Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help tweaking a Zippers MAP  (Read 1686 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
I need help tweaking a Zippers MAP
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:13:10 AM »

This post was copied over from the Zippers Support section at the suggestion of TwoLaneRider.

I had the bike tuned by a local friend of Dan Fitzmaurice. The tech does not have a dyno, and only used a Twin-Tec WEGOII to tune it. The bike runs great, but my mpgs are a lower than I would like. Some folks here on the forum are posting mpg numbers in the upper 30s and low 40s. Mine are in the low 30s. Today I got 29mpgs. I was hoping to hold off tweaking the MAP and just wait until I got my new ECM and the closed loop system. But as we know, that may take some time. I e-mailed the MAP to Dan, but I know he is real busy and my MAP tweak has got be be real low on his to do list.

Can anyone help me out?
I'll gladly send the MAP for your review and adjustment.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: I need help tweaking a Zippers MAP
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 06:59:45 AM »

Well all I can do is make the call on Monday. I need to talk to Danny anyway. Soooooo I will just mention your map to him and we will see what happens.

Like I told you eariler. They will bend over backwards for you. They are busy as hell though.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:45:44 AM »

They are busy as hell though.

Dawg,

I know they are, and I always feel like I am bothering them when I call up with my little BS questions and problems. Most of the times when I call for help I feel like I'm just gettin' in their way. That's why I was asking if there was another place I can go for help, another site, another forum, or another knowledgable person. My 29mpg issue pales in comparison to trying to build ECMS and Closed Loop Systems.

Thanks

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »

Mark,

Not sure why you are reluctant to tweak your map.  Just download and save a copy of your current map before you begin making any changes.

There is plenty of room for you to safely adjust the AFR vs TPS map if you are only getting 29 mpg.  In order to protect the WFO AFR that your tuner set with the WEGO II, just contain your adjustments to below the 44.3 degree (Throttle position).  This will keep your adjustments within the cruising (part throttle)range where MPG adjustments will be realized.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »

John,

You sound just like the kind of person who can help me here. If you don't mind, I'd like to e-mail you my MAP. Could you show me which areas to lean out, and how much to change? This will give me a good starting point in my learning process. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail, you can respond to it, and I'll send the MAP.

Thanks

Mark

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »

Mark,

I included my email address in my response to your PM.  Send the map and we'll get started.

John

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:33:00 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:30:44 PM »

John,

I just sent you the MAP via e-mail. I really appreciate your help with this. I spoke to Dan Fitzmaurice about it today. Although he said he would look at it, those guys are SOOO BUSY that I really don't expect much if anything at all. The Dawg says they will bend over backwards to help, and I don't doubt him. It's not that they don't want to help a customer in need, they just don't have the time to help. Dan said he hasn't read e-mails or listened to phone messages in four days!

As I told Dan today, if my mpgs were 35-38, I would not bother. but 27-29 is a little to low for me, especially if I'm going to have to wait a while for that closed loop system. Speaking of the closed loop system, Dan said it's still the ideal set up for me, and that they actually have a working ECM for my bike that will interface with the closed loop system. But they are still aways away from being ready to ship it out. So I'm hunkering down for a long wait, maybe 4-5 months at the earliest is my guess. And 27-29mpgs can add up to a big waste over 4-5 months.

Mark

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

Mark,

I made some adjustments and emailed a map back for you to look at.  See my other comments in the email.  There is room for some limited adjustments that you should try.  It's all trial and terror without an accurate means to monitor the AFR.

Regards,
John
Hammer - CVO Member #641

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:45:16 PM »

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »

Well all I can do is make the call on Monday. I need to talk to Danny anyway. Soooooo I will just mention your map to him and we will see what happens.

Like I told you eariler. They will bend over backwards for you. They are busy as hell though.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg,

Did you get a change to talk with Dan? He has got to be the busiest guy on the planet. I called again and asked for him today. All I got was the phone attendant who told me that Dan said his computer was not working and to wait on the MAP.

Mark  

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »

Well I finally got a MAP back from Dan.

I downloaded it and saved it. I opened the ThunderHeart IV software. When I tried to open the MAP Dan sent me, a Zippers Window popped up with the following message:

Aborting File Load: DataFile corrupt, OR incompatible version.

I left Dan a voice mail and e-mail about this.

Folks I give up. I am at my wits end. I am going to have to think about this. It looks like my choices are either take off all the Zippers stuff and maybe go with the Daytona Twin-Tec TFCI system, or just buy a complete Zippers engine package with their heads, cams, and all that stuff.

What should I do here?
Any suggestions?

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:32:28 PM »

Okay guys this is turning into one of those Good News / Bad News things. Perfect for Halloween.

The good news is that I finally got Dans MAP today.
The bad news is that it was a MAP from an incompatible file source and corrupted the ThunderHeart IV software on my PC. Everything was screwed up. I could not even link to the bike. Randy finally called back and told me that in order to get everthing working again, I had to delete the whole program, and reinstall it again. I did that and managed to get the software working again. The first thing I did was delete the new MAP that Dan just sent me. I don't need that headache lurking on my PC anymore.

For now I am using a MAP that John, (hdfr120) sent me. It seems to be working for now without any problems, I'll run a tank of gas through it and see what the MPGs are. In the mean time I'll wait and see what kind of a new MAP Dan comes up with to improve my fuel economy from 27/29MPGs. Hopefully he will send it in the correct format.

Right now I'm afraid to look up, 'cause I know I'll see that Albatross circling overhead.

Mark

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.