thumbs up from inside as I watched thru the window and could see them on the computer. Next thing he dumped my fullsac map and put one of his in. He worked on it for a hour or so and we all took a lunch break. One of Doc's buddies Ed stopped in and had lunch with us. Back at the dyno. Doc worked hard on it most of the afternoon. Interesting to me to watch that he had it in 5th gear idling and filing in tables at 800 rpm. Later he told me this would make it allot smoother when trying to idle accross a parking lot. Well some where along the line Doc was doing a WOT run and his computer got the windows blue screen of death! Well I thought I was screwed. Doc opened the doors and we exchanged ideas and decided to reboot and see what happens. Well it came back up ok and he was able to continue. Man my heart was in my throat. Well finnaly Doc opened the Dyno and said take it for a ride. I backed her out and right away as I started it the sound was different. A little more crisp. I rolled out in a 35 zone and it felt like it wanted to go. Donut followed me and as we turned out on the highway I turned her lose and I was at 100mpg in an instant! I looked in my mirrors and Donut was a dot behind me. I went a few miles up the road and then returned to Docs. I was smiling from ear to ear! Well the proof is in the saddle and I am happy as they come! When I got back Doc took me into his office and spent an hour tuning up my brain. He showed me some other dyno charts and how I lost 15 ft/lbs of torque right off the line. The better setup would have been to keep the stock 255 cams and flow the heads. I got some great info on pipes, heads and cams. Doc did a great jog explaining things to me. So the final result was 98.6hp and 110.63 Ft/lbs of torque SAE.

I stayed in the area the next day to make sure it felt ok. We rode around Minneola and meet Doc and a friend for some great Mexican food for lunch. Doc made a great impression on me. He was more than just somebody who tuned my bike and sent me on my way. I feel like I made a friend. Now the big question. Dyno tune or canned map? Absolutley dyno tune hands down! The difference in the way my bike runs was amazing.

I left Flordia and headed for New Orleans. I spent 2 days there and picked up Beefy who flew down from Cincinnati. When I left New Orleans We had way too much stuff! We both over packed and then bought a bunch of stuff in NOLA. We rode out in the rain and front wheel was scary light! We rode out in the rain and when I stopped to remove rain suits I moved the ARS on my WP shocks to the stiffest position. This helped allot with the load. Once in Memphis We went thru all out stuff and got 30lbs of stuff to mail home. Off to Saint Louis a little lighter and much better ride. Made it To LeClaire Iowa. We stayed 2 days and rode home to Kentucky. The bike ran great the whole way. The throttle responce is so quick and it does not seem like you can ever bog it down just twist the throttle at any rpm and it goes!

For my money Doc is the man and I would not hesitate to make the trip to Flordia again for a tune!!!!

Thanks DOC!!!!!!!!!!!

Face Out

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:36:49 AM by faceracer »
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: The Angry Bird Gets a Dyno At Doc's Performance Tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »

florida`s a nice place to visit!!! docs dyno`ed a couple of our builds.if your coming down,we`re just outside daytona,give a call & stop in!! :bananarock:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:21:46 PM by prodrag1320 »

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »

What did Doc think of the Dragula performance wise?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »

What did Doc think of the Dragula performance wise?

The Drago's work fine....just be carefull to order the right baffle for your application.....don't go too big.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »

The Drago's work fine....just be carefull to order the right baffle for your application.....don't go too big.
Doc

Not sure whether the S/C/S-4 is better for a stock to mildly worked over 110. It's a non-stepped header-1.75" pipes, while the Dragula is a 2 or 3 stepped pipe. Debating if either Dragos would even make a noticable difference over my present set up- Fullsac B pipe and Rinehart 4" mufflers.

Glad your bike is running top notch, Face. You're fortunate to be a reasonable distance away from Doc.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »

florida`s a nice place to visit!!! docs dyno`ed a couple of our builds.if your coming down,we`re just outside daytona,give a call & stop in!! :bananarock:

Sounds good I will keep you in mind!   Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »

Not sure whether the S/C/S-4 is better for a stock to mildly worked over 110. It's a non-stepped header-1.75" pipes, while the Dragula is a 2 or 3 stepped pipe. Debating if either Dragos would even make a noticable difference over my present set up- Fullsac B pipe and Rinehart 4" mufflers.

Glad your bike is running top notch, Face. You're fortunate to be a reasonable distance away from Doc.

I am sold on the Dragula! I love the sound. It can be quiet if your easy on the throttle. When you roll it on hard the sound is deep and awesome. When you back off hard it really cackles..... I love the look and finish is first class. Get the right baffles and you will be happy!!!! Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.