Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: H-D's big secret for 2007  (Read 6050 times)

SPIDERMAN

H-D's big secret for 2007
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:15:44 PM »

Just got back from the weekly free BBQ at my local dealer. As is my usual practice, I hung out with the Asst Service Mgr and the Asst Parts Mgr and of course they asked about my trip and how I liked the new 07 etc. The subject rolled around to how well the ECM adjusted to Screamin Eagle mufflers and a K & N air filter without any re-map. Ssshhhhh
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:01:37 PM by SPIDERMAN »

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: H-D's big secret for 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »

It can adjust up to a point, but for heavy mods it will need a remap.  Even with light mods like pipes and air kit, a remap wouldn't be a bad idea, here is why.

If the ECM has an adjustment range of 6 in either direction, then it's good from -6 to +6, if your mods put it near the edge, say it's at +5 now at x RPM, if you go into an area that the O2 sensor tells the ECM to adjust it up a couple points (due to elevation or whatever), you no longer have a couple points to go up, and you'll start running lean....or rich, whatever the case may be.  If you remap you've now got your ECM back to a 0 point (or close to it) and it once again has a range of 6 in either direction.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:50 PM »

Well, IMHO, you're both right, to a point
Yes, I've been told that minor mods will not req a remap, but Freighttrain is correct as well.
the big question is do you want to spend a whole lot a' $$ for the right to be 100% correct or are you happy with a resonable gain without a whole lot of money?? ( slip-ons, pipes, air cleaner)
To each his own
BTW - Fr8trn - you're about the only bagger guy I've ever seen actually RIDE a bike around a corner - Good Grief !! You need a new Sportster XR1200 their showing in Europe !!
Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »

There's another reason a remap would be a good idea.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 10:59:12 PM »

Hey guys,
              I'm no techie. When y'all start talking about this esoteric chit about + this and - that, I get a little glassy eyed. I'm an old time gear head. All I'm sayin in my post is what I heard at my dealer today and that is that a stage 1 breather kit and set of perfomance mufflers do not require a re-map or a SERTon an 2007 model. Y'all can argue this 20 ways from Tuesday and I wouldn't know what to think. However, I have a older style SE Breather kit that will fit and a set of Hooker muffs gathering dust in the garage and I'm gonna spend the 45 minutes or so it'll take me to put em on Los Dragon and see what happens. If it runs good here in the neighborhood I'll run it up to 6,200 ft on Mt. Laguna and see how it goes there. If that works out good then I'll spring for new 07 breather and a new set of slip ons. If it sucks, I'll take it apart and go back to the K&N filter and 03 Screamin Eagle muffs I've got on it at the moment. At the most I spend a couple hours of wrench time to prove myself right or wrong.

Big B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 11:03:39 PM »

Well, IMHO, you're both right, to a point
Yes, I've been told that minor mods will not req a remap, but Freighttrain is correct as well.
the big question is do you want to spend a whole lot a' $$ for the right to be 100% correct or are you happy with a resonable gain without a whole lot of money?? ( slip-ons, pipes, air cleaner)
To each his own
BTW - Fr8trn - you're about the only bagger guy I've ever seen actually RIDE a bike around a corner - Good Grief !! You need a new Sportster XR1200 their showing in Europe !!
Beerman

Beerman,
            Check out the pictures section under Maggie Valley. There's about 100 of us running The Tail of the Dragon and layin them big baggers down in the corners. C'ept me of course since I'm the Yellow Line Bandit.  8-)

Big B

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:39:04 AM »

Big B
Ok - I have seen the light - actually - the lack of light coming from under a Bagger laid over on a corner in MV !! Nice Pictures !
The only guys ridng like that up here in Ohio are Cops !  
BTW - it's high 30's and freezing rain / sleet in N Ohio last night. I took the opportunity to fire up the 1982 BMW R65 and let it idle a while - she gets the all white antique lic. plates next year to match my all white hair I quess
also - brand new 07 FXSTSSE in Blue on the floor at South East Harley in Cleveland, along side a new Dyna SE bike as well - snow's scaring the buyers off?
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Shodan01

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »

I thought the same with slips - as the slips fit within the 6 percent difference.  I changed headers, and breather -

THE ULTRA had a stock breather ! ! ! so the 6 percent rule is WAY OUT OF WHACK !

The bike runs much better with the SERT in place with the Zippers, Headers and Slips...
Now:

Me -    2007 FXSTSSE (Canyon Copper)

Her -    2006 VRSCSEII (Black Orange)
Then:

Me -   2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black/Orange
         2007 FLHTCUSE2 Lightning !
         2007 FXSTSSE (Blue)

Her -   2007 FXDSE Granite

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »

I thought the same with slips - as the slips fit within the 6 percent difference.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:36 PM »

B,

one thing to factor is where are you know? by that i mean no 2 motors are truly identical and if an ideal basleine is sitting on 0 and you have room to auto adjust +/- 6 then small changes should be fine, but what if your setup is near the far end of spec already if your base line is already +/- 5 thats where you could run into a problem
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 02:21:32 PM »

B,

one thing to factor is where are you know? by that i mean no 2 motors are truly identical and if an ideal basleine is sitting on 0 and you have room to auto adjust +/- 6 then small changes should be fine, but what if your setup is near the far end of spec already if your base line is already +/- 5 thats where you could run into a problem

Neil,
        I understand what you're saying, but how do I find out where I am now? Try to remember I'm a gearhead and not a techie. Beags is my technogenius and he's still off doing his Martha Stewart impersonation. His bike has not moved from my garage in - - - -hmmmmm  7 weeks I think.

Thanks
            B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »

Neil,

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 02:34:04 PM »

like 2lane said you cant really find that out without some diagnostic time, and if you are going to spend $$$$$$ to find out if you dont have to spend $$$$$$ you might just be better served spending it on the SERT in the first place
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »

Just as a side note here, I picked 6 randomly, I don't actually how far the ECM can adjust, but I do know it's a very limited amount.

Thanks Beerman, but I know lots of bagger riders that push these things to the limits.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 05:11:30 PM »

Many dealerships with dyno's run specials, such as one I saw recently: "One dyno run, $45.00".
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.