Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Switch run-on problem...  (Read 2107 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Starter Switch run-on problem...
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:12 PM »

You ever have any problem with your starter switch engaging the starter motor when the bike is running? Seems like maybe a short in the switch housing, but the stealer can't find anything wrong.

In its proper configuration, the starter will engage spontaneously when the engine is running as if the start button were depressed, which of course is not good for the starter motor, right?

I am confident that it is not the starter, because this is the second time it has happened with 2 different starters. The first time was with the original OEM starter about 3 years ago, which I replaced about a year ago with the 14KW high performance starter (Chrome, of course) - and it is doing it again.

I said, "in its proper configuration" because until I figure this out I have the starter unplugged at the quick connect fitting on the started motor. I have to reach down and plug it in, start the bike, then unplug it to protect the starter motor and run with it unplugged - which as you might imagine, is a pain in the butt.

Thoughts or suggestions?

"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

Re: Starter Switch run-on problem...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »

I'd rather turn a lot of wrenches than try to track down an electrical problem.  That said, I'd probably start with the handlebar switch. It's relatively easy to inspect, test and possible replace.  Shouldn't be too expensive, either.  Since you've already replaced the starter, I wouldn't think the problem would be down there, or with the solenoid (I presume the new starter was equipped with it's own solenoid?).  It sounds like this was going on before anyof your latest spills so I also presume that nothing new was damaged during those incidents(?).  By the Dealer replacing something nearby on the bike, for example.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:41:37 PM »

The handlebar switch operates the starter relay, the starter relay operates the solenoid, the solenoid operates the starter

If you are disconnecting the relay from the solenoid by disconnecting the green wire with the quick-disconnect coupler (on the solenoid) and the problem goes away - then the problem is either the switch or the relay or the wiring connecting them.

The relay will be in a holder, (I haven't got time at 23:30 to go and tear my bike down to find it but it will be there under the seat or under the fuse cover on the left  (while sitting on bike)side depending on your ride - I'm on a SEEG and I'm not familiar with the FXR's

Replace the relay with a new one and ride on (as Kuryakyn like to say) if you still have the problem it's the handlebar switch or wiring between the relay and the h/bar switch

At least you will have narrowed it down to a smaller area but I don't fancy swapping out the h/bar switch - no sirree

Good Luck

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »

Good idea, Dave.  I forgot about the starter relay.  On an FXR, it's just to the left of the ignition module under the right side cover.  Easier to check than the handlebar switch. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.