Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Starting bike in Neutral  (Read 13075 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Starting bike in Neutral
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »

That's better than I often managed!  

Same here!

Was working in a garage at my first $$ paying job after High School for the magnificent sum of $1 an hour. Worked for 2 brothers - back alley small town garage. Worked on everything from cars to trucks to tractors to motorcycles.  Both brothers had Harleys (an Electra & a Duo Glide) & I used to look at them sort of like a dog looks at a ribeye through a butcher shop window.  One Saturday (worked til noon on Sat.) one of them says  'crank that up & move it over here.'  Was parked outside, they were doing an oil change inside.  So I get up over the kick start with 1 leg - all 155 pounds of me - & give it a sharp kick.  Got about 3/4 of the way down.... Had kick started a few Hondas & Kawas but never a Harley.  Up on a center stand (I think), so when it threw me up & off the bike did not fall over. Much laughter of course. I got up, got over the kick start with BOTH feet & gave it all 155 pounds & a big grunt & the sucker fired right up.  Rode it into the garage.  Damn near broke my leg/knee when it threw me back, but no way was I gonna show that pain to those hyenas.

Through the following years had a variety of Japanese bikes.  Dirt then street.  But I always remembered that big beautiful blue Harley with the big old white seat & shiny chrome & throaty growl & how funny Mr. Rogers looked with his huge ass hanging over that white seat when he roared off for home after a long day.  

That bike was in neutral, BTW.  Why in the pluperfect hell would anybody try to start a bike in gear, anyway?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

I always start in gear. When you start in neautal and put into 1st gear transmistion clunks like in twolaneriders video shows. Also Billys comment about harder to push when clutch is in and bike in gear.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

If you break the clutch plates loose and let the input shaft slow down before dumping it into first, you won't get that big clunk and lurch.  You can break the plates loose with a quick blip of the throttle with the clutch lever pulled in.

Btw, since changing my primary to ATF I don't even have to blip the throttle, I just pull the clutch lever at idle, wait about 3 seconds, and slip the shift lever into first.  No clunk, no lurch, no drama.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:01:07 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »

If you break the clutch plates loose and let the input shaft slow down before dumping it into first, you won't get that big clunk and lurch.  You can break the plates loose with a quick blip of the throttle with the clutch lever pulled in.

Btw, since changing my primary to ATF I don't even have to blip the throttle, I just pull the clutch lever at idle, wait about 3 seconds, and slip the shift lever into first.  No clunk, no lurch, no drama.

Jerry

T'is true.  Get so used to the improvement that when hopping on someone else's bike for some reason the old clunk we were used to can be a sudden start when no longer expecting it.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

Interesting, I use Red Line products and clunk is less, however still there. Also bike lurchase when put into gear not much however still when starting in gear it is not there.  Just seams easier to keep in gear and start in gear. Trying to find neautral is a pain. I always value twolanerider and Jerrys advice tho so I might try to change my process. 8)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2013, 05:48:25 PM »

Interesting, I use Red Line products and clunk is less, however still there. Also bike lurchase when put into gear not much however still when starting in gear it is not there.  Just seams easier to keep in gear and start in gear. Trying to find neautral is a pain. I always value twolanerider and Jerrys advice tho so I might try to change my process. 8)
Finding Neutral  is easier. I stop the bike Turn off the ignition and turn back on the ignition and the trans slips right into neutral.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.