Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Daytona twin tech  (Read 3064 times)

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Daytona twin tech
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

I am a newbe again- I used to be on here as pfatmn. I want to know if any one has any experience with Datoynas ecm . it is supposed to be set to work with the new engines and closed loops and has been around for a while.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Daytona twin tech
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

I think the system is a narrow band system. Not sure though. I know there were some other issues but my mind is drawing a blank right now.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:47:31 PM »

Looks like a good product $849 complete , Just read up on it. It does use wide band sensors. Works on the 07's, has the 6th speed indicator support, works with the security and turn sig modules as well.

Here is the link. http://www.daytona-twintec.com/TCFI.html

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:36 PM »

That Daytona-Twintec system looks pretty nice on their site. Now we need a side-by-side rundown/comparison of this system vs. AutoTune (or are they the same unit?) Maybe someone knows a bike rag editor. This would make a good tech article. I'd like to know anyway. I would want to use the one that works best, easiest to use, most reliable and has the best mfr. support. Any ideas?
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 06:57:44 PM »

thank God, I thought at least one of us was going to say which is the Loudest !!!
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »

Wandering around in their tuning pdf, I noticed a couple of things.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 09:54:16 PM »

There is a lot of reading to be done on their website.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:32:31 AM by Boatman »

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

From what I was able to find out , the unit should be preset on a dyno by someone familar with the twintech. After that with the closed system it will continue to adjust itself. You can also go back in with a laptop and change air fuel etc. I have spoken with two shops out my way who have used them and had good luck

TexTaz

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »

I put the Daytona Twin Tec on mine so far I'm pleased with it.   Support from Daytona is tough.  You want to be sure that you have read everything twice.  My buddy and I did it ourselves and skipped chapters as we were going.  Our first call in and they were not very friendly because it what we needed was spelled out very clearly in the insturction [smiley=oops.gif].    

My only problem has been the cold starts.  The closed loop system doesn't kick in until after 30 seconds and the mapping tries to overwrite some stuff.   I know absolutely nothing about tuning but after reading their information I got pretty damn close.

I bought the unit from Kendall Johnson.  When I took my bike up there for some motorwork Zach said I was pretty close and showed me what I was missing.  Still have some fine tuning to do on the cold starts but other than that all is good.   Zach Johnson has installed and tuned a number of these and can talk you through what you might need.

One of the things they've learned with the units that they've installed is that you don't even need to spend time on the dyno.  The autotune portion will start right away.   Hook it up, ride 10-15 miles, come back dump the data and go out and ride another 25 miles. Dump the data again.  On mine I was running pretty smooth by then.  Then you put 100 miles on it and dump the data.   After that you go longer distances and download and check to see if its still making big changes.  Once you get to the point where theres no big spikes you're good.

I haven't dyno'd yet, but I was warned to make sure you disconnect when you go in for a dyno test.  The closed loop system will start to collect what's happening on the dyno and try to make adjustments.  
"06 FLHTCUSE
Upgrades TBD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 10:34:51 PM »

One thing you'll want to do is look at the correction factor tables for values that are close to the upper or lower limits.  There are limits to how much the system can correct, and once you reach those limits the system can no longer adjust.  Ideally, after you've had enough riding under various conditions, you would look for high correction values and make adjustments to the corresponding base map settings to bring the correction values close to zero.  The system will work best when the corrections are small.

That is what I meant in my earlier post when I said this wasn't just an "install and forget it" system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TexTaz

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

Jerry is correct. The Daytona software is user friendly, it will adjust what it can and then if flags the cells (think excel spreadsheet) that you need to manually override or adjust.  Overtime everything should fall into ranges that the system can handle and then you'll get to a point where everything is dialed in and no more "tuning" is needed.  
"06 FLHTCUSE
Upgrades TBD

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:37:10 PM »

Well one of the reasons I am considering going with Daytona Twin-Tec is this:

