Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Premium oil cooler (26157-07) installation on a CVO breakout  (Read 8586 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited

I am hoping to install the premium oil cooler by myself (as opposed to letting the service department do it) and am a bit confused as to the included HD instructions that came with the kit.

The only thing the kit says I need to purchase in addition to what is included is the HD High performance sealant (99650-02) to be able to put the chrome cover on the cooler. So when I read the instruction and it stated:

Remove the spin-on oil filter and oil filter adapter from oil filter mount location. Clean the oil filter mounting area thoroughly. Discard oil filter and adapter.

I was thinking that a new oil filter is included in the kit. So I see an oil filter adapter but no oil filter listed as part of the kit.

Later on the instruction reads:

Lubricate a new oil filter's seal with new engine oil. Thread filter on until seal touches mounting surface, then turn an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

So I need to have an oil filter ( a new one since I was instructed to throw the old one away) but it's not in the kit and yet I am not instructed to buy one as per the sealant being the only thing missing (according to the instruction sheet).

Any help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. As this is my first time messing with the bike I am overly cautious for obvious reasons.

Info on the bike: 2013 CVO breakout with 500 miles on it so far. Soon to be double and triple that if it stops raining long enough.

Thank you in advance.

Cam

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: Premium oil cooler (26157-07) installation on a CVO breakout
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:45:26 AM »

Don't know if you have already purchased the HD oil cooler kit, but if not you might want to consider the "OILBUD",
more expensive than the HD kit, but works much better, I have the HD kit on my CVO Road King, in all honesty it isn't that effective even with the electric fans I fitted (big sky fans) when in town stop and go traffic when the temps are high. Good Luck.
WHUFC   COYI

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »

Hey Cam,

Ride in the rain! Why wait. It is a free water cooling system from the heavens!  :bananarock: I have 500 on mine too. Just spent the afternoon shining her back up after getting caught 3 times.

I will be following this, I am wanting that same oil cooler but I was waiting to do everything at 1000 mile service.

Eric

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »

Is an oil cooler really necessary on bike as open as the BO?  Was just wondering. My oil temps on my springer stay around 210 - 215 degrees on the hottest of days regardless of how hard I might be riding.  I'm not sure that I would want the temps to run any lower.  I don't think it gets any warmer in VA than in TN.   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »

Mine only get questionable when I am stuck in traffic and that is worse here I am sure. I don't have a guage but mine shut off and EITMS was kicking in after 30 minutes of stop and go traffic. I never had it over heat just riding though but traffic is not going to get any better. Plus they are douche bags here about bike using the breakdown lane. In NC I would ride the breakdown or the middle if I am over heating. HEre they will run you into a ditch to keep you from getting ahead.

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »

I put the Oil Bud oil cooler on my CVO Convertible.  I got it because it keeps the classic looks that the Softail should have.  It is more expensive, but I didn't want to see an oil cooler on my Softail.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

I guess if I were going to have one it would have to be the Oil Bud cooler. 
Jesus is Lord

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »

My problem is also the stop and go traffic. But as Eric said the rain, which has been nonstop as of late, does cool things down a lot!  Been caught three times over the past two weeks and am getting real good at washing and polishing the bike for the next rain incident. :'(

I would have opted for an OilBud had I known about it before I bought the HD oil cooler so HD it is for now.

The dealer has had my bike since Thursday PM for the 1000 mile service, stage 1, and V&H BR 2 into 2 (I'll get it back tomorrow AM). But they said they would not have time to install the oil cooler so I will be attempting to do it myself next weekend. I have read the instructions a couple of times and it sounds like I should be able to pull it off.

I can keep y'all posted if you'd like as to the steps/difficulty/etc.

Cam

Black denim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 03:19:09 AM »

I put the Oil Bud oil cooler on my CVO Convertible.  I got it because it keeps the classic looks that the Softail should have.  It is more expensive, but I didn't want to see an oil cooler on my Softail.

Great oil cooler I like it, but can you jack up the bike on the frame and how is it to changing transmission oil?
2013 CVO Breakout Black Diamond

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »

My problem is also the stop and go traffic. But as Eric said the rain, which has been nonstop as of late, does cool things down a lot!  Been caught three times over the past two weeks and am getting real good at washing and polishing the bike for the next rain incident. :'(

I would have opted for an OilBud had I known about it before I bought the HD oil cooler so HD it is for now.

The dealer has had my bike since Thursday PM for the 1000 mile service, stage 1, and V&H BR 2 into 2 (I'll get it back tomorrow AM). But they said they would not have time to install the oil cooler so I will be attempting to do it myself next weekend. I have read the instructions a couple of times and it sounds like I should be able to pull it off.

I can keep y'all posted if you'd like as to the steps/difficulty/etc.

Cam
The HD cooler works fine when the bikes moving but when you start getting stuck in the stop and go traffic you are better off with a set of cooling fans!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:25:35 AM »

Another shot of the WPW Fans on my 2012 Convertible,
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Black denim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

The HD cooler works fine when the bikes moving but when you start getting stuck in the stop and go traffic you are better off with a set of cooling fans!

Is it operated automatically or do you have a separate switch for on off?
2013 CVO Breakout Black Diamond

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 04:44:30 AM »

Mine runs off a in line thermal switch, located between the top 2 cylinder fins, so yes, fully automatic  :2vrolijk_21:

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »

I have purchased the cooling fans also and will be installing them next weekend along withe the oil cooler.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »

I have purchased the cooling fans also and will be installing them next weekend along withe the oil cooler.
Very simple install on the Fans, about 15/20 minutes,
One bit of advice! if you are going to fit the Oil cooler, I would also install the lower temp Thermostat that WPW offer! for the sake of about $25 you can drop the overall temp by another 10 degrees!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.