Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 12 ultra acting weird need advice  (Read 6282 times)

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
12 ultra acting weird need advice
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:50:04 AM »

Ok quick rundown of what I have.  12 ultra CVO.  Bought it about 2 months ago with 3300 miles on it.  Had Rinehart slipon's already.  Ran great but got really hot on leg.  So I let my local guy put on dresser duals and power commander.  Ran almost 400 miles a couple 150 mile trips and some short in town trips this way with no problems.  Bike ran great and lot cooler on heat side.  So jump on it for a spin about 30 minutes in to ride bike coughs and does this about 3 times then just shuts off.  So I get to side of rode and turn bike off and back on and fires right up.  Forunately I'm only few miles back to the shop and tell him.  So he keeps the bike makes a few adjustments on Power commander and tells me that He thinks it got Hot (he rode it for about 20 minutes that night)  So I jump on it with wife and take off sure enough about 30 miles from home starts doing the same thing.  Coughs between 2 and 3 times then shuts off.  Flip the off/on switch and it refires immediately.  So head back to shop this time I'm 30 miles out and I have to so through the same sequence about 12 times to make it back home.  Shop rides it immediately and has same problems.  So he checks all cables, for wet commander nothing, Bikes not showing any codes.  So he pulls the power commander off.  Rides it again for another 20- 30 minutes bikes starts doing it still.  So at this point he suggest to leave commander off and take to Harley dealer as it's under warranty.  Dealer took a quick look and first thing they ask did it have any kind of tuner and bike doesn't show any error codes. 

So they are going to ride it Monday and see if they can duplicate the problem.  Not sure as what I should answer when they keep asking about tuner as I don't want to void any warranty but if it happens to be something the Power commander did I would want to be able to rule that out. 

Any ideas what could be causing this.  When it shuts down I don't lose any lights and you hear fuel pump run and once you flip off and on switch bike refires immediatley and runs great for a minute or two then starts all over again 2 or 3 coughs then complete shut down and only starts doing this after its been running for about 20 to 30  minutes of any riding but most of these were on backroads trips.

Thanks for any help

Wesleypalms

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 12 ultra acting weird need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »

This is hard to diagnos as it could be a lot of things. I will say friend had the same issues and it finally ended up being a hose leaking from the fuel pump inside the tank. Let us know what they find.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

My go-to first fix attempt for shut offs with no codes is a crank position sensor.  Fuel line issue as described above is worth checking to.  Perhaps even more likely if the coughing is more pronounced.  But a crank sensor is relatively cheap and easy to try.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

tdowel65, When I had my Heritage with S&S 107 it did a similar thing. Turned out to be crank position sensor. Before you run out and buy a new one pull yours out and wipe it down and reinstall. If that does not work I would consider a new crank position sensor they are not that much money and easy to install. I used to carry an extra  and an extra coil on the Heritage just in case. Maybe a back up crank position sensor would be a good idea, however I am not sure if this is a roadside fix on your bike.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

60FLH

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,54719.msg576924.html#msg576924

Read reply #13 which was made by a well respected tuner and cvoharley member FLTRI. Maybe the dealer tech wants to know what you've done because he's seen it before too.

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

Would a crank sensor do this after he heats up?  When mine is cold you've got about 20 to 30 minutes before it starts doing it.  I read the reply about the pins on the power commander, and I will check that but the Power commander was only on bike for about 3 weeks and I put about 400 miles without any issue.  It will definately keep you alert when it starts cutting out then goes all the way out, especially if your on a busy highway running 60 LOL 

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

Once the PC is off the bike, it's eliminated from the equation.  No way could it cause the problem, since it's duplicated without being on the bike.  DO NOT tell the dealer the PC was on it, as just the fact that they are asking so quickly indicates they are looking for a reason to void your warranty.  The square pin, round receptacle issue mentioned above COULD cause the problem eventually after multiple plug unplug cycles.  Being as it's not been on that long, I'd doubt that in this case.

When it's all over, ditch the PC and get a Mastertune  ;-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:07:31 PM by SteveFLHTK »

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

In the car world, when a cam or crank sensor fails under hot conditions, we will often pour cold water on it to cool it down. This almost always makes the problem go away until the sensor gets hot again. Might be worth a try.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »

whatever you do dont tell them it ever had a tuner

end of warranty and start of big bills

its really common for folks to change pipes, tune, etc - expecting the warranty to be ok

its really a crap shoot and on the rare occasion it all goes wrong it can go horribly and expensively wrong

also - i hope you had the o2 sensors hooked up when it went to the dealer, if it had pc o2 eliminators on it you could be in serious warranty trouble....