It's a wiring harness from Thayer Sales that converts the M&M to Delphi. This allows an M&M owner like me to go with WideBand Dual Sensor tuning right away. It changes the ECM harness from M&M to Delphi. It's not a Delphi-Like system. I'm going to call Zippers in the AM and see if this harness will work with my set up. If it does, I'll buy it. If not, I'll return my Zippers stuff and go with Twin-Tec.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

mroadking

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 02:21:37 PM »

I to installed the tcfi and you do have to read and understand the directions well  and after I got some advice from users im up and running well. It is a nice system and i think there saying there is easyer ways for a stock engine (like not needing to tune it if its stock)  ;)
2003 FLHRSEI2, TCFI, RINEHARTS, HOPPE FAIRING, SADDLEBAG AND TOURPACK SPOILERS, AND SOME HOMEMADE STUFF

mroadking

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 02:23:11 PM »

Oh and a setup video would be nice  :o
2003 FLHRSEI2, TCFI, RINEHARTS, HOPPE FAIRING, SADDLEBAG AND TOURPACK SPOILERS, AND SOME HOMEMADE STUFF

Tony - www.1700cc.co.uk

• Senior CVO Member
  • WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel

• CVO1: FLHYCSE2
    • CVO2: Boss Hoss (w/ZZ430 motor)
    • My bike's website
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »

I have a Daytona Twin Tec on my 05 SEEG & I love it. It was supplied by BC Gerolamy (http://www.bcheads.com) and fitted by my local HD dealer. It does do it's own fine tuning as you ride it without a dyno. You can then plug in your laptop and further tweek the spreadsheet settings so that it doesn't need to do much automatic fine tuning. In my case it was the very helpful Mark Lowe (Barrie Gerolamy's son-in-law) who flew to the UK to fine tune it. His visit wasn't necessary but he really is that helpful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 03:09:42 PM by 2005SE-FLHT-Tony »
BC Gerolamy modified heads
TW8 gear drive cams
Daytona TwinTec with WEGO
BC Gerolamy throttle body
Overflow air filter
Feuling Super Pump
V&H Pro Pipe
Cometic Gaskets

WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel when changing

telephone systems

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 03:54:56 PM »

Chuck,

I could give you the SERT Spiel, but I have typed it out several times here on the site about the differences and the good and bad of SERT / Power Commander and the DFO's.

Main thing is if you need warranty usually the dealer a few dont but most will support you when you have a SERT.   If they say a twin tec, or other they usually put hands in the air say your racing it even though it may or may not be true.  A lot depends on your relationship with the dealer.

SERT allows for Timing, allows for Volumetric tuning when done right allows for A/F corrections when needed.   It allows you to change the size of your injectors, the size of your motor, It allows for cold idle enrichment, it allows for decell detunement.   There is a lot there as well as on an 07 allowing the Compression releases to work on the 110's as well as rear cylinder cool down mode.  

That is the short and skinny list.

I have not looked at the latest iteration of the DTT system, but when I had I decided to look elsewhere based on feedback from others about firmware upgrade issues, errand issues and when they called up and spoke to the Techy guy I think if memory serves me his name was Chris who wrote the software who they felt treated them like neophytes that were bothering him after they spent the grand on his product.  That was enough for me not to want to go down that road.   I am not repeat I am NOT saying it doesnt work, it was just the feedback I got when I was looking at going that way some 18 months ago.  A lot can change in that time as you can see on this site as things get more mature or time passes and other new inventions take place this is definately a fast passed topic that isn't going to go away any time soon.

I will most likely get an AutoTune when it comes out from Zippers when its ready to be tested.
I will keep my race tuner as a warranty investment item and use the Zippers whenever else.

BTW DTT has a Sniffer system that allows you to ride your bike for a while, then after you stop it will export its tables out so that you can copy and past the settings into the Race Tuner so that you get teh fuel curve settings you want.  A buddy on this site Tony *astubbs* had it and said it worked fantastic I never got to try it.   Only issue he had was when he made the sniffer he should have used a different soldering material to hold the welds together better :)

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.