Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-tune needed?  (Read 1277 times)

07CVO.RK

• Junior CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLSTSE
Re-tune needed?
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »

Just bought my wife a used 2010 CVO Convertible. It came with Vance & Hines Big Shots staggered pipes. I've never been a fan of V&H so I will be changing to Rinehart 2 into 1. We are then getting a Thundermax tuner installed in Sturgis. My question is: Do I need to have it re-mapped for our ride to Sturgis? It is a 1700 km (1060 miles) trip. Or will it be alright until we get there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
120R, 10.8:1 compression, T-man 660SM cams, 58 mm HPI TB, HPI V2 intake, D&D Boarzilla with ghost pipe, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Wild One 502 Apes. Road King converted to Road Glide

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
Re: Re-tune needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:10:42 AM »

I'm sure a lot of people will have very thoughtful answers to your question.....but if it were me, I'd slap the new exhaust on the bike then take it for a ride.  If it rides well, then wait till you get to Sturgis.  If it runs like chit, then you'll know you need to tune it. 
Jake

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »

Just bought my wife a used 2010 CVO Convertible. It came with Vance & Hines Big Shots staggered pipes. I've never been a fan of V&H so I will be changing to Rinehart 2 into 1. We are then getting a Thundermax tuner installed in Sturgis. My question is: Do I need to have it re-mapped for our ride to Sturgis? It is a 1700 km (1060 miles) trip. Or will it be alright until we get there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Going to replace the entire engine management system that isn't supported by HD dealers on a stage1 bike?
I would opt to get it properly tuned (enrichened for the pipes) before a long cross country ride.
Then, get it retuned in Sturgis after the pipe change.
JMHO,
Bob

Hilly13

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:45 AM »

If I was to buy a new or used stock bike I would get rid of the stock tune as a matter of priority, a tuner that can adjust your calibration to suit whatever the future holds in the way of engine and exhaust mods would be my pick, there are a few that fit that bill, some way better than others.
JMO

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »

Why go old tech on a relatively new bike?  Why do you think this is an advantage?
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

Have used 4 different tuners on bikes over the years. The Thundermax was the only I would have ripped off had I not sold the scooter. I hated it, but then some folks have great results and like theirs. Performance is in the eye of the owner.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.