bummer all around

to

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

Some what of an update today.  Harley dealer tech rides it and feels it back firing on decal but doesn't do the the cough and die.  They seem to think its because its running to lean now and think I should put a tuner on it.   It doesn't show any error codes so for now they are going to put it on dyno and see if it shows up there.  I asked if tech rode it for a least half an hour and he said not sure as tech's are paid a flat rate on bikes so he was going to send it to the dyno or let service advisor ride it tomorrow.  Temps are 25 degrees cooler here than they were a few days ago.  So I think I will go over and grab bike and ride it around the local vicininty of the dealer until it does it, if it doesn't happen on dyno tomorrow.  They actually mentioned the crank sensor but said they usually throw a code. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »

They actually mentioned the crank sensor but said they usually throw a code. 

Have seen them not throw codes more often than throw them.  Failing crank position sensors are a lot like HervĂ© Villechaize in that Bond film; small, evil and hard to find doing their evil.  When there is any doubt take the 10-15 minutes needed and shoot him replace it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

Have seen them not throw codes more often than throw them.  Failing crank position sensors are a lot like HervĂ© Villechaize in that Bond film; small, evil and hard to find doing their evil.  When there is any doubt take the 10-15 minutes needed and shoot him replace it.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a crank position sensor throw a code, and I've seen more than a few fail.  I actually carry a spare, and once had an occasion to use my spare in the Wyoming mountains.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »

Thanks I'm going to mention that today.  Hope its something that simple

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

tdowell, when my CPS went out it would take about 15 minutes of run time then the motor would die. Sometimes only 10 minutes.CAHDBIKER

Would a crank sensor do this after he heats up?  When mine is cold you've got about 20 to 30 minutes before it starts doing it.  I read the reply about the pins on the power commander, and I will check that but the Power commander was only on bike for about 3 weeks and I put about 400 miles without any issue.  It will definately keep you alert when it starts cutting out then goes all the way out, especially if your on a busy highway running 60 LOL 

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:59 AM »

Once the PC is off the bike, it's eliminated from the equation.  No way could it cause the problem, since it's duplicated without being on the bike.  DO NOT tell the dealer the PC was on it, as just the fact that they are asking so quickly indicates they are looking for a reason to void your warranty.  The square pin, round receptacle issue mentioned above COULD cause the problem eventually after multiple plug unplug cycles.  Being as it's not been on that long, I'd doubt that in this case.

When it's all over, ditch the PC )

Once the PC is installed the damage has been done  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLUG AND UN PLUG SEVERAL TIMES  TO DAMAGE PINS.. First plug in the damage is done. Many have had to re pin or replace the entire harness due to this issue.  And there never seems to be a common thread the issues are all over the place from a misfire to engine stopping at high rpm, codes you name it.

Had a bike on the dyno that would break up and shut down at 5500, if I stood next tot he bike it would break up but at a higher RPM like 5800-5900 if I leaned my leg into the baggage bar it would go almost to 6200 before it did it .. Vibration was the key that time, customer was able to ride the bike for a month or so before it really started to have another issue. Replace pins and problem solved. Loose connection is worse than a open..

Customers that we tune for we ask about the PC question ever time and tell them issue's that can come up from the damage.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:45:35 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FLTR2008TRIKE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »

Once the PC is installed the damage has been done  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLUG AND UN PLUG SEVERAL TIMES  TO DAMAGE PINS.. First plug in the damage is done. Many have had to re pin or replace the entire harness due to this issue.  And there never seems to be a common thread the issues are all over the place from a misfire to engine stopping at high rpm, codes you name it.

Had a bike on the dyno that would break up and shut down at 5500, if I stood next tot he bike it would break up but at a higher RPM like 5800-5900 if I leaned my leg into the baggage bar it would go almost to 6200 before it did it .. Vibration was the key that time, customer was able to ride the bike for a month or so before it really started to have another issue. Replace pins and problem solved. Loose connection is worse than a open..

Customers that we tune for we ask about the PC question ever time and tell them issue's that can come up from the damage.

Steve, does this go for all PC models that plug into the ECM and most years they work on?? 
S&S 124" Head porting and custom designed cams by John @ http://www.jwperf.com/. 10.5 static / 9.41 corrected. Modified V&H Powerdual headpipe with CVO 4" cans and Fullsac 2.25 baffles

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 06:05:19 AM »

Just an update on this.  GMR was right.  We figured out that the PC 5 pins were twisting and losing contact.  Had a SE tuner put on it ( made sure they fixed the problem pin and after 1000 miles no problems.  Had it dyno'd at time as well.  But sure did go the long $ way around to figure it out. 
Thanks for advice.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.