Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Trailering with a Jeep?  (Read 7874 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Trailering with a Jeep?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »

Well, she is pretty dead set on a 2014, 4 door Rubicon with two package, modest jack up and bigger tires.

The four door model is a longer wheel base.  Just don't see those on the Rubicon or anywhere else up there, much.  You'd have to really do a serious body frame lift and body lift along with some really big wheels.  The longer the wheel base, the more you'll bottom out and usually the less acened and decend angles. 

If she's serious about wanting to do the Rubicon I'd suggest buying a vehicle that's already set up for it (they're available from time to time throughout Nor Cal)....then get the long haul vehicle that's suited for that application.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

The jeeps that are well-suited for tackling the Rubicon trail ARRIVE on trailers, not towing them.

Vehicles that well-suited for towing 4000lb trailers are NOT set up for rock-crawling.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »

i have a 4 door jeep with a 3inch lift and 35inch toyo tires i also installed the Banks intake and banks exhaust system it runs great i have pulled my 10 ft trailer with 2 bikes with no problem my trailer is not braked but had no issues ,,, u may want to consider a tuner for the jeep i have not done that but  the jeep freaks say it make a ton of improvement .....

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »

I have alot of towing experience over the years, Race cars, bikes, junk you name it I have towed it. A Jeep is the worst tow vehicle ever. To short, wander to much, not enough power and not enough brakes unless you are going to use the trailer brakes, which should be a mandatory. I currently use a 403 HP Denali, have used anynumber of GM P/U and SUV's over the years. Power makes towing effortless, no prep for hills, no downshifting constanly etc. A underpowered vehicle (read 6 cyl anything) makes towing work on anything except flat ground. Towed current trailer, 6x12 Pace Low Hauler with brakes on two seperate 4200 mile trips and it is a breeze with power to spare. Chose tow mode on shifter and set the cruise and away you go. Buddy went along on first trip, Envoy with 4.2L 6 and 3.73 gear. He was tired in the afternoons from pedalling over hills and planning ahead for all stops plus he got 11 mpg and I got 15.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

I agree with the last post. You couldn't design a worse tow vehicle than a jeep... short wheel base, tall side wall tires, underpowered makes for a "tail wagging the dog" down the road scenario. Passing cars, lane changes, quick stops, and the noise will make you crazy in very short period of time and then a nice quiet truck with a V8 will make all kinds of sense. Been there, done it.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »

as o-t-r driver for 39 yrs. have seen many accidents due to under size vehicles & minimum braking capacity. tried it once with single axle open trailer, 2 hd's, no trailer brake, 99 tahoe v-8 (heavy veh), at obx,nc. car pulled out & I couldnt' get stopped, trailer pushing the vehicle. ended up going around the car on right shoulder. no accident, but new clean pants. for SAFETY of you & wife, I do not recommend this. I've owned 2 jeeps, a cj-7, grand wagoneer. as everyone else has stated, too short, lack of power & weight for stopping cap. I've seen such things as small vehicles towing campers, & various trailers swerving all over the road. once they start you can't stop it. usually jack knife or flip. NOT GOOD! last thing, as stated I drive for living & teach smith system defensive driving for trucking industry. I was pulling tanker full of H2O in richmond,va on I-95. pu with dual axle trailer, over loaded came by swerving from side to side. lost control, spinning around,throwing load all over road. ended up sitting broadside in front of me. I was able to swerve slightly into a left lane(as I was in far right lane) & drove thru his trailer. Couldn't get 80k truck with H2O sloshing around stopped. I grazed another veh with ICC bumper on my trailer. I could've hit him "dead"center &that's what he would've been, had I not seen it coming & tried to leave myself an out.Point is, he ended up with 7 citations, I got 0. Don't exceed what vehicle can do &brakes are a must, & should be checked prior to any trip,no matter how small. You talk about your wife & what she deserves. Don't "jeep" ordize her well being over something so simple. get a veh capable of doing what you need. buy a rubicon, leave bikes & rent when ya get to the coast, or look for something stable,with weight cap, & stopping cap. MHO sorry I got long winded, I just think of things in safety sense & from experience. We all make mistakes. just hate for one to be traumatic.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »

I installed these on my jeep to help stop the 35 inch tires. Makes a big difference on the street and in the Rocks http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/121.htm

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »

A lot of changes were made to the Jeep in 2012 (Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door is what the OP said his wife wanted to buy) More powerful motor and better transmission, brakes and suspension.
Not saying they are great for towing (they are not for any heavy towing) but with the towing package they can do the job up to 3500 lbs. Now if your talking some serious off-road use than you will need to look into modifications. But for the occasional weekend off-road romp they work very well stock.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.