Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Auto Primary Adjuster  (Read 2609 times)

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

Auto Primary Adjuster
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:27:05 AM »

I thought this had been discussed before, but I could not find it on a search. I am ready to install an automatic primary adjuster on my '06 CUSE. I haven't decided on wether to use Hayden or H-D. I have heard talk of the H-D unit getting to tight and possibly causing some problems. You guys give me some feedback. I trust the un-biased opinion of this site. ;D
Hair of the Dog

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Auto Primary Adjuster
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:01:32 AM »

I thought this had been discussed before, but I could not find it on a search. I am ready to install an automatic primary adjuster on my '06 CUSE. I haven't decided on wether to use Hayden or H-D. I have heard talk of the H-D unit getting to tight and possibly causing some problems. You guys give me some feedback. I trust the un-biased opinion of this site. ;D
clyde,

I have the M6 on my 103, and zero issues.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »

I had the HD version put on my bike before I picked it up in June...5K later, no problems....UNTIL the DA sevice tech messed with it during the 5K service.  He attempted to loosen the chain tension and in doing so screwed up the settings for the adjuster.  It's really a simple mechanism, and comes stock on the 07's.  I re-installed mine myself...the instructions(the ones Jerry provided here) are very specific as to how it sets up, but once set no problems.  The shifting and finding neutral is much easier with the auto adjuster, IMO.  If you allow a dealer to service your bike, just always be sure to tell them NOT TO MESS WITH THE PRIMARY CHAIN ADJUSTMENT....or better, just do it all yourself...learned my lesson the hard way.  I think either brand will work equally well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

jachin72

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:42:08 AM »

Clyde,

Had HD one put on at about 15K, now have 24K (including 7700 mile cross-country trip) and have had no problems whatsoever.  I did notice smoother shifts, neutral was fairly easy anyway, but now easier, and a very faint whirring noise, which hasn't gotten any worse or better, just same sound in the primary.  Also appreciate the fact that shifting doesn't get all sloppy near a 5K service any more [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Gilligan

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:59:18 AM »

I have the HD one on mine (dealer installed while doing warranty repair) and have got along fine.  Like Jerry stated, the only problem is when they are not installed/adjusted correctly.  If I would have done the job myself, I probably would have went with an aftermarket one as it seems the aftermarket makes most products better than supplied by HD..

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »

I've been running a Hayden M6 since 1998.  The bike I was riding at the time had about 85,000 miles on it.  I figured the original primary chain probably had developed tight & loose spots, so a new one was installed along with the Hayden M6.  About 110,000 miles later I added one shim under the spring.  I put about another 5,000 miles on that bike before retiring it.  I removed the M6 from that bike, removed the additional shim, and installed the M6 in my current bike, and have put more than 25,000 more miles on it.  It still shows very little sign of wear.

I hope the H-D unit is every bit as reliable since it is in the '06 Dyna's and all '07 Twincams.

Eglider05

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:38:38 AM »

If you read and follow the directions you'll have no problems. I didn't set it up properly the first time and had the "too tight" problem you've probably heard about. I opened things back up and this time followed the directions and have had 10K trouble free miles since.

It does smooth out the shifting.

Rick

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »

If you read and follow the directions you'll have no problems. I didn't set it up properly the first time and had the "too tight" problem you've probably heard about. I opened things back up and this time followed the directions and have had 10K trouble free miles since.

[highlight]It does smooth out the shifting[/highlight].

Rick

... and makes neutral easy to find again

Just got my bike back today from 15,000 service and various final warranty items (all 4 footboards, derby cover (paint), rear brake M/cyl, horn, tour pak lamp, Compensator nut torque, check camchain tensioner shoes etc etc)

Since they were going to be in there doing the comp nut I asked them to fit the tensioner - big mistake

The wrench booked more than 4 hours at just shy of
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »

Since they were going to be in there doing the comp nut I asked them to fit the tensioner - big mistake

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 05:28:25 PM »

........................Since they were going to be in there doing the comp nut I asked them to fit the tensioner - big mistake

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »

Dave,

I'm one of the slowest wrenches around, and I did my M6 install in less than 3 hours start to finish.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 06:35:54 PM by SPIDERMAN »

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »

Both the M6 and Harley's unit do the job. If you are planning on installing a crank support you can not use the M6. I do not know if it will work on Harley's unit.
I have oner 30,000 miles on this unit. Over 36,000 on last bike.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

Both the M6 and Harley's unit do the job. If you are planning on [highlight]installing a crank support [/highlight]you can not use the M6. I do not know if it will work on Harley's unit.

Hogasm - Can you elaborate on the crank support?

Thanks
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »

Both the M6 and Harley's unit do the job. If you are planning on installing a crank support you can not use the M6. I do not know if it will work on Harley's unit.

Brian, GP Designs didn't originally build the support with the tensioner in mind but you could relieve a small bit of material and it would work ok.  Now, however, the parts are built with clearance for the HD tensioner right out of the box.  Can't speak to others though as the two I've put in now both had the HD tensioner.

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »

Brian, GP Designs didn't originally build the support with the tensioner in mind but you could relieve a small bit of material and it would work ok.  Now, however, the parts are built with clearance for the HD tensioner right out of the box.  Can't speak to others though as the two I've put in now both had the HD tensioner.

Don sorry for printing the wrong info....I have the M6 in crash, a HB125 in Bessie, and the GP151 in Kathy's felix.
All 3 bikes were down at the same time when we installed everything into everything. The GP151 [main shaft outer bearing support] would not work with the HB125 tensioner I have in Bessie. I wanted to have both the timkin bearing and the GP125 for added support in the bigger motor. Could not make the two work so i went with the chain tensioner in Bessie.
Since we made Kathy's felix a mild 95 kit we installed the GP151 in that bike. Her bike does not have a chain tensioner installed. If you say it will work with Harley's, I will definately install one in her bike.
We put the M6 into crash. We never did try to mate the M6 with the GP151 since it did not work with the HB125, so we just put the M6 into crash.
Sorry about that. I had to go into the files to remember what parts were in what bikes.
Hdfr120, the phone #'s are;
     GP 510-471-9815   www.gpdesigns.com
     HB 800-893-9616   www.sohotbikes.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »

If you say it will work with Harley's, I will definately install one in her bike.

It'll definitely work Brian.  If you've got an "early" version of the GP part you'll need to grind on it just a bit.  If memory serves it's maybe .010-.015 of material in an area completely unaffecting the integrity of the unit and easy to work on.  If it's the "later" version of the part they're building them now with that area already relieved.  Have had both in hand and it's not a big deal either way.

hogasm

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »

Good deal Twolane [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I have to replace the clutch in Bessie, she is slipping real bad now. I have a new model of GP151 on the bench. uess now I will be tearing down both Bessie and Kathy's felix. It is amazing the difference that a chain tensioner makes.
Kathy has a hard time sometimes finding neutral.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 04:32:48 PM »

Good deal Twolane [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I have to replace the clutch in Bessie, she is slipping real bad now. I have a new model of GP151 on the bench. uess now I will be tearing down both Bessie and Kathy's felix. It is amazing the difference that a chain tensioner makes.
Kathy has a hard time sometimes finding neutral.

When the tensioner went in the red bike I thought (then) that it was purely prophylactic, just to avoid a little hassle for future admustments.  Because it sure seemed that that one had always felt ok and been easy enough to find neutral on.  It was still an improvement.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »

Definately a recommended item,

Have the HD on the 04 pumpkin had it on the 05 Cherry and its on the 07 by default.   I haven't had any issues with any of them.   The whirling is a bit upsetting when you first hear it, but it goes away as a normal sound once you accept it.  What I liked is smoother shifts, easier neutrals, and the fact as time wears on I am not having to have a service done just to make sure the primary chain isn't slapping around whether it be a 5k or a 7500 service.  Michelle is also happier with it she says its a very noticable improvement.

Would recommend it, provided you install the kit to the letter of what they say.   Any deviations = possible / probable issues.  In my case I had a countershaft that was coming loose or starting to so while they were in there under warranty I slipped it in for a couple of xtra dollars ya know :)

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 11:58:29 AM »

I installed the HD tensioner on my 2004 FXSTDSE2 4000 miles ago and my only concern is it does feel tight each time I check it. I know I installed it correctly Only fear is "side loading" on trans shaft and engine. I would like to know from you folks who have miles on your tensioners what kind of shoe wear can I expect and when to change.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 21 queries